The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 01, 2010, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

"I'll show these coaches who's boss!"

In my past life as a basketball coach, I overheard an official tell the table this just prior to the game. And he did - I was given my first ever technical foul, standing outside the coaching box talking to one of my players.

This official was down court (lead), so I asked the nearby official what the technical was for (I thought it was on one of my players). The nearby official shrugged and said that he didn't know. When I asked the calling official what the "T" was for (still a little confused), he walked toward me threatening another "T". Wow.

By the way, in 8 years of coaching that was my only "T".

Being an ex-coach sometimes give you some perspective on what you like and don't like when working with officials.

I liked officials who were professional and approachable.
Old Fri Jan 01, 2010, 05:17pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Shame you had a bad apple....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelbRef View Post
I like(d) players, coaches, teachers, mailmen, neighbors, store employees, and anyone else who is cordial, polite, nice, and professional no matter who they are and/or what they do.

Let's not condemn all, because of a bad one.....and I don't get that impression from your post.
Old Fri Jan 01, 2010, 05:40pm
Official Forum Member

Let's not condemn all, because of a bad one.....and I don't get that impression from your post.[/QUOTE]

Yes, please don't. I have had some great officials. This was one bad apple, and I thought a little perspective from an ex-coach might be of interest.
Old Fri Jan 01, 2010, 05:44pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Good for you!

Look, we've all had issues with players, coaches, and even our partners. If you've read enough posts you've see different perspectives as to how people handle them.

In your case - for the rest of the game, be on your best behavior, coach your butt off (while seated ) win the game, and go on to the next one......
Old Fri Jan 01, 2010, 06:20pm
Official Forum Member

I like coaches who stay in the coaching box.
Old Fri Jan 01, 2010, 10:13pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I like coaches who stay in the coaching box.
Fair enough, but I also like partners who tell me why they just called the T.
Old Fri Jan 01, 2010, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Why? You really don't need to know the reason. The only information that you need is who it was charged against. Your responsibility is to support your partner by administering the penalty, not explaining the call.
Old Fri Jan 01, 2010, 10:59pm
Do not give a damn!!

Coach, it is not an obligation of an official to give you an explanation for everything that happens. Explanations come because you are being a nice guy at the moment or you are not the person that got the T. I am not going to explain anything to you if you have crossed a line. The next thing I say to you is going to lead to a debate and I would not like to throw you out of the game.

If you do not know what you got T'd for, then you either are not paying attention or trying to be a jerk to the official. Explanations are a courtesy, not obligation.

Peace
Old Fri Jan 01, 2010, 11:03pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Why? So you can tell the coach? I honestly do not care what a coach is T'd for. That is between him and my partner. I am there to support my partner and to relay proper information like "You have to sit down now." I would rather stay out of the details as much as possible.

Peace
Old Fri Jan 01, 2010, 11:12pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I guess around here it's standard to inform your partners on a call like this. Does the coach have a "right" to know why he got rung? Probably not. Is it good practice around here to tell him? Yep.
Old Fri Jan 01, 2010, 11:23pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I guess around here it's standard to inform your partners on a call like this. Does the coach have a "right" to know why he got rung? Probably not. Is it good practice around here to tell him? Yep.
Well in most cases I already know why a coach was given a T. And players are usually rather obvious too, but the words might be in question. But knowing before we administer is not an obligation and I have never heard anyone suggest that kind of information be shared. Usually it is discussed in detail after the game, but not when it happens. All I want to know is who it was on and where we are going next. The details should not be that important. As if a coach said or did something inappropriate, I usually figured it out already. Just like my partner did with me a few days ago.

Peace
Old Sat Jan 02, 2010, 01:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Coach, it is not an obligation of an official to give you an explanation for everything that happens. Explanations come because you are being a nice guy at the moment or you are not the person that got the T. I am not going to explain anything to you if you have crossed a line. The next thing I say to you is going to lead to a debate and I would not like to throw you out of the game.

If you do not know what you got T'd for, then you either are not paying attention or trying to be a jerk to the official. Explanations are a courtesy, not obligation.

Peace
umm, WRONG!
If I as a coach didn't hear what the T was for, or who it is on, I need to know! I don't care what the dam rule book says as farf as an obligation. Common sense and a brain that functions says it's stoopid to not inform me simply because it's not required. There is at the very least an ethical obligation to inform me so that I have a frikin clue what it is that is not to be repeated! Not paying attention, or trying to be a jerk are but 2 plausible explanations, but certainly not the entire list.
Old Sat Jan 02, 2010, 01:31am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcoach7 View Post
umm, WRONG!
If I as a coach didn't hear what the T was for, or who it is on, I need to know! I don't care what the dam rule book says as farf as an obligation. Common sense and a brain that functions says it's stoopid to not inform me simply because it's not required. There is at the very least an ethical obligation to inform me so that I have a frikin clue what it is that is not to be repeated! Not paying attention, or trying to be a jerk are but 2 plausible explanations, but certainly not the entire list.
Can you show me anywhere in any book where it is an obligation to tell a coach anything about a T? Now remember, these fouls are reported to the table. So I will be waiting for your very specific reference swiftly.

Peace
Old Sat Jan 02, 2010, 01:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelbRef View Post

In my past life as a basketball coach, I overheard an official tell the table this just prior to the game. And he did - I was given my first ever technical foul, standing outside the coaching box talking to one of my players.

This official was down court (lead), so I asked the nearby official what the technical was for (I thought it was on one of my players). The nearby official shrugged and said that he didn't know. When I asked the calling official what the "T" was for (still a little confused), he walked toward me threatening another "T". Wow.

By the way, in 8 years of coaching that was my only "T".

Being an ex-coach sometimes give you some perspective on what you like and don't like when working with officials.

Still another case of the COACHES VS. OFFICIALS scenario. Many referees, I mean officials (sorry, learned this in another thread ) have this adversarial relationship with coaches -- ESPECIALLY based on the pre-game discussion with the table in this case.

An official is not required to explain ANY call, much less a technical foul, BUT, the top officials do. They don't need to get into a discussion with a coach, just a short description will suffice. "Coach, you were four feet out of your box after we had warned you about your location, earlier." Then move on. No need for a discussion or debate.

While neither a wave nor a warning is REQUIRED before giving a coach a technical foul for being out of the box, the crews that I work on prefer this approach. One coach blatantly coaching (much less yelling at an official) outside the coaching box can provide a coaching advantage. In some cases, it is done with intent. In most cases, it is done accidentally as the coaches get into the game. A simple wave usually does the trick -- if your objective is to prevent issues BEFORE you have to stop play. If the problem continues, it needs to be addressed, but these cases will be very rare.
Old Sat Jan 02, 2010, 01:53am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef View Post
Still another case of the COACHES VS. OFFICIALS scenario. Many referees, I mean officials (sorry, learned this in another thread ) have this adversarial relationship with coaches -- ESPECIALLY based on the pre-game discussion with the table in this case.

An official is not required to explain ANY call, much less a technical foul, BUT, the top officials do. They don't need to get into a discussion with a coach, just a short description will suffice.
Not across the board. I had a D1 Final Four official tell me and a room full of people that you should never explain Ts as a non-calling official. And it was not your job as that non-calling official to calm down a coach. Now apparently that works for him, I know officials that have no problem saying something to a coach. But when you stick them, if you want to give the next one go over and try to explain something to them.

Coaches are not stupid, they know why they are getting Ts most of the time. I have never seen a coach that did not seem to understand what they did or understand what not to do to get the next one. Somehow they get quiet and behave.

Peace