The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   New Mexio St.-Hawai'i shooting foul (video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/96539-new-mexio-st-hawaii-shooting-foul-video.html)

APG Wed Nov 13, 2013 09:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toren (Post 910682)
Slight contact on the wrist. Marginal at best. Should have no called it. I don't think this has anything to do with the new emphasis at all. This is just a miss, like every other year where we aren't perfect.

In either case, whether you judge marginal or not, I liked the cadence.

Definitely a travel.

Independent of the play in question, slight contact on the shooting arm (including the wrist) will almost always be a foul on the defender.

just another ref Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 910685)
What's your explanation when you miss a call?

I usually don't have one, but I've never had video to look at after the fact. Sometimes a reason for a missed call is obvious, straightlined, transition play with no official in position, etc. But in this play the travel is obvious to me from every angle. Just wondered.

JRutledge Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 910697)
I usually don't have one, but I've never had video to look at after the fact. Sometimes a reason for a missed call is obvious, straightlined, transition play with no official in position, etc. But in this play the travel is obvious to me from every angle. Just wondered.

Of course you would never miss and obvious travel. :rolleyes:

Peace

just another ref Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 910698)
Of course you would never miss and obvious travel. :rolleyes:

Peace

Did I say that, Jeff? I said I didn't miss this one. There were 13 comments on the thread before I looked at the video, and none of them mentioned the travel. When I looked, the travel is the first thing I saw. BNR got sarcastic at first:

Quote:

What video are you watching?
Then when he looked a second time said I was "most definitely" right. Does anybody still say this isn't a travel?

JRutledge Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:11am

I am going to be honest with you, I do not see this so-called travel. I see a spin move where the guy ends a dribble while he is spinning and lands one foot after the other. And if I cannot tell, I am not calling it. It is close, but not obvious IMO. But hey, to each his own.

Peace

JetMetFan Thu Nov 14, 2013 01:06am

I'm going to agree with Jeff as far as the travel is concerned - shocking, I know ;) - for the same reason. When I posted it the violation definitely crossed my mind. The only issue in my head, even with the second angle, was when did A1's dribble end.

Camron Rust Thu Nov 14, 2013 02:39am

Quote:

Slight contact on the wrist. Marginal at best. Should have no called it.

Do you really let defenders smack shooters on the wrist just before they release the ball? Really? If it was a dunk or the shot came off clean, maybe. But that should be a foul every day. There is nothing remotely legal about preventing a shot like that.

That said, it should have been a offensive foul for moving the defender back with an elbow in his rib cage before calling that.

Quote:

Definitely a travel.

Absolutely. Pretty clear cut travel too. Gets missed too often and defenders are left trying to defend and illegal move. And with the adjustments to the rules it will make a defenders job even harder unless they also balance out the new strictness on contact with comparable attention to traveling. But, of course, they wont since the goal isn't really balance but increased scoring.

Camron Rust Thu Nov 14, 2013 02:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 910701)
I am going to be honest with you, I do not see this so-called travel. I see a spin move where the guy ends a dribble while he is spinning and lands one foot after the other. And if I cannot tell, I am not calling it. It is close, but not obvious IMO. But hey, to each his own.

Peace

No surprise there. :rolleyes:

OKREF Thu Nov 14, 2013 08:11am

I dont know. Looks like the hook by the offensive player was just as bad as the contact by the defensive player. If I'm passing on one I'm probably passing on both.

BTW, he does travel. Not even really close. Pretty evident.

JRutledge Thu Nov 14, 2013 08:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKREF (Post 910725)
I dont know. Looks like the hook by the offensive player was just as bad as the contact by the defensive player. If I'm passing on one I'm probably passing on both.

BTW, he does travel. Not even really close. Pretty evident.

Yeah, it was so not close it was not even called. I guess we all hear have better judgment then the people we see on TV.

Peace

Bad Zebra Thu Nov 14, 2013 09:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 910635)
What it is is a travel, the kind that "never gets called at this level."

+1 And it pretty much preceded all the contact being debated here. Put a POE on that and see what happens in the college game.

Bad Zebra Thu Nov 14, 2013 09:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 910708)
Absolutely. Pretty clear cut travel too. Gets missed too often and defenders are left trying to defend and illegal move. And with the adjustments to the rules it will make a defenders job even harder unless they also balance out the new strictness on contact with comparable attention to traveling. But, of course, they wont since the goal isn't really balance but increased scoring.

Sounds like the NBE.

Raymond Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 910697)

Yes, obvious to you from the angle of the video screen. I'm sure someone with video of one of your games or my games says the same thing when we miss a call.

Camron Rust Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 910729)
Yeah, it was so not close it was not even called. I guess we all hear have better judgment then the people we see on TV.

Peace

It is not about better judgement. It is about a better view.

OKREF Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 910729)

Peace

Didn't say I have better judgment, just said I see the pivot picked up and returned to the floor before a shot or pass.