The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 04, 2013, 06:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rpirtle Send a message via Yahoo to rpirtle
New NFHS Decision - No Switch In the Backcourt

Has anyone heard about the most recent clarification from NFHS?

No Switch In the Backcourt
Released on MyReferee (on ArbiterSports.com): December 2013
Copyright© Referee Enterprises, Inc.

By Todd Korth

NFHS this season made a three-person mechanics change that involves the lead official calling a foul with the ball going from the backcourt to frontcourt with no free throws. With the change, the lead reports the foul and then stays tableside as the new lead or center.

However, there has been some uncertainty by some officials whether or not the new trail should switch when a foul is called in the backcourt going to the frontcourt in a three-person crew. NFHS recently confirmed that mechanic remains the same as in the past and there is no switch. The trail reports the foul and then returns to administer the throw-in. That means, that once team B has secured the ball and a count has started (meaning the former lead is the new trail), you will not switch but simply report the foul and move back to the trail as in previous seasons.

For example, if A4 rebounds B2’s field-goal attempt, A4 starts to dribble the ball and the new trail calls a foul on B3 near the basket, the new trail will report the foul and administer the throw-in nearest the spot of the foul. If A2 makes a basket and the new trail calls a foul on A1 after B3 catches the throw-in pass near the endline, the new trail will report the foul and administer the throw-in at the spot nearest the foul.

Todd Korth is Referee associate editor and multi-sport official, including high school basketball.

Last edited by rpirtle; Wed Dec 04, 2013 at 07:00pm. Reason: Clarification
Old Wed Dec 04, 2013, 08:11pm
Official & Member

Unless I'm reading this incorrectly (which is entirely possible), the author's statement with regard to the switch is in direct contrast to the new mechanic diagram(s) in the latest officials manual.

Last edited by Bad Zebra; Wed Dec 04, 2013 at 08:15pm.
Old Wed Dec 04, 2013, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
Unless I'm reading this incorrectly (which is entirely possible), the author's statement with regard to the switch is in direct contrast to the new mechanic diagram(s) in the latest officials manual.

Is Congress writing our mechanics manuals now? They don't even know what they are putting in the books. Diagrams 3-34 and 3-35 clearly show Old Lead/New Trail switching with Old Trail/New Lead....
Old Wed Dec 04, 2013, 08:26pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS has reversed themselves...& the "long switch" has been removed as a new mechanic. That's what the author of the article says.
Old Wed Dec 04, 2013, 11:12pm
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpirtle View Post
NFHS has reversed themselves...& the "long switch" has been removed as a new mechanic. That's what the author of the article says.
I'd hold off on reverting back to old mechanic. It wouldn't be the first time inaccurate info was put out on MyReferee.
Old Thu Dec 05, 2013, 12:26am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
Unless I'm reading this incorrectly
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
Is Congress writing our mechanics manuals now? They don't even know what they are putting in the books.
Quote:
NFHS has reversed themselves...& the "long switch" has been removed as a new mechanic.
I think you guys are all reading this incorrectly. In summation: the NFHS has not changed their mechanic.

What the NFHS has done is issue a clarification about the situation where the new switch is used.

The new switch is used when the Lead calls a foul in the frontcourt and we are going long, with no freethrows.

However, once possession changes (i.e. once the defense secures the ball), there is no switching. If B1 grabs a defensive rebound, is promptly hacked, and new Trail (who was Lead before the possession change) calls the foul, there is no switch. The Trail will report and go back.

Make sense?

Last edited by AremRed; Thu Dec 05, 2013 at 12:29am.
Old Thu Dec 05, 2013, 12:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

No Switch In the Backcourt
Released on MyReferee (on ArbiterSports.com): December 2013
Copyright© Referee Enterprises, Inc.

By Todd Korth

NFHS this season made a three-person mechanics change that involves the lead official calling a foul with the ball going from the backcourt to frontcourt with no free throws. With the change, the lead reports the foul and then stays tableside as the new lead or center.

However, there has been some uncertainty by some officials whether or not the new trail should switch when a foul is called in the backcourt going to the frontcourt in a three-person crew. NFHS recently confirmed that mechanic remains the same as in the past and there is no switch. The trail reports the foul and then returns to administer the throw-in. That means, that once team B has secured the ball and a count has started (meaning the former lead is the new trail), you will not switch but simply report the foul and move back to the trail as in previous seasons.

For example, if A4 rebounds B2’s field-goal attempt, A4 starts to dribble the ball and the new trail calls a foul on B3 near the basket, the new trail will report the foul and administer the throw-in nearest the spot of the foul. If A2 makes a basket and the new trail calls a foul on A1 after B3 catches the throw-in pass near the endline, the new trail will report the foul and administer the throw-in at the spot nearest the foul.

Todd Korth is Referee associate editor and multi-sport official, including high school basketball.
Can you, or anyone, provide the link where this can be found on Arbitersports.com? I can't seem to locate it.
Old Thu Dec 05, 2013, 01:05am
Official Forum Member

I think this will work.

https://www.arbitersports.com/MyRefe...px?Force=false
Old Thu Dec 05, 2013, 01:35am
Official Forum Member

Why is there a different switching mechanic for player control / team control fouls (in front court) vs a foul after ball control has changed (in the back court)?
Old Thu Dec 05, 2013, 02:06am
AremRed

Quote:
Why is there a different switching mechanic for player control / team control fouls (in front court) vs a foul after ball control has changed (in the back court)?
Because once ball control has changed the new Lead is probably booking it down the court and would have to come all the way back to switch.
Old Thu Dec 05, 2013, 07:15am
Always Carded Ref

hmmm

would it just be safe to say that all fouls switch table side lol IMO that would just be alot easier.
Old Thu Dec 05, 2013, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes -- it's been discussed several times here, including a currently-active discussion.

The specifics vary by area, but the article is (to my reading) correct as to how the FED wants it.
Old Thu Dec 05, 2013, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Thanks everyone... Your comments have helped me better understand the issues involved. Thanks again for everyone's input and patience.