The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 07, 2013, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

Warm up time question

First of all let me start out that im not an official, I have done books for my local high school for many years.

Ok my question is what say does an official have on warm up times and for half time.

I was doing book at an away game, with like 4 minutes left during warm up, and official came up and told their timer to stop and set the clock we were going to start early. Of course our coach was upset because there wasnt time on the clock, and had no clue what was going on

Of course it wasnt a big deal, but he should have came up to the coach and said that they needed the gym for practice or something would it be ok if they started early.

Official in this is a young kid, not patched, maybe has two years experience, also stopped the game so the other teams 5 subs could go in the 3rd the game before , luckly the other ref pretended to tie his shoes to cover, (that team was up like 15 and had been subbing in 5 the whole game)

Sorry for all the needless info just wanted to know for future reference ..
Old Fri Nov 08, 2013, 02:02am
Do not give a damn!!

All the rules state is that the official's jurisdiction starts 15 minutes before game time.

Halftime by rule is listed as 10 minutes, up to 15 minutes maximum.

No other specific rules that I am aware of dictate specific guidelines for when or how long players can warmup. If there are any such guidelines that would be more of a local issue with a state, conference or tournament dictating those standard.

I hope that helps a little. Also welcome to the forum.

Peace
Old Fri Nov 08, 2013, 02:12am
Official Forum Member

Referees don't schedule the game. If those scheduling the game say it starts at 7, it starts at 7. If all involved want to start at 6:55, then I'm OK with that but the official has no right to declare that the game should start any earlier than scheduled. If the game started late because of earlier games, then it starts late. If ALL involved or those in charge of the game (not the referees) want to shorten warmups, then fine...but again, not the referee. If he had some place better to be, he shouldn't have taken the game to start with.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Fri Nov 08, 2013 at 02:14am.
Old Fri Nov 08, 2013, 05:20am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
If those scheduling the game say it starts at 7, it starts at 7.
I'm going to remind the JV Officials about this!
Old Fri Nov 08, 2013, 07:15am
Esteemed Forum Member

Clock Is Winding Down, Will I Get Into The Game ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by adinle View Post
... stopped the game so the other teams 5 subs could go in ... ref pretended to tie his shoes to cover.
Lopsided game. I've done the same thing myself, especially with less than a minute, or two, to go in the game, just to make sure that the kids who have been sitting on the end of the bench get into the game. I used to pretend to tie my shoe, but several years ago was advised by a top notch veteran official to forget the fake shoe tie, and to just sound my whistle and get the kids into the damn game. I have absolutely no rule backing for this, just common sense, sportsmanship, and spirit of the rules, or in this case, a lack of a rule.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Nov 08, 2013 at 05:57pm.
Old Fri Nov 08, 2013, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Referees don't schedule the game. If those scheduling the game say it starts at 7, it starts at 7. If all involved want to start at 6:55, then I'm OK with that but the official has no right to declare that the game should start any earlier than scheduled. If the game started late because of earlier games, then it starts late. If ALL involved or those in charge of the game (not the referees) want to shorten warmups, then fine...but again, not the referee. If he had some place better to be, he shouldn't have taken the game to start with.
In general I agree with this, but during some "travel" leagues there is an expectation that the officials will keep the games on schedule, and that warmups for a later game might be shortened.

So I have to ask the OP -- what was the level involved?
Old Fri Nov 08, 2013, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Lopsided game. I've done the same thing myself, especially with less than a minute, or two, to go in the game, just to make sure that the kids who have been sitting on the end of the bench get into the game. I used to pretend to tie my she, but several years ago was advised by a top notch veteran official to forget the fake shoe tie, and to just sound my whistle and get the kids into the damn game. I have absolutely no rule backing for this, just common sense, sportsmanship, and spirit of the rules, or in this case, a lack of a rule.
Sure you do -- 2-10.
Old Fri Nov 08, 2013, 09:42am
Official & Member

Quote:
..I used to pretend to tie my she,...
Kinky. Did she pretend to like it?
Old Fri Nov 08, 2013, 09:52am
Keeper of the HAMMER

The only time I ever shorten the warm up is if either both coaches agree, or the site manager instructs me to do so.
Old Fri Nov 08, 2013, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Lopsided game. I've done the same thing myself, especially with less than a minute, or two, to go in the game, just to make sure that the kids who have been sitting on the end of the bench get into the game. I used to pretend to tie my she, but several years ago was advised by a top notch veteran official to forget the fake shoe tie, and to just sound my whistle and get the kids into the damn game. I have absolutely no rule backing for this, just common sense, sportsmanship, and spirit of the rules, or in this case, a lack of a rule.
I agree its a good thing to do, but the losing team had the ball in bounds, and the winning team had been subbing in 5 for 5 all game, no big deal just kinda out of place..
Old Fri Nov 08, 2013, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post
Sure you do -- 2-10.
What correctable error are you fixing?
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Nov 08, 2013, 06:00pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Stupid Spill Check ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
Kinky. Did she pretend to like it?
Just two words, and I won't make a careless typo here: Shut up.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Nov 08, 2013, 06:04pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
I'm going to remind the JV Officials about this!
Good luck, I smell some overtime JV games coming your way...
Old Fri Nov 08, 2013, 06:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
In general I agree with this, but during some "travel" leagues there is an expectation that the officials will keep the games on schedule, and that warmups for a later game might be shortened.

So I have to ask the OP -- what was the level involved?
And that is still under the direction of those scheduling the game, not a decision by the officials. The officials are just following orders there.
Old Fri Nov 08, 2013, 10:52pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by adinle View Post
First of all let me start out that im not an official, I have done books for my local high school for many years.

Ok my question is what say does an official have on warm up times and for half time.
Warm-up time is usually left up to individual leagues. The local high school league used to give the visiting coach an option of 15 or 20 minutes (I'm not sure if that's still true). The local middle school league, however, only allows 5 minutes between the 7th & 8th grade games -- just enough to get names/numbers in the book and get started.

So, your best bet is to ask your head coach and/or AD about any league-specific rules. This is usually not something an official controls.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball