The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 15, 2013, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
4-24-5 b seems to be the Rule that evoked the wording of this question.
NCAAW 4-24 is "Pass", and there is no 4-24-5 b (nor 4-34-5 b)
Old Tue Oct 15, 2013, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Answers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
That’s a good question. On the NCAAW side of things I’m going to ask my FNI (Friendly Neighborhood Interpreter). He’ll know or at least he should be able to find out since he’s going to be the Secretary-Rules Editor as of next September.

As for NFHS, I think an e-mail to my local interpreter is in order as well.

From my FNI: In NCAAW, these items come under the sleeve rules and regulations (and I only wish my arms/legs were this muscular).

From my FNI, IAABO interpreter version: I’m told the ruling is the same as NCAAW. Whether it truly is the same on the national level remains to be seen but that’s what I’m dealing with in my neck of the woods.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Tue Oct 15, 2013, 02:55pm
Courageous When Prudent

When Karl Malone admits that he intentionally elbowed Isaiah Thomas in the face, then I'll listen to anything else he has to say.
Old Tue Oct 15, 2013, 03:56pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Curiosity Killed The Cat, But Not The Basketball Official ...

Quote:

From my FNI: In NCAAW, these items come under the sleeve rules and regulations (and I only wish my arms/legs were this muscular).

From my FNI, IAABO interpreter version: I’m told the ruling is the same as NCAAW. Whether it truly is the same on the national level remains to be seen but that’s what I’m dealing with in my neck of the woods.
Thanks JetMetFan.

How about the more "primitive" elbow, and knee, pads that have less of a "sleeve" look and more of a "pad" look, knee pads that I never concerned myself with in the past, before we had color restrictions on anything below the waist.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Oct 15, 2013, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Thanks JetMetFan.

How about the more "primitive" elbow, and knee, pads that have less of a "sleeve" look and more of a "pad" look, knee pads that I never concerned myself with in the past, before we had color restrictions on anything below the waist.

I can comfortably say in NCAAW those don’t have any color restrictions. My FNI said Debbie Williamson already ruled on the “volleyball-style” pads last year. As for NFHS, I can’t see why there would be any color issues with the old-school padding.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Tue Oct 15, 2013, 04:10pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Reasonable, Rational, And Accommodating ...

Quote:
I can comfortably say in NCAAW those don’t have any color restrictions. My FNI said Debbie Williamson already ruled on the “volleyball-style” pads last year. As for NFHS, I can’t see why there would be any color issues with the old-school padding.
Thanks again. Certainly sounds reasonable, rational, within the spirit of the rules, and accommodating to the players, and to the parents, who purchase such pads. But, really, seriously, do officials expect NFHS Fashion Police rules to be reasonable, rational, and accommodating?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Oct 15, 2013, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

and people were saying NBA is getting less & less physical.

but you'd never know when a collision may take place, intentionally or non-intentionally and it might just cause a career breaking injury.

it's like bikers wearing exoskeleton suits vs those that only wear helmets, it's their choice since it's an safety issue. as long as they don't wear spiked elbow pads i don't see a problem since the pads protects both players in contact by absorbing the force.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Or it allows them to be more physical with less concern about getting hurt in the process. Take the pads off both players and you just might see them both back the physicality down a notch.
Old Wed Oct 16, 2013, 03:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by potato View Post
...i don't see a problem since the pads protects both players in contact by absorbing the force.

Pads allow both player to go at each other harder without being as worried about injuring themselves.

Imagine how football would change if players were not allowed to wear pads or helmets. You'd probably see fewer major injuries as players wouldn't hit with such recklessness.
Old Wed Oct 16, 2013, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
NCAAW 4-24 is "Pass", and there is no 4-24-5 b (nor 4-34-5 b)
Sorry, Bob, I was referencing NFHS, and missed the subject of NCAAW.
Old Wed Oct 16, 2013, 09:52am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:

Imagine how football would change if players were not allowed to wear pads or helmets. .
I think they call that rugby.

And there are still some major hits in rugby. Not as many, but check out highlights of the "All Blacks" when you have time.
Old Wed Oct 16, 2013, 08:50pm
Official & Member

And thus it begins...

Boys middle school championship tonight (they play MS before the HS season due to shortage of officials ) Fed Rules. Home team is in white. They are wearing black leg sleeves, blue leg sleeves (a school color), one kid with black knee pads (old school style mentioned above) black arm sleeves and one player with a grey (gray?) undershirt.

Visitors were in red. They are wearing black leg sleeves, red leg sleeves and no arm sleeves that we noticed.

We told both coaches to pick a color sleeve for arms and legs and go with it. Of course both coaches claimed they were wearing these combinations all year..."and what about them? they are wearing both". Yes coach, we are telling them the same thing. Of course the home team goes with the blue leg sleeves and the kid with the knee pads (black) keeps them on. We have to explain to the visiting coach the difference. Additionally, the kid with the grey undershirt starts to strip his shirt off at the bench...whoa junior...take it to the locker room.

This drill took up pretty much the entire warm up period. It would have been a great example for the case book. What a cluster ****.

All this...and it's only middle school. I couldn't make up a more ridiculous scenario if I tried. In the end...home team gets to a running clock and we get out of Dodge in about an hour and a half. I hope this isn't a preview of the season.
Old Wed Oct 16, 2013, 09:00pm
This IS My Social Life

Attaboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
Boys middle school championship tonight (they play MS before the HS season due to shortage of officials ) Fed Rules. Home team is in white. They are wearing black leg sleeves, blue leg sleeves (a school color), one kid with black knee pads (old school style mentioned above) black arm sleeves and one player with a grey (gray?) undershirt.

Visitors were in red. They are wearing black leg sleeves, red leg sleeves and no arm sleeves that we noticed.

We told both coaches to pick a color sleeve for arms and legs and go with it. Of course both coaches claimed they were wearing these combinations all year..."and what about them? they are wearing both". Yes coach, we are telling them the same thing. Of course the home team goes with the blue leg sleeves and the kid with the knee pads (black) keeps them on. We have to explain to the visiting coach the difference. Additionally, the kid with the grey undershirt starts to strip his shirt off at the bench...whoa junior...take it to the locker room.

This drill took up pretty much the entire warm up period. It would have been a great example for the case book. What a cluster ****.

All this...and it's only middle school. I couldn't make up a more ridiculous scenario if I tried. In the end...home team gets to a running clock and we get out of Dodge in about an hour and a half. I hope this isn't a preview of the season.
I, for one, am proud of you.
Worth the effort if all of us would just do it all the time, cuz then we wouldn't any of us have to do it any of the time.
Old Wed Oct 16, 2013, 09:36pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
I, for one, am proud of you.
Worth the effort if all of us would just do it all the time, cuz then we wouldn't any of us have to do it any of the time.

Not necessarily true. Some have either short memories, or are just stubborn. Try telling blue #13 that he's not allowed to wear that white t-shirt under his jersey. He'll go and take it off if he has to, but chances are good that he'll have it on again next week.

Let's all say it together:

"Everybody else lets me wear it."

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Oct 16, 2013, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
All this...and it's only middle school. .
Right or Wrong...around these parts, we usually just let different colored undershirts go for Middle School.

We do, however, make them keep their shirts tucked in and their pants pulled up.

In addition, I explain to the coaches what is expected, (concerning uniforms), when the kids get to the H.S. level.
Richland, WA
Old Thu Oct 17, 2013, 01:50am
Official Forum Member

Well Basketball is a physical game, the pads are there to prevent more frequent injuries, usually light ones, it's unlikely going to save you from a direct collision. It also makes certain cheap moves like Elbowing with elbow pads ineffective thus discouraging it.

As long as they wear matching colors with their jerseys, i don't see it a really big problem.

They might seem unnecessarily from the official point of view and a handful of retired pros like Karl, you might probably want to question the compulsory requirements for Safety Airbags & seatbelts in cars and such since without them drivers would most likely drive safer, resulting in less accidents.

Quote:
Pads allow both player to go at each other harder without being as worried about injuring themselves.

Imagine how football would change if players were not allowed to wear pads or helmets. You'd probably see fewer major injuries as players wouldn't hit with such recklessness.