The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   NFHS app (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/96558-nfhs-app.html)

fullor30 Fri Nov 15, 2013 09:59am

NFHS app

Over past two years I've had rules book app on my iphone 4. I recently upgraded to a 5 and poof, it disapperared. I went to purchased apps and it says no longer available. Called NFHS and they were vague on what happened and was told rules book is coming out on ebooks. Anyone have similar situation. Really miss it

j51969 Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:10am

I downloaded it a few weeks ago for my GS4 on google play site. It's quite handy, and keeps me from playing candy crush in the bathroom!

Rich Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:15am

2013-14 is not available as an app. The NFHS has moved in the direction of eBooks. Look here:

Amazon.com: 2013-14 NFHS Basketball Rules Book eBook: NFHS, Theresia Wynns: Kindle Store

I cannot find the case book - perhaps it's not available yet.

j51969 Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 910835)
2013-14 is not available as an app. The NFHS has moved in the direction of eBooks. Look here:

Amazon.com: 2013-14 NFHS Basketball Rules Book eBook: NFHS, Theresia Wynns: Kindle Store

I cannot find the case book - perhaps it's not available yet.

Correct the one I paid for is the 2012-13 version, but still very useful.

Rich Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by j51969 (Post 910846)
Correct the one I paid for is the 2012-13 version, but still very useful.

I liked the app better than the eBook, although both have searching capabilities.

Moosie74 Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:39pm

I have not used the app version but I like the e-book format simply for being on a number of interfaces and I can really look up whatever I want wherever I am.

The lack of casebook is disappointing but I have marked up the book with a electronic not of some relevant case plays.

BillyMac Fri Nov 15, 2013 05:49pm

Confused In Connecticut ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 910835)
The NFHS has moved in the direction of eBooks.

I am totally in the dark in regard to ebooks, i.e. Kindle. As far as I know, kindle is something one uses to start a fire. If I purchased this ebook from Amazon, can I read it on my personal computer, since I don't have a Kindle, or any other type of ebook? Can items be cut, pasted, and copied, with the intention of posting citations here on the Forum?

Presently, I'm using a 2011-12 PDF rulebook, and casebook, to copy, and post , citations on the Forum. Eventually, rule changes are going to catch up to me, and I'll need a new rulebook, and casebook, source to copy from.

I can't go back to typing. Even with spell check, it's just not doable for me. I took a typing class, with Miss Dench, back in ninth grade, and that was a very, very, long time ago, way back in the mid-twentieth century. Despite all this time passing, it's funny how I can still hear her saying, "Sit up straight", like it was yesterday.

fullor30 Mon Nov 18, 2013 09:57am

NFHS app no longer available as mentioned above. Bought the ebook version, while OK not as easy to navigate as app, which I felt was terrific.

john5396 Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:09pm

Question,

Does the kindle book include the case book and/or the officials manual?

Robert E. Harrison Mon Nov 18, 2013 04:13pm

Kindle e book

You can read the e book on an android or iphone. You buy the e book from Amazon.com.
The case book and officials manual is not included nor is it available at this time.

rpirtle Mon Nov 18, 2013 04:58pm

Why buy an App...??

When all of these books (Rule Book, Case Book, Officials Manual, & Handbook) are available on the NFHS "Central Hub" on ArbiterSports.com..?? Unless some states do not have access to this website for some reason. Is this the case?

JRutledge Mon Nov 18, 2013 05:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rpirtle (Post 911123)
When all of these books (Rule Book, Case Book, Officials Manual, & Handbook) are available on the NFHS "Central Hub" on ArbiterSports.com..?? Unless some states do not have access to this website for some reason. Is this the case?

And it would cost more money for some of us to pay for that site then it would to buy the E-books. Not all states pay for their officials to be a member of the NF. My state is one of them. It is really not that big of a deal IMO the change.

Peace

OKREF Mon Nov 18, 2013 06:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 911129)
And it would cost more money for some of us to pay for that site then it would to buy the E-books. Not all states pay for their officials to be a member of the NF. My state is one of them. It is really not that big of a deal IMO the change.

Peace

I don't think it costs anything.

https://nfhs.arbitersports.com

Altor Mon Nov 18, 2013 06:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rpirtle (Post 911123)

Using a website is not always possible. My iPod Touch is not always in an area with free WiFi. My iPhone does not always have access to 3G. With the app downloaded to those devices, I could look up the rule reference I wanted without requiring an active connection.

rpirtle Mon Nov 18, 2013 06:47pm

Are there still any states that DO NOT take their tests online? For example, TX officials go the Arbiter (ArbiterSports.com) under our regulating agency which is UIL. There we can access all Federation tests.

But I looked around under the NFHS "Central Hub" under a link titled "Testing". There I saw that 10 or 11 states are listed as using the NFHS Testing site. Here is the list: Arizona, Arkansas, Connecticut, D.C., Idaho, Nevada, North Carolina, Ohio, Rhode Island, Tennessee, & Virginia.

I know we have some officials on this string from some of these states. Do you take your tests online..?? On Arbiter..?? Another website..?? Anyone still take their test on paper..?? (That's that white flat stuff with print on it.)