Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 18, 2013, 06:54pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Lots Of Dead Trees ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpirtle View Post
Are there still any states that DO NOT take their tests online? Anyone still take their test on paper..??
Connecticut (100% IAABO): Paper and pencil IAABO Refresher Exam.

Officials don't belong to the NFHS, we belong to IAABO, and since we don't belong to the NFHS, even though we use Arbiter, we can't gain access to the NFHS "Central Hub", or the "Master Cylinder", or whatever.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Nov 18, 2013 at 06:58pm.
Old Mon Nov 18, 2013, 08:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Are there still any states that DO NOT take their tests online? For example, TX officials go the Arbiter (ArbiterSports.com) under our regulating agency which is UIL. There we can access all Federation tests.

But I looked around under the NFHS "Central Hub" under a link titled "Testing". There I saw that 10 or 11 states are listed as using the NFHS Testing site. Here is the list: Arizona, Arkansas, Connecticut, D.C., Idaho, Nevada, North Carolina, Ohio, Rhode Island, Tennessee, & Virginia.

I know we have some officials on this string from some of these states. Do you take your tests online..?? On Arbiter..?? Another website..?? Anyone still take their test on paper..?? (That's that white flat stuff with print on it.)
Alaska still tests on paper.
Old Mon Nov 18, 2013, 08:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
When all of these books (Rule Book, Case Book, Officials Manual, & Handbook) are available on the NFHS "Central Hub" on ArbiterSports.com..?? Unless some states do not have access to this website for some reason. Is this the case?
One other problem is the format of the officials manual. Even with an interject connection, I can't open the official's manual on my iPad or iPhone because of the format it's in.

I really wish NFHS would get their act together and get ion the 21st century. There's no reason we shouldn't be able to get these publications in a readable e-format.
Old Tue Nov 19, 2013, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
I don't think it costs anything.

https://nfhs.arbitersports.com
It may not cost anything but the publications link says that content is available only to NFHS officials members. We're an IAABO board in Maine for basketball and a ASA association for softball so I can't access materials for either sport.

Plus at $7 for the Kindle book, it's not exactly a bank breaker
Old Tue Nov 19, 2013, 05:10pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Still Confused In Connecticut ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosie74 View Post
Plus at $7 for the Kindle book, it's not exactly a bank breaker
I now know that I can read this on a PC (I don't own a Kindle) by downloading an application from Amazon.

So now my question is, can I copy, and paste from the "read on a PC" Kindle NFHS rulebook (in order to post citations on the Forum)?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Nov 19, 2013 at 05:23pm.
Old Wed Nov 20, 2013, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I now know that I can read this on a PC (I don't own a Kindle) by downloading an application from Amazon.

So now my question is, can I copy, and paste from the "read on a PC" Kindle NFHS rulebook (in order to post citations on the Forum)?
You can download the app for Windows, Mac, Web and also for mobile.

You can also copy and paste from it, make notes and highlight sections and also you can highlight text and google it. So you can do an awful lot with it.
Old Wed Nov 20, 2013, 05:49pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Still Slightly Confused In Connecticut ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosie74 View Post
You can download the app for Windows, Mac, Web and also for mobile. You can also copy and paste from it, make notes and highlight sections and also you can highlight text and goggle it. So you can do an awful lot with it.
It was my understanding that one could only copy, and paste, about 10% of the material to prevent someone from copying the entire book.