The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 27, 2013, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Free throw violation- shooter

I am new to the officiating world, I would appreciate your input. I have a question as to a legal attempt by the free throw shooter.

It has been my understanding that to be a legal attempt on the part of the free throw shooter, the feet must remain behind the free throw line, until the ball has made contact with the rim or went through the rim. I have another official telling me that as long as the feet are behind the free throw line prior to the ball being released that it is a legal attempt. Rules 9-1 and 9-3-e seem to be the relevant rules, but they do not address the location of the ball. Thanks for the input!
Old Sun Oct 27, 2013, 03:03pm
Do not give a damn!!

You did not read one of the most important part of this rule.

9-1-4:

"The restrictions in 91-3b through g apply until the ball touches the ring or back board or until the free throw ends."

Peace
Old Sun Oct 27, 2013, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks! For whatever reason when I looked at that in the rulebook, I didn't see that little footnote at the end of list.
Old Sun Oct 27, 2013, 05:42pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Who You Gonna Call ???

On free throws, there is a maximum of two offensive players and four defensive players in the six marked lane spaces. The defense must be in the first marked lane spaces, above the neutral zone marks, on all free throws. The offense must not occupy the first marked lane spaces, above the neutral zone marks. The shooter and all the players in the designated lane spaces must wait until the ball hits rim or backboard before entering the lane. Players, other than the shooter, and the players in the designated lane spaces, are to remain behind the free throw line extended and behind the three point arc, and may not penetrate the free throw line extended and the three point arc until the ball hits rim or backboard. During a free throw, no opponent, including bench personnel, may disconcert the free thrower. For free throws when there are no rebounders in the marked lane spaces, i.e. technical fouls and intentional fouls, the nine nonshooters shall remain behind the free throw line extended and behind the three point arc.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Oct 29, 2013, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jayzer
I always thought the restriction included the backboard or rim.
Players can enter as soon as ball hits backboard or rim but a shooting violation if rim is not hit.

Old Tue Oct 29, 2013, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jayzer
Unhappy

Sorry I replied to soon as my concern had already been answered in a previous thread.