LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 14, 2013, 03:14pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Protective Gear Really Needed?

Karl Malone speaks his mind.....

Y! SPORTS

From the article:

"I'm not concerned with your elbow pads, your knee pads, all of your garb and your full body armor. What do you need all that for? Our soldiers need that in Iraq and they're doing a hell of a job for us. Take all that off! We don't need that. What I need you to do is show up and be ready to play. That's it."
Old Mon Oct 14, 2013, 04:59pm
Do not give a damn!!

I didn't listen to Karl Malone 20 years ago when the issue was HIV in the NBA, I am not listening to him now.

Peace
Old Mon Oct 14, 2013, 06:28pm
This IS My Social Life

Point/Counterpoint

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I didn't listen to Karl Malone 20 years ago when the issue was HIV in the NBA, I am not listening to him now.

Peace
Given that this extra stuff players are wearing (legheadcompressionwristarmsleeveband) represents nothing more than an expression of individuality with scant evidence that it is either needed ("That is for a medical reason, isn't it?" validation nothwithstanding...) or improves personal performance to any measurable extent, I'm likin' what Karl Malone is saying here. His quote deserves recognition in the anti-fashion police hall of fame. Wish NFHS would just get it over with and ban all that stuff.
But that's just me.
Will never happen, though.
Old Mon Oct 14, 2013, 07:11pm
Official Forum Member

Or the NFHS could just get over it and not delegate officials to be the fashion police besides the bare minimum (jerseys with same color and with numbers on them, and shorts/pants) and only concern us with things that affect safety.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Oct 14, 2013, 07:53pm
Official Forum Member

I think those knee pads with paddings, or inner shirt with paddings, or crotch protector can actually help reduce the impact, pain & injury during collision.

Even a normal elbow pad would help when the player's falling flat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
Or the NFHS could just get over it and not delegate officials to be the fashion police besides the bare minimum (jerseys with same color and with numbers on them, and shorts/pants) and only concern us with things that affect safety.
Old Mon Oct 14, 2013, 07:54pm
Official Forum Member

Or maybe Karl Malone just still holding a grudge with Michael Jordan and hoping by banning these stuffs may hurt Jordan Brand in selling a few hundred extra arm & knee pads.
Old Mon Oct 14, 2013, 08:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by potato View Post
Or maybe Karl Malone just still holding a grudge with Michael Jordan and hoping by banning these stuffs may hurt Jordan Brand in selling a few hundred extra arm & knee pads.
I saw the interview on the local news. My take was that instead of being prissy/sissy, the new breed of players need to suck it up and play basketball.
Old Mon Oct 14, 2013, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member

Then boxing fighters shouldn't be wearing boxing glooves & head gear & suck it up.
Old Mon Oct 14, 2013, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

I agree completely. Being a fashion cop in a basketball game has so little to do with the game itself, except for the fact that it is part of the uniform, and by definition of the word "uniform", it means remaining the same in all cases and at all times., hence the name uniform, etc...

Long story longer, I see Federation's point, and while I don't agree with it, as an official, I have to and will enforce it as necessary.
Old Mon Oct 14, 2013, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by potato View Post
I think those knee pads with paddings, or inner shirt with paddings, or crotch protector can actually help reduce the impact, pain & injury during collision.

Even a normal elbow pad would help when the player's falling flat.
Or it allows them to be more physical with less concern about getting hurt in the process. Take the pads off both players and you just might see them both back the physicality down a notch.
Old Tue Oct 15, 2013, 05:48am
Esteemed Forum Member

Inquiring Minds Want To Know ...

Regarding elbow, and knee, pads. Is there a difference, in terms of NFHS rules, between a compression sleeve (arm, or leg) with a pad, and one without a pad, in terms of medical need, color, etc. I'll be taking the Fashion Police detective's exam in a few weeks and need to get this straight.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Oct 15, 2013, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Regarding elbow, and knee, pads. Is there a difference, in terms of NFHS rules, between a compression sleeve (arm, or leg) with a pad, and one without a pad, in terms of medical need, color, etc. I'll be taking the Fashion Police detective's exam in a few weeks and need to get this straight.
That’s a good question. On the NCAAW side of things I’m going to ask my FNI (Friendly Neighborhood Interpreter). He’ll know or at least he should be able to find out since he’s going to be the Secretary-Rules Editor as of next September.

As for NFHS, I think an e-mail to my local interpreter is in order as well.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Tue Oct 15, 2013, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
That’s a good question. On the NCAAW side of things I’m going to ask my FNI (Friendly Neighborhood Interpreter). He’ll know or at least he should be able to find out since he’s going to be the Secretary-Rules Editor as of next September.

As for NFHS, I think an e-mail to my local interpreter is in order as well.
While you're asking, maybe you can ask about this question from the test:

Question #12
A player shall not take a position so close to a moving opponent that this opponent cannot avoid contact by stopping or changing directions
a. True
b. False

As written, it's clearly false (time and distance aren't needed when guarding a player with the ball).

But, since screens are a POE (or whatever), and since the wording in the question is a direct quote from 4-34-3, I'm thinking that they meant the question to apply to screens, which would make it true.
Old Tue Oct 15, 2013, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post

Question #12
A player shall not take a position so close to a moving opponent that this opponent cannot avoid contact by stopping or changing directions
a. True
b. False

As written, it's clearly false (time and distance aren't needed when guarding a player with the ball).

But, since screens are a POE (or whatever), and since the wording in the question is a direct quote from 4-34-3, I'm thinking that they meant the question to apply to screens, which would make it true.
Sorry, Bob. He’s sworn to secrecy for a few weeks . I think our group is going over the exam next Wednesday so I’ll have answer that night.

He reminded us this is the last year we get help from him. Next year he makes the exam. He’s also a teacher in real life so beware!
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Tue Oct 15, 2013, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

4-24-5 b seems to be the Rule that evoked the wording of this question. It does not mention an opponent "with the ball", and the (usually) simplistic choice of questions on the test indicate an answer of True.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post

Question #12
a. True
b. False

Last edited by Rob1968; Tue Oct 15, 2013 at 10:59am. Reason: mis-wording of conclusion