The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 15, 2013, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

NFHS app

Over past two years I've had rules book app on my iphone 4. I recently upgraded to a 5 and poof, it disapperared. I went to purchased apps and it says no longer available. Called NFHS and they were vague on what happened and was told rules book is coming out on ebooks. Anyone have similar situation. Really miss it
Old Fri Nov 15, 2013, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

I downloaded it a few weeks ago for my GS4 on google play site. It's quite handy, and keeps me from playing candy crush in the bathroom!

-General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old Fri Nov 15, 2013, 10:15am
Get away from me, Steve.

2013-14 is not available as an app. The NFHS has moved in the direction of eBooks. Look here:

Amazon.com: 2013-14 NFHS Basketball Rules Book eBook: NFHS, Theresia Wynns: Kindle Store

I cannot find the case book - perhaps it's not available yet.
Old Fri Nov 15, 2013, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
2013-14 is not available as an app. The NFHS has moved in the direction of eBooks. Look here:

Amazon.com: 2013-14 NFHS Basketball Rules Book eBook: NFHS, Theresia Wynns: Kindle Store

I cannot find the case book - perhaps it's not available yet.
Correct the one I paid for is the 2012-13 version, but still very useful.

-General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old Fri Nov 15, 2013, 11:50am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j51969 View Post
Correct the one I paid for is the 2012-13 version, but still very useful.
I liked the app better than the eBook, although both have searching capabilities.
Old Fri Nov 15, 2013, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

I have not used the app version but I like the e-book format simply for being on a number of interfaces and I can really look up whatever I want wherever I am.

The lack of casebook is disappointing but I have marked up the book with a electronic not of some relevant case plays.
Old Fri Nov 15, 2013, 05:49pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Confused In Connecticut ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
The NFHS has moved in the direction of eBooks.
I am totally in the dark in regard to ebooks, i.e. Kindle. As far as I know, kindle is something one uses to start a fire. If I purchased this ebook from Amazon, can I read it on my personal computer, since I don't have a Kindle, or any other type of ebook? Can items be cut, pasted, and copied, with the intention of posting citations here on the Forum?

Presently, I'm using a 2011-12 PDF rulebook, and casebook, to copy, and post , citations on the Forum. Eventually, rule changes are going to catch up to me, and I'll need a new rulebook, and casebook, source to copy from.

I can't go back to typing. Even with spell check, it's just not doable for me. I took a typing class, with Miss Dench, back in ninth grade, and that was a very, very, long time ago, way back in the mid-twentieth century. Despite all this time passing, it's funny how I can still hear her saying, "Sit up straight", like it was yesterday.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Nov 15, 2013 at 07:54pm.
Old Mon Nov 18, 2013, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

NFHS app no longer available as mentioned above. Bought the ebook version, while OK not as easy to navigate as app, which I felt was terrific.
Old Mon Nov 18, 2013, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Question,

Does the kindle book include the case book and/or the officials manual?
Old Mon Nov 18, 2013, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Kindle e book

You can read the e book on an android or iphone. You buy the e book from Amazon.com.
The case book and officials manual is not included nor is it available at this time.
Old Mon Nov 18, 2013, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rpirtle Send a message via Yahoo to rpirtle
Why buy an App...??

When all of these books (Rule Book, Case Book, Officials Manual, & Handbook) are available on the NFHS "Central Hub" on ArbiterSports.com..?? Unless some states do not have access to this website for some reason. Is this the case?
Old Mon Nov 18, 2013, 05:31pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpirtle View Post
When all of these books (Rule Book, Case Book, Officials Manual, & Handbook) are available on the NFHS "Central Hub" on ArbiterSports.com..?? Unless some states do not have access to this website for some reason. Is this the case?
And it would cost more money for some of us to pay for that site then it would to buy the E-books. Not all states pay for their officials to be a member of the NF. My state is one of them. It is really not that big of a deal IMO the change.

Peace
Old Mon Nov 18, 2013, 06:03pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
And it would cost more money for some of us to pay for that site then it would to buy the E-books. Not all states pay for their officials to be a member of the NF. My state is one of them. It is really not that big of a deal IMO the change.

Peace
I don't think it costs anything.

https://nfhs.arbitersports.com
Old Mon Nov 18, 2013, 06:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpirtle View Post
Using a website is not always possible. My iPod Touch is not always in an area with free WiFi. My iPhone does not always have access to 3G. With the app downloaded to those devices, I could look up the rule reference I wanted without requiring an active connection.
Old Mon Nov 18, 2013, 06:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rpirtle Send a message via Yahoo to rpirtle
Are there still any states that DO NOT take their tests online? For example, TX officials go the Arbiter (ArbiterSports.com) under our regulating agency which is UIL. There we can access all Federation tests.

But I looked around under the NFHS "Central Hub" under a link titled "Testing". There I saw that 10 or 11 states are listed as using the NFHS Testing site. Here is the list: Arizona, Arkansas, Connecticut, D.C., Idaho, Nevada, North Carolina, Ohio, Rhode Island, Tennessee, & Virginia.

I know we have some officials on this string from some of these states. Do you take your tests online..?? On Arbiter..?? Another website..?? Anyone still take their test on paper..?? (That's that white flat stuff with print on it.)