The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 14, 2013, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Ball thrown off defender

Here's the situation:

GV game, Player A1 is inbounding under the hoop, and B1 is lined up across, but not facing her (so as to watch the cuts of defenders and react, etc.) The count gets to about 4 when A1 realizes she has to do something and throws it off the defenders back and out of bounds, as we've all probably seen before. But here's the thing: A1 throws the ball overhand baseball style about as hard as she can into the middle of B1's back. We were sort of taken by surprise, but there's nothing illegal about it, so whatever. About 5 minutes later, exact same A1 does the exact same thing, and the coach of the defending team perks about "Come on, no way she can do that?!!"

I'll post what we did about it a little later on, but I'd like to get some input as to what, if anything, any of you would do first. While we realize that no rule was violated, and throwing the ball off the defender is a perfectly legal and acceptable strategy, the force with which the ball was thrown at a defender less than 5 feet away was clearly unneccessary. Let me know what you all think-
Old Sat Dec 14, 2013, 03:09pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

If you think the force was excessive, you could (and probably should) consider it unsporting and call a technical foul.

A warning may be warranted, to the coach, before that, though.
Old Sat Dec 14, 2013, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frezer11 View Post
Here's the situation:

GV game, Player A1 is inbounding under the hoop, and B1 is lined up across, but not facing her (so as to watch the cuts of defenders and react, etc.) The count gets to about 4 when A1 realizes she has to do something and throws it off the defenders back and out of bounds, as we've all probably seen before. But here's the thing: A1 throws the ball overhand baseball style about as hard as she can into the middle of B1's back. We were sort of taken by surprise, but there's nothing illegal about it, so whatever. About 5 minutes later, exact same A1 does the exact same thing, and the coach of the defending team perks about "Come on, no way she can do that?!!"

I'll post what we did about it a little later on, but I'd like to get some input as to what, if anything, any of you would do first. While we realize that no rule was violated, and throwing the ball off the defender is a perfectly legal and acceptable strategy, the force with which the ball was thrown at a defender less than 5 feet away was clearly unnecessary. Let me know what you all think-
Maybe try to do some preventing officiating, by asking A1 to watch how hard she throws the ball off the back on that count. I know some might say it shouldn't matter, but it might be a good preventive officiating matter. I've seen the exact situation happen already in a game I was watching and about the 2nd or 3rd time it happen it wasn't really pretty. You are right it does catch you off guard a little bit, but always remember to manage situations this is one that can help so it doesn't escalate to something else especially if the two players involved are guarding one another every trip down the floor.

Hope this helps.
Old Sat Dec 14, 2013, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

There is a similar situation referenced in the case book that has A1 throwing the ball at an opponents face. If it is deemed intentinal and excessive in the judgement of the official, then jt is unsporting and should be T'd. I would let the first one go since I can't be sure she meant to throw it that hard but the second time crosses the line for me.
Old Sat Dec 14, 2013, 03:32pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Just Askin' ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
A technical foul.
Technical? With a live ball and contact?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Dec 14, 2013, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Certainly.
Old Sat Dec 14, 2013, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

The 2nd throw occurred with about 20 seconds or so before the half, so we had the opportunity to talk about it as a crew, and we came to the conclusion that we would deem it an unsporting act if it were to happen again. So when we came out before the start of the 2nd half, we informed both coaches what we had talked about and decided, as well as the player who through the pass.

In hindsight, the lead on the play probably should have said something to her after the 2nd time. We were somewhat bailed out by the fact that we were able to talk about it at half. But yeah, sounds like the responses are somewhat similar to what we did
Old Sat Dec 14, 2013, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frezer11 View Post
In hindsight, the lead on the play probably should have said something to her after the 2nd time.
If it's as hard a throw as you stated...I probably have a word or two after the 1st time.
Richland, WA
Old Sat Dec 14, 2013, 05:28pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude View Post
If it's as hard a throw as you stated...I probably have a word or two after the 1st time.
Kinda what I was thinking, too.
Old Sat Dec 14, 2013, 06:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Kinda what I was thinking, too.
Good point, should've been after the 1st one, but FOR SURE after the second time
Old Sat Dec 14, 2013, 08:06pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Wallflower ...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Certainly.
I think that I know where this is going, and where it already went. Are we back to talking about whether, or not, contact with the ball is "contact", i.e., like when a player takes the ball and shoves it into the defender's stomach to create space? Is that what were doing, because, if so, I think that I'll sit this one out, and watch you guys dance around?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Dec 14, 2013, 08:42pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
I think that I know where this is going, and where it already went. Are we back to talking about whether, or not, contact with the ball is "contact", i.e., like when a player takes the ball and shoves it into the defender's stomach to create space? Is that what were doing, because, if so, I think that I'll sit this one out, and watch you guys dance around?

You're saying that shoving with the ball while holding it is the same as throwing it at a player several feet away? This will be a short dance, I think.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Dec 14, 2013, 09:44pm
Courageous When Prudent

I believe the word is 'conundrum'.
Old Sat Dec 14, 2013, 10:09pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Apples and snow skis. Not in this thread.