The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 26, 2013, 07:09am
Official Forum Member

Throw-in and foul by A2

A1 has the ball in their hands following a made basket by team B for a throw-in. Before the ball is thrown A2 fouls B2. Team B is in the bonus.

No free throws are awarded because of Team A had team control according to 4-12-2 correct? So team B is awared the ball for a throw-in.

This was a rule change or clarification from last season right?

I have done 4 or 5 different searches and couldn't find a post that specifically addressed this situation.
Old Thu Sep 26, 2013, 07:15am
Courageous When Prudent

I think it was actually 2 years ago that the NFHS changed Team Control for throw-ins.
Old Thu Sep 26, 2013, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The R View Post
A1 has the ball in their hands following a made basket by team B for a throw-in. Before the ball is thrown A2 fouls B2. Team B is in the bonus.

No free throws are awarded because of Team A had team control according to 4-12-2 correct? So team B is awared the ball for a throw-in.

This was a rule change or clarification from last season right?

I have done 4 or 5 different searches and couldn't find a post that specifically addressed this situation.
you are correct on the interp. I seem to recall this is in the case books -- or do a search here on "annual interps" to find a thread of the last 10 years or so -- I'm "sure" it was covered when the rule was changed.
Old Thu Sep 26, 2013, 07:36pm
Official Forum Member

from 2011-12 case book

TEAM CONTROL DURING A THROW-IN (4-12-1, 2, 6): Several definitions were changed to reflect that team control will now exist during a throw-in when the thrower-in has the ball at his/her disposal. The change primarily affects how foul penalties will be administered. By changing the definition of player and team control to include a throw-in, greater consistency in penalty administration for a common foul is achieved. Under the previous rule, because there was no team control during a throw-in, the penalty for a common foul committed by the throw in team after the throw-in had begun resulted in free throws if the offended team was in the bonus, which was inconsistent with the penalty for a team-control foul in non-throw-in situations. The rules change will result in greater consistency in penalty enforcement and expedite the contest by eliminating the delay inherent with administering free throws.