The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 10, 2013, 07:58am
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
My pregame includes, "Do not chase the ball. We can't play without the ball. Someone will get the ball. When the game is over, we don't need the ball."
With all the other useful things that can be covered in a pre-game, this seems like a waste of time. Can't believe there are officials that actually chase down the ball at ANY point in a game.

Last edited by Bad Zebra; Thu Oct 10, 2013 at 08:01am.
Old Thu Oct 10, 2013, 08:09am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
With all the other useful things that can be covered in a pre-game, this seems like a waste of time. Can't believe there are officials that actually chase down the ball at ANY point in a game.
It should be a waste of time, but I've found it to be a valuable use of 10 seconds; it saves us 30 seconds at the end of the game.
Old Thu Oct 10, 2013, 09:30am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
You must work with a very rarefied group of officials if you don't see someone chase a ball that has gone oob at some point in the game. Or chase the ball at the end of the game to take it back to the table for some reason. Not even once in a season?
Old Thu Oct 10, 2013, 09:40am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
You must work with a very rarefied group of officials if you don't see someone chase a ball that has gone oob at some point in the game. Or chase the ball at the end of the game to take it back to the table for some reason. Not even once in a season?
I certainly do not see that at the varsity level. I cannot think of the last time I have seen it at that level. You see it more often at the lower levels, but that is not that common either because this is taught to not do this. I am sure it is happening somewhere, but that is what associations are for and what camps are for to teach the proper way to do things.

And when I read this site, my area works so different then other areas. We do not have 100 guys assigned to all the games by one assignor. We have probably a couple thousand spread out amongst many associations and more than 15 assignors or so and I do not see this as a common issue that I can see. I am sure someone does this, but not for very long.

Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Thu Oct 10, 2013 at 09:43am.
Old Thu Oct 10, 2013, 09:57am
Keeper of the HAMMER

We've got long time vets who do this, but for the most part, it's the new guys. Some of them are stubborn about it, though.
Old Thu Oct 10, 2013, 10:27am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I certainly do not see that at the varsity level. I cannot think of the last time I have seen it at that level.
I call BS...not one single time has one of your partners (or you) turned their back on the court to go retrieve a ball bouncing along the wall while players are lining up to shoot free throws?

No way.
Old Thu Oct 10, 2013, 10:33am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I call BS...not one single time has one of your partners (or you) turned their back on the court to go retrieve a ball bouncing along the wall while players are lining up to shoot free throws?

No way.
I am sorry, I cannot think of any that I work with or have worked with recently. I work with a lot of experienced guys too. Maybe the training is different in your area. But I cannot think of anyone that does this to where I have to say, "Why in the hell are you doing that?" And certainly not guys who chase the ball after the game is over. I do not think I have seen that in years!!!

Peace
Old Thu Oct 10, 2013, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
... Or chase the ball at the end of the game to take it back to the table for some reason.
Drives me NUTS!

Of course you are going to have "that guy" do that...maybe once or twice a season. It's usually a newer official...or one that just can't stand to leave a good game behind.

They hear about it, with some good natured ribbing, sometimes even before we get to the locker room.
Richland, WA
Old Thu Oct 10, 2013, 02:01pm
Esteemed Forum Member

That's The Key Ingredient, Education ...

Quote:
... is taught to not do this.
... and boom goes the dynamite.

Which is why I tend to believe this:

Quote:
I certainly do not see that at the varsity level. I cannot think of the last time I have seen it at that level.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Oct 10, 2013, 03:06pm
This IS My Social Life

Keep Eyes on the Players

Quote:
The newer guys, and yes -- some vets -- do this and need to be corrected. Which is why, around here, this is one of the things we teach at scrimmages and suggest -- however briefly -- for pregames:

DON'T GIVE IN TO "L.G.B.T." . . . that is,
When the ball goes out-of-bounds, resist the inclination to:
LOOK AT THE BALL
GO AFTER THE BALL
BECKON FOR THE BALL
TURN TOWARD THE BALL.
Go to the spot of the subsequent throw-in or free throw, keep all eyes on the players, and the ball will come to you.

And it always does.

Last edited by Freddy; Thu Oct 10, 2013 at 03:08pm.
Old Thu Oct 10, 2013, 03:27pm
Official & Member

Quote:
Can't recall any in the last few years...but I seldon work sub-varsity any more. I imagine it goes on there more frequently.

The group I work with tend toward the other extreme...they won't usually bend over to pick it up unless it hits them in the feet (even though quite a few would benefit from the additional effort).

Last edited by Bad Zebra; Thu Oct 10, 2013 at 03:31pm.
Old Thu Oct 10, 2013, 04:40pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Can't recall any in the last few years...but I seldon work sub-varsity any more. I imagine it goes on there more frequently.

The group I work with tend toward the other extreme...they won't usually bend over to pick it up unless it hits them in the feet (even though quite a few would benefit from the additional effort).
I know here, there is at least one varsity official who insists on retrieving the ball after the game and then shaking hands at the table.

I also know that it's done often enough (not in my games) that some ADs are almost expecting us to give it to them after the game is over as they walk us to the locker room.
Old Thu Oct 10, 2013, 06:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
...shaking hands ...
I also know that it's done often enough (not in my games) that some ADs are almost expecting us to give it to them after the game is over as they walk us to the locker room.
Maybe in private...but, I don't think it looks very good to be shaking hands, publicly, with the AD...especially after a close or even not so close home win.
Richland, WA
Old Thu Oct 10, 2013, 06:45pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Who's Got The Key To The Locker Room ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude View Post
Maybe in private...but, I don't think it looks very good to be shaking hands, publicly, with the AD...especially after a close or even not so close home win.
Agree. Some will often confuse perception with reality.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Oct 10, 2013, 07:06pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude View Post
No, he doesn't shake hands with the AD after the game, he does it with the talbe crew while the teams are doing their post-game ritual, and I and his other partner stand in the corner.

I've had a couple of ADs (or game manager) actually start talking to me about getting them the ball after the game. My response is always, "If I can grab it in stride, I'll do it." Then, after the game, "Sorry."