The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 21, 2013, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Situation during Training

I recently passed the written exam and have been doing on-court training at a after-school program near me where they do scrimmages for 4th-7th graders (in other words, no pressure for us) and a board member from the local IAABO board critiques our mechanics. This is in preparation for the floor exam in the middle of December. I had this situation come up last night:

I'm the lead and call a shooting foul on B1, the ball goes in, score the goal. I go to the table to report ("score the goal...Blue 3-2...hit...1 shot", and my partner (who unfortunately is one of the less game-ready refs in training at this point) switches with me to administer the free throws. He gives the ball to the shooter before I am completely in place and counting ten seconds. I was a bit taken by surprise that he gave it to the shooter so quickly, but was pretty sure I heard him say "one shot". The shooter takes his shot, it bricks, and nobody on the line moves. My partner grabs the ball and goes to administer the second shot. At this point, I'm frozen, not exactly knowing what to do (this was only the second time I'd been on-court officiating).

In retrospect, am I correct in assuming that once I see him pick up the ball to administer the second free throw (incorrectly) I should have whistled and gone over to him to explain the situation and then the arrow should have been used to determine possession?
Old Thu Nov 21, 2013, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Your conclusion is correct.

As a matter of practice, the lead should NEVER put the ball into play for FTs without first confirming the number of shots with the trail (and center in 3-man). You couldn't have stopped him from doing so, but include that in your pregames and you'll be less likely to have these sorts of errors.
Old Thu Nov 21, 2013, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Agree with Camron and to develop it a little further (i.e., the way in which you confirm the number of free thros), one of the things you're pre-gaming is to have the lead visually indicate the number of shots with the partner(s) mirroring. That way everyone's on the same page before the ball's bounced to the shooter.

Also it's a good time to remind everyone to take their time. The ball's dead and clock is (hopefully) not running. Don't dawdle, but take the time to get it right.
Old Thu Nov 21, 2013, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
one of the things you're pre-gaming is to have the lead visually indicate the number of shots with the partner(s) mirroring.
IMO, it's better to have the calling official (usually the T) indicate the number of shots and have the others mirror.

And, in the OP -- you can try to get your partner's attention even after s/he's administered and if there's an issue, blow the whistle before the try is released.
Old Thu Nov 21, 2013, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
IMO, it's better to have the calling official (usually the T) indicate the number of shots and have the others mirror.

And, in the OP -- you can try to get your partner's attention even after s/he's administered and if there's an issue, blow the whistle before the try is released.
I'm going to incorporate this into pregame conferences this year. I always show the number of free throws after I report the foul, and most guys I work with do as well. I still get the occasional partner that reports then stares off in the distance as I attempt to mirror what I believe is the correct number of free throws. It hasn't bitten me in the arse yet, hence the reason to pregame it.
Old Thu Nov 21, 2013, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
I still get the occasional partner that reports then stares off in the distance as I attempt to mirror what I believe is the correct number of free throws.
Just wait. Eventually, s/he'll wonder what's going on and look at you. Indicate the WRONG number on purpose along with a look that says "this is why we confirm, dumbass."
Old Thu Nov 21, 2013, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Just wait. Eventually, s/he'll wonder what's going on and look at you.
I do this all the time. I tell my partners in our pregame that I’ll stand there and stare at them until I get a signal acknowledging they’ve seen me. I tell them if I don’t receive a response I’m assuming they're involved in something else.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Thu Nov 21, 2013, 08:36pm
C'mon man!!

I like this. I am going to add it to my pregame.
Old Fri Nov 22, 2013, 07:19am
Official Forum Member

The general consensus around here is to say the number, not the digits. i.e. thirty-two not three-two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flick23 View Post
I recently passed the written exam and have been doing on-court training at a after-school program near me where they do scrimmages for 4th-7th graders (in other words, no pressure for us) and a board member from the local IAABO board critiques our mechanics. This is in preparation for the floor exam in the middle of December. I had this situation come up last night:

I'm the lead and call a shooting foul on B1, the ball goes in, score the goal. I go to the table to report ("score the goal...Blue 3-2...hit...1 shot", and my partner (who unfortunately is one of the less game-ready refs in training at this point) switches with me to administer the free throws. He gives the ball to the shooter before I am completely in place and counting ten seconds. I was a bit taken by surprise that he gave it to the shooter so quickly, but was pretty sure I heard him say "one shot". The shooter takes his shot, it bricks, and nobody on the line moves. My partner grabs the ball and goes to administer the second shot. At this point, I'm frozen, not exactly knowing what to do (this was only the second time I'd been on-court officiating).

In retrospect, am I correct in assuming that once I see him pick up the ball to administer the second free throw (incorrectly) I should have whistled and gone over to him to explain the situation and then the arrow should have been used to determine possession?
Old Fri Nov 22, 2013, 11:51am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by constable View Post
The general consensus around here is to say the number, not the digits. i.e. thirty-two not three-two.
Completely regional/area specific. If the OP's training has him stating the digits, I'd have him stick with that.
Old Fri Nov 22, 2013, 12:26pm
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Completely regional/area specific. If the OP's training has him stating the digits, I'd have him stick with that.
Although it is specifically mentioned in the mechanics manual to say the number and not digits. So if you say the digits you are doing it wrong.
Old Fri Nov 22, 2013, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Some regions make poor choices.
Old Fri Nov 22, 2013, 12:58pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Some regions make poor choices.
I agree, but this is such a small issue.
Old Fri Nov 22, 2013, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Good point Bob. Hadn't thought about the order/mirror as all I can recall is us arriving at the same place (i.e., there's not a gap between one indicating and the other two mirroring). At the very least it's important to pre-game so everyone's doing it, then refine with who starts.
Old Fri Nov 22, 2013, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

I think the point that brings the official to state the digits is from the IAABO book when giving the report to state the color and number while simultaneously display the digits. I think it's a mental thing really, hold up 1 and 2 fingers for the number 12 and you're going to say the number of fingers you just displayed.