The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   New Mexio St.-Hawai'i shooting foul (video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/96539-new-mexio-st-hawaii-shooting-foul-video.html)

JetMetFan Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:42am

New Mexico St.-Hawai'i shooting foul (video)

My first two thoughts on this, for what they're worth...

1. Possible overcompensation on calls due to the POE
2. Who watches what in the post

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ryRl9UERsN4?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

JRutledge Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:48am

It look like he got his wrist on the shot.

And it still could be an over compensation for the other rules being called this year.

Peace

bob jenkins Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:53am

Missed offensive foul.

And I have noticed "overcompensation" in a couple of my games so far this year.

rockyroad Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:04am

Agree with Bob.

And why is the T making this call? Have a hard time believing he had a clean look at that play.

stripes Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad (Post 910600)
Agree with Bob.

And why is the T making this call? Have a hard time believing he had a clean look at that play.

+1

The "contact" occurred on the baseline side...why is T putting a whistle on it?

bob jenkins Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:11am

I think T has a better look than L.

L could have closed down -- but usually T and C have to get the feet and contact up top.

johnny d Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:25am

That is a terrible call. What POE are they over compensating for in this play? This isn't a hand checking/freedom of movement play. It is a LGP/verticality play and it looks like the defender did a pretty good job establishing and maintaining his position.

rockyroad Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:25am

Usually.

Like I said, I have a hard time believing he had a clean look at this play.

SWMOzebra Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 910598)
Missed offensive foul.

L definitely had a good look at this. The displacement isn't much, but it is there.

JRutledge Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SWMOzebra (Post 910608)
L definitely had a good look at this. The displacement isn't much, but it is there.

I do not think I would call an offensive foul here. There is going to be come contact there.

Peace

j51969 Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:07pm

FWIW I think the defender got him on the wrist and subsequently a part the the shooting elbow late. Probably had an effect on the shoot being short. What do you think about the offensive player using his arm to slightly hook, and use body to create a little space between him and the defender? Could this have been why the L may have passed on the call?

Indianaref Wed Nov 13, 2013 01:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by j51969 (Post 910616)
FWIW I think the defender got him on the wrist and subsequently a part the the shooting elbow late. Probably had an effect on the shoot being short. What do you think about the offensive player using his arm to slightly hook, and use body to create a little space between him and the defender? Could this have been why the L may have passed on the call?

If you pass on all the offensive contact, I'm definitely not calling a contact foul on the wrist/elbow, especially when the offensive player invaded the defender's space.

rockyroad Wed Nov 13, 2013 01:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by j51969 (Post 910616)

That's a pretty tough sequence to defend to the Coach or to an observer/supervisor. If they aren't calling anything on the clearing-out by the offensive player, there needs to be way more contact on the shot to warrant a whistle.

just another ref Wed Nov 13, 2013 02:36pm

What it is is a travel, the kind that "never gets called at this level."

j51969 Wed Nov 13, 2013 02:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad (Post 910630)
That's a pretty tough sequence to defend to the Coach or to an observer/supervisor. If they aren't calling anything on the clearing-out by the offensive player, there needs to be way more contact on the shot to warrant a whistle.

I guess that is what I was reaching for. We have the luxury of viewing this multiple times, and the lead didn't see anything. Either he missed it, or the T saw something we didn't. If the T is going to make this call then it's on him to explain. I haven't worked a JUCO game since the 90's due to my job moving me around to much. I am curious what the current college officials think about this play as it pertains primary and secondary coverage at your level.

Raymond Wed Nov 13, 2013 02:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 910635)

What video are you watching? :confused:

just another ref Wed Nov 13, 2013 03:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 910639)

I see a player holding the ball in two hands with his left foot on the floor. He steps with the right foot, then lifts the left foot and returns it to the floor.

What did you see?

bob jenkins Wed Nov 13, 2013 03:04pm

Quote:

The dribbler does lift his pivot foot a fraction before releasing the ball to start he dribble.

johnny d Wed Nov 13, 2013 03:06pm

Just looked at it again and I agree, his left foot is pivot foot. It is lifted and then returned to the floor. I didn't even look at that part of the play the first time I watched the video because I was focused on the contact and location of the whistle.

johnny d Wed Nov 13, 2013 03:07pm

If the T is going to call anything on this play, this travel is what he should be getting. This has been a big emphasis in John Adams videos the last few seasons with the T coming in and helping out on this type of travel violation.

johnny d Wed Nov 13, 2013 03:09pm

Bob I think the travel JAR is referring to is that the player spins with his left foot as the pivot foot and right foot off the floor. Steps onto his right foot and lifts his left foot, and then places his left foot back on the floor. The spin move was illegal, not the move when he starts his dribble.

bob jenkins Wed Nov 13, 2013 03:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny d (Post 910645)
Bob I think the travel JAR is referring to is that the player spins with his left foot as the pivot foot and right foot off the floor. Steps onto his right foot and lifts his left foot, and then places his left foot back on the floor. The spin move was illegal, not the move when he starts his dribble.

Sure -- but he clarified while I was posting.

The player travelled twice, cleared out and then is fouled.

twocentsworth Wed Nov 13, 2013 03:27pm

that is DEFINITELY a shooting foul on the defender (he NEVER got the ball during the shot attempt - only wrist and arm)......

the offensive post player traveled just prior to displacing the defender prior to his shot attempt (imho, the "first" travel that others have mentioned is one you really have to "split hairs" on to call - i'm not gonna call that one).

Raymond Wed Nov 13, 2013 04:21pm

Quote:

Quote:

Ok, watched it again. Most definitely a travel on the spin move. And "this level" puts that travel on its video every year.

That travel gets called at "this level" more than it does at the HS level.

JRutledge Wed Nov 13, 2013 05:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 910662)
Ok, watched it again. Most definitely a travel on the spin move. And "this level" puts that travel on its video every year.

Absolutely true.

Peace

just another ref Wed Nov 13, 2013 07:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 910662)

I can't argue that point and neither can you, but what I can argue is that travel gets missed/ignored at this level over and over. What explanation is there for not calling this one? It was obvious to me from every angle, even the first angle where you can't even see the guy's feet.

Toren Wed Nov 13, 2013 07:30pm

Slight contact on the wrist. Marginal at best. Should have no called it. I don't think this has anything to do with the new emphasis at all. This is just a miss, like every other year where we aren't perfect.

In either case, whether you judge marginal or not, I liked the cadence.

Definitely a travel.

BryanV21 Wed Nov 13, 2013 07:50pm

Although this play is hardly a prime example of it, I hate that offensive players constantly get foul calls after going into the defender's vertical space.

It's definitely not enough that I'd call an offensive foul, but there's no way I'd call a foul on the defense. The fact it comes from the trail official, who probably shouldn't be looking for that type of call, is sad.

Raymond Wed Nov 13, 2013 08:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 910681)
I can't argue that point and neither can you, but what I can argue is that travel gets missed/ignored at this level over and over. What explanation is there for not calling this one? It was obvious to me from every angle, even the first angle where you can't even see the guy's feet.

What's your explanation when you miss a call?

AremRed Wed Nov 13, 2013 09:04pm

Shouldn't the L be in close-down so he is receiving the play and has the slot angle?

APG Wed Nov 13, 2013 09:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toren (Post 910682)
Slight contact on the wrist. Marginal at best. Should have no called it. I don't think this has anything to do with the new emphasis at all. This is just a miss, like every other year where we aren't perfect.

In either case, whether you judge marginal or not, I liked the cadence.

Definitely a travel.

Independent of the play in question, slight contact on the shooting arm (including the wrist) will almost always be a foul on the defender.

just another ref Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 910685)
What's your explanation when you miss a call?

I usually don't have one, but I've never had video to look at after the fact. Sometimes a reason for a missed call is obvious, straightlined, transition play with no official in position, etc. But in this play the travel is obvious to me from every angle. Just wondered.

JRutledge Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 910697)
I usually don't have one, but I've never had video to look at after the fact. Sometimes a reason for a missed call is obvious, straightlined, transition play with no official in position, etc. But in this play the travel is obvious to me from every angle. Just wondered.

Of course you would never miss and obvious travel. :rolleyes:

Peace

just another ref Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 910698)
Of course you would never miss and obvious travel. :rolleyes:

Peace

Did I say that, Jeff? I said I didn't miss this one. There were 13 comments on the thread before I looked at the video, and none of them mentioned the travel. When I looked, the travel is the first thing I saw. BNR got sarcastic at first:

Quote:

What video are you watching?
Then when he looked a second time said I was "most definitely" right. Does anybody still say this isn't a travel?

JRutledge Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:11am

I am going to be honest with you, I do not see this so-called travel. I see a spin move where the guy ends a dribble while he is spinning and lands one foot after the other. And if I cannot tell, I am not calling it. It is close, but not obvious IMO. But hey, to each his own.

Peace

JetMetFan Thu Nov 14, 2013 01:06am

I'm going to agree with Jeff as far as the travel is concerned - shocking, I know ;) - for the same reason. When I posted it the violation definitely crossed my mind. The only issue in my head, even with the second angle, was when did A1's dribble end.

Camron Rust Thu Nov 14, 2013 02:39am

Quote:

Slight contact on the wrist. Marginal at best. Should have no called it.

Do you really let defenders smack shooters on the wrist just before they release the ball? Really? If it was a dunk or the shot came off clean, maybe. But that should be a foul every day. There is nothing remotely legal about preventing a shot like that.

That said, it should have been a offensive foul for moving the defender back with an elbow in his rib cage before calling that.

Quote:

Definitely a travel.

Absolutely. Pretty clear cut travel too. Gets missed too often and defenders are left trying to defend and illegal move. And with the adjustments to the rules it will make a defenders job even harder unless they also balance out the new strictness on contact with comparable attention to traveling. But, of course, they wont since the goal isn't really balance but increased scoring.

Camron Rust Thu Nov 14, 2013 02:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 910701)
I am going to be honest with you, I do not see this so-called travel. I see a spin move where the guy ends a dribble while he is spinning and lands one foot after the other. And if I cannot tell, I am not calling it. It is close, but not obvious IMO. But hey, to each his own.

Peace

No surprise there. :rolleyes:

OKREF Thu Nov 14, 2013 08:11am

I dont know. Looks like the hook by the offensive player was just as bad as the contact by the defensive player. If I'm passing on one I'm probably passing on both.

BTW, he does travel. Not even really close. Pretty evident.

JRutledge Thu Nov 14, 2013 08:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKREF (Post 910725)
I dont know. Looks like the hook by the offensive player was just as bad as the contact by the defensive player. If I'm passing on one I'm probably passing on both.

BTW, he does travel. Not even really close. Pretty evident.

Yeah, it was so not close it was not even called. I guess we all hear have better judgment then the people we see on TV.

Peace

Bad Zebra Thu Nov 14, 2013 09:28am

Quote:

+1 And it pretty much preceded all the contact being debated here. Put a POE on that and see what happens in the college game.

Bad Zebra Thu Nov 14, 2013 09:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 910708)
Absolutely. Pretty clear cut travel too. Gets missed too often and defenders are left trying to defend and illegal move. And with the adjustments to the rules it will make a defenders job even harder unless they also balance out the new strictness on contact with comparable attention to traveling. But, of course, they wont since the goal isn't really balance but increased scoring.

Sounds like the NBE.

Raymond Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 910697)

Yes, obvious to you from the angle of the video screen. I'm sure someone with video of one of your games or my games says the same thing when we miss a call.

Camron Rust Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 910729)
Yeah, it was so not close it was not even called. I guess we all hear have better judgment then the people we see on TV.

Peace

It is not about better judgement. It is about a better view.

OKREF Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 910729)

Peace

Didn't say I have better judgment, just said I see the pivot picked up and returned to the floor before a shot or pass.

AremRed Sat Nov 16, 2013 08:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 910689)
Shouldn't the L be in close-down so he is receiving the play and has the slot angle?

Anyone?

johnny d Sat Nov 16, 2013 09:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 910911)
Anyone?

I don't think that would help him at all, he has a good open look where he is at. If he was in close down, his angle would be worse and his view obstructed.

I like looking at plays from the outside in, rather than from the inside out.

Sharpshooternes Sat Nov 16, 2013 05:12pm

I too have a travel with the pivot move on video. Doubt I would have caught it in real time though. I then have a PC, maybe let the first contact go but then with the elbow hook and push off, I am getting that for sure. The foul on the wrist by the defender is definitely a foul every day of the week, including January, but I would hope we got the offense first.

dee33 Tue Nov 19, 2013 05:41am

hmmmmm

Im fairly new to this but if it were me if I missed the travel then i definitely have to hit him for the obvious hook IMO.:mad::mad:

Mad Mike Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:35am

Quote:

+1

Nice catch!