The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 20, 2004, 11:50pm
Official Forum Member

Start of period, A has the arrow. A1 taking the ball out.

B1 holds A2 trying to prevent the throw in. No bonus. A's ball for throw in on the foul and retain the arrow since a foul by either team during the throw in does not cause loss of the arrow.

10 seconds later held ball. A's ball.

Pretty sure I got it right, has it happened once a few years ago, but I had to check the book in my car as soon as tyhe scrimmage was over.

Old Sun Nov 21, 2004, 02:38am
Official Forum Member

You got it right!

The direction of arrow is not reversed intil immediately after an alternating-possession throw-in ends (rule 6).

The throw-in ends when the passed ball touches or is touched by an inbounds player other than the thrower (rule 4).
Old Sun Nov 21, 2004, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by TimTaylor
You got it right!

The throw-in ends when the passed ball touches or is touched by an inbounds player other than the thrower (rule 4).
Or when the inbounding team commits a throw-in violation.
Old Sun Nov 21, 2004, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

i must be missing something here, team A has AP arrow at start of period, after the foul team A still has ball, once team A throws ball in shouldnt the AP arrow be changed? if not please reference me to the rule that applys. thanks
Old Sun Nov 21, 2004, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Quote:
Originally posted by roadking
i must be missing something here, team A has AP arrow at start of period, after the foul team A still has ball, once team A throws ball in shouldnt the AP arrow be changed? if not please reference me to the rule that applys. thanks
Here's the sequence:

1) A has ball for AP throw-in. (The fact that it's the beginning of a quarter is not relevant.)

2) Before A completes the throw-in, there is a foul. Since the AP throw-in has not been completed, the arrow does not change. (The fact that the foul is on B is not relevant.)

3) The penalty for the foul is a throw-in by A. This is not an AP throw-in, so the arrow remains with A.

I don't have an NF rulebook, so I'll have to leave it to someone else to cite references.
Old Sun Nov 21, 2004, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Lotto
3) The penalty for the foul is a throw-in by A. This is not an AP throw-in, so the arrow remains with A.
This is the crucial thing in this situation, roadking. The second throw-in is the result of a foul, not the result of a held ball. Therefore, it is NOT an AP throw-in. Since the AP throw-in never happened (due to the foul), the arrow does not change.
Old Sun Nov 21, 2004, 08:36pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Talking

I wish more offcials in my area knew this. I alway seem to have this situation come up once or twice a year and they always seem confused when reminded that Rule 6-3 spells out that a foul before the end of an AP throw in doesn't cause the arrow to be changed.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Mon Nov 22, 2004, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to OldCoachNewRef
What if there was a violation by team A during the APTI (thrower in went 6 ft to the left). Would ball go to B and the arrow be changed to B's direction for next APTI?
Old Mon Nov 22, 2004, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

yes, violation by offensive team causes arrow to change also... as well as the ball coming in to play..
Old Mon Nov 22, 2004, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

I was very certain when this happened, but needed to check the book after the scrimmage to make sure. I am not sure my partner knew the rule and I am sure there are many others who don't either. Certainly the players on coaches and Saturday did not.