The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   New Mexio St.-Hawai'i shooting foul (video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/96539-new-mexio-st-hawaii-shooting-foul-video.html)

JetMetFan Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:42am

New Mexico St.-Hawai'i shooting foul (video)

My first two thoughts on this, for what they're worth...

1. Possible overcompensation on calls due to the POE
2. Who watches what in the post

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ryRl9UERsN4?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

JRutledge Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:48am

It look like he got his wrist on the shot.

And it still could be an over compensation for the other rules being called this year.

Peace

bob jenkins Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:53am

Missed offensive foul.

And I have noticed "overcompensation" in a couple of my games so far this year.

rockyroad Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:04am

Agree with Bob.

And why is the T making this call? Have a hard time believing he had a clean look at that play.

stripes Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad (Post 910600)
Agree with Bob.

And why is the T making this call? Have a hard time believing he had a clean look at that play.

+1

The "contact" occurred on the baseline side...why is T putting a whistle on it?

bob jenkins Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:11am

I think T has a better look than L.

L could have closed down -- but usually T and C have to get the feet and contact up top.

johnny d Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:25am

That is a terrible call. What POE are they over compensating for in this play? This isn't a hand checking/freedom of movement play. It is a LGP/verticality play and it looks like the defender did a pretty good job establishing and maintaining his position.

rockyroad Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:25am

Usually.

Like I said, I have a hard time believing he had a clean look at this play.

SWMOzebra Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 910598)
Missed offensive foul.

L definitely had a good look at this. The displacement isn't much, but it is there.

JRutledge Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SWMOzebra (Post 910608)
L definitely had a good look at this. The displacement isn't much, but it is there.

I do not think I would call an offensive foul here. There is going to be come contact there.

Peace

j51969 Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:07pm

FWIW I think the defender got him on the wrist and subsequently a part the the shooting elbow late. Probably had an effect on the shoot being short. What do you think about the offensive player using his arm to slightly hook, and use body to create a little space between him and the defender? Could this have been why the L may have passed on the call?

Indianaref Wed Nov 13, 2013 01:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by j51969 (Post 910616)
FWIW I think the defender got him on the wrist and subsequently a part the the shooting elbow late. Probably had an effect on the shoot being short. What do you think about the offensive player using his arm to slightly hook, and use body to create a little space between him and the defender? Could this have been why the L may have passed on the call?

If you pass on all the offensive contact, I'm definitely not calling a contact foul on the wrist/elbow, especially when the offensive player invaded the defender's space.

rockyroad Wed Nov 13, 2013 01:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by j51969 (Post 910616)

That's a pretty tough sequence to defend to the Coach or to an observer/supervisor. If they aren't calling anything on the clearing-out by the offensive player, there needs to be way more contact on the shot to warrant a whistle.

just another ref Wed Nov 13, 2013 02:36pm

What it is is a travel, the kind that "never gets called at this level."

j51969 Wed Nov 13, 2013 02:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad (Post 910630)
That's a pretty tough sequence to defend to the Coach or to an observer/supervisor. If they aren't calling anything on the clearing-out by the offensive player, there needs to be way more contact on the shot to warrant a whistle.

I guess that is what I was reaching for. We have the luxury of viewing this multiple times, and the lead didn't see anything. Either he missed it, or the T saw something we didn't. If the T is going to make this call then it's on him to explain. I haven't worked a JUCO game since the 90's due to my job moving me around to much. I am curious what the current college officials think about this play as it pertains primary and secondary coverage at your level.