The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 18, 2013, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

AAU Non Payment Issues

Second year referee here, out of Rochester, NY. I may have a stupid question to ask, but I'm gonna ask it anyways. Is it possible to take legal action for non payment of AAU games? I know AAU games are considered under the table, but would it do any good to take legal action on this? In my situation, maybe its not worth it. The tournament director only owes me $252 ($28 per game for 9 games), but i'm just frustrated with the whole situation. I drove 30+ miles there and back on a saturday and a sunday with nothing in return. The person running the tournament was also a coach in the tournament and i worked one of his games. His team got blown out by 40 and he was furious with the calls i was making that game. Its seems obvious to me, that the guy doesnt want to pay me b/c of how i officated his game. I'ved communicated with the guy through text message for a few months and we've made several arrangements for him to mail me the check or for us to meet up directly and each time he has blown me or made some excuse. I've dealt directly with the assigner that gave me the games and he has been unable to reach this guy. The assigner says he may end up paying me the money out of his own pocket, but it doesnt seem like hes so sure about doing that. Am I making a big deal about this or should i just let this one go and move on?
Old Wed Sep 18, 2013, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocRef View Post
Second year referee here, out of Rochester, NY. I may have a stupid question to ask, but I'm gonna ask it anyways. Is it possible to take legal action for non payment of AAU games?
Yes. Small claims court should cover this. Write him a letter indicating you are going to do this first.

Quote:
I know AAU games are considered under the table,
No they aren't
Old Wed Sep 18, 2013, 09:21am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
... The tournament director only owes me $252 ($28 per game for 9 games) ...
Only my a$$. He owes you money for services rendered. If they are blowing you off contact AAU national HQs. They shouldn't have their tournament with the "AAU" moniker if they are not paying their officials.

If that doesn't work go to a local TV station. I would cause a stink.

We had a local AAU assigner who didn't pay us b/c he allowed our money to get tied up with his personal accounts which got confiscated by the IRS. He only owed me $85 but a few years later I got my money from him.
Old Wed Sep 18, 2013, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Thanks guys. I appreciate the advice on this.
Old Wed Sep 18, 2013, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I know AAU games are considered under the table, but
Please pay your taxes.
Old Thu Sep 19, 2013, 12:32am
Official Forum Member

My suggestion is to send an intent to sue letter to the AAU and the guy. He is their agent and organizationally they are bound to pay.

Small claims should work. If they don't pay they can pay the filing fees, etc.

I wonder if you can't find an attorney to write a letter...
Old Thu Sep 19, 2013, 06:11am
Esteemed Forum Member

Powerful Tool ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin green View Post
Almost everyone has a brother-in-law, niece, or cousin, who's an attorney. Ask for a piece of stationery and send it as a certified letter.

Just don't ask this guy:

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Sep 19, 2013 at 06:15am.
Old Thu Sep 19, 2013, 06:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin green View Post
The attorney's fees would probably be more than the officiating fees that he is missing!
Old Thu Sep 19, 2013, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to swkansasref33
Or, if that ends up not working, get them to write the services off as a donation. I believe there is a decent chance that it could be written off on a tax return.
Old Thu Sep 19, 2013, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

A few suggestions. First, stop texting. Get on the phone and talk with him. Do not stop calling until you reach him.

Next. You need to think of this as a basic business transaction with a contract. His failing to pay you is a breach of contract. Do not overcomplicate it.

Next. Ask the assignor if he can contact the person and act as an intermediary. The assignor has the potential to withhold future services (assigning officials) and if he has any gumption, he should both threaten that...and do it.

Next...as others have told you...write a demand letter. There are many examples online of what it needs to say...but if you want, send me a private message and I can send you one that I had to use a few years ago to get paid. It's no fun chasing money...but this is a business for me and I treat it that way.

Lastly...(repeating advice from others)....whether you are paid in cash or by check does not make it "under the table." You are legally responsible to report all income, no matter the source. I am hardly naive...and realize many officials do not report income from AAU and other games...especially if paid in cash. But this is totally irrelevant to whether you are paid for services rendered.

Next time....don't leave the gym without getting paid.
Old Thu Sep 19, 2013, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swkansasref33 View Post
Or, if that ends up not working, get them to write the services off as a donation. I believe there is a decent chance that it could be written off on a tax return.
How?

I mean you either put the $252 as income on the Schedule C (if s/he gets paid it) or not. There's no "additional" write off.
Old Thu Sep 19, 2013, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

A number of years ago an officiating aquaintance got caught by the state income tax bureau for not claiming income. Not good times.

I keep a book with all my money listed. I also keep track of expenses and file a schedule C each and every year. Paying taxes due is part of being above board and honest.

Regarding being able to deduct the games as a donation, it's not going to happen. You cannot deduct time; only money and items of value. If you get paid you claim it; if you don't get paid you don't add it to your schedule C.
Old Thu Sep 19, 2013, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE Minnestoa Re View Post
Regarding being able to deduct the games as a donation, it's not going to happen. You cannot deduct time; only money and items of value. If you get paid you claim it; if you don't get paid you don't add it to your schedule C.
You can deduct out-of-pocket costs for a charitable event, though. (Mileage is only 14¢, though, not the 56½¢ for business mileage.)

Standard Mileage Rates for 2013 from irs.gov
Old Thu Sep 19, 2013, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverpie View Post
You can deduct out-of-pocket costs for a charitable event, though. (Mileage is only 14¢, though, not the 56½¢ for business mileage.)

Standard Mileage Rates for 2013 from irs.gov
True, but my assumption is that all the costs already were on the Schedule C and can't be deducted again.
Old Thu Sep 19, 2013, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Let's not confuse things. An AAU tournament is not a charitable event...so none of those rules apply. This is a contract issue -- nothing more.