The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   New Mexio St.-Hawai'i shooting foul (video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/96539-new-mexio-st-hawaii-shooting-foul-video.html)

Raymond Wed Nov 13, 2013 02:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 910635)
What it is is a travel, the kind that "never gets called at this level."

What video are you watching? :confused:

just another ref Wed Nov 13, 2013 03:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 910639)

I see a player holding the ball in two hands with his left foot on the floor. He steps with the right foot, then lifts the left foot and returns it to the floor.

What did you see?

bob jenkins Wed Nov 13, 2013 03:04pm

Quote:

The dribbler does lift his pivot foot a fraction before releasing the ball to start he dribble.

johnny d Wed Nov 13, 2013 03:06pm

Just looked at it again and I agree, his left foot is pivot foot. It is lifted and then returned to the floor. I didn't even look at that part of the play the first time I watched the video because I was focused on the contact and location of the whistle.

johnny d Wed Nov 13, 2013 03:07pm

If the T is going to call anything on this play, this travel is what he should be getting. This has been a big emphasis in John Adams videos the last few seasons with the T coming in and helping out on this type of travel violation.

johnny d Wed Nov 13, 2013 03:09pm

Bob I think the travel JAR is referring to is that the player spins with his left foot as the pivot foot and right foot off the floor. Steps onto his right foot and lifts his left foot, and then places his left foot back on the floor. The spin move was illegal, not the move when he starts his dribble.

bob jenkins Wed Nov 13, 2013 03:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny d (Post 910645)
Bob I think the travel JAR is referring to is that the player spins with his left foot as the pivot foot and right foot off the floor. Steps onto his right foot and lifts his left foot, and then places his left foot back on the floor. The spin move was illegal, not the move when he starts his dribble.

Sure -- but he clarified while I was posting.

The player travelled twice, cleared out and then is fouled.

twocentsworth Wed Nov 13, 2013 03:27pm

that is DEFINITELY a shooting foul on the defender (he NEVER got the ball during the shot attempt - only wrist and arm)......

the offensive post player traveled just prior to displacing the defender prior to his shot attempt (imho, the "first" travel that others have mentioned is one you really have to "split hairs" on to call - i'm not gonna call that one).

Raymond Wed Nov 13, 2013 04:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 910635)
What it is is a travel, the kind that "never gets called at this level."

Quote:

Ok, watched it again. Most definitely a travel on the spin move. And "this level" puts that travel on its video every year.

That travel gets called at "this level" more than it does at the HS level.

JRutledge Wed Nov 13, 2013 05:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 910662)
Ok, watched it again. Most definitely a travel on the spin move. And "this level" puts that travel on its video every year.

Absolutely true.

Peace

just another ref Wed Nov 13, 2013 07:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 910662)

I can't argue that point and neither can you, but what I can argue is that travel gets missed/ignored at this level over and over. What explanation is there for not calling this one? It was obvious to me from every angle, even the first angle where you can't even see the guy's feet.

Toren Wed Nov 13, 2013 07:30pm

Slight contact on the wrist. Marginal at best. Should have no called it. I don't think this has anything to do with the new emphasis at all. This is just a miss, like every other year where we aren't perfect.

In either case, whether you judge marginal or not, I liked the cadence.

Definitely a travel.

BryanV21 Wed Nov 13, 2013 07:50pm

Although this play is hardly a prime example of it, I hate that offensive players constantly get foul calls after going into the defender's vertical space.

It's definitely not enough that I'd call an offensive foul, but there's no way I'd call a foul on the defense. The fact it comes from the trail official, who probably shouldn't be looking for that type of call, is sad.

Raymond Wed Nov 13, 2013 08:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 910681)
I can't argue that point and neither can you, but what I can argue is that travel gets missed/ignored at this level over and over. What explanation is there for not calling this one? It was obvious to me from every angle, even the first angle where you can't even see the guy's feet.

What's your explanation when you miss a call?

AremRed Wed Nov 13, 2013 09:04pm

Shouldn't the L be in close-down so he is receiving the play and has the slot angle?