The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 09, 2004, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

I was at a game and the official bounced the ball to the free thrower and upon receiving the ball the free thrower noticed his own shoe was untied. The thrower set the ball down and began to tie his shoe. The official killed the play with his whistle and then had a couple of words with the thrower. Was there a violation that maybe wasn't called in this instance?

Second issue. The band and instruments are considered artificial noise makers and they shouldn't be banging drums or tooting horns during free throws or live action-am I correct?
Old Fri Jan 09, 2004, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

I wouldn't have killed the play. The thrower had time while everyone was lining up for the shots to tie his shoe. I would've continued my 10 second count and called him for that.

As for the band, they should only be playing during time outs, not during free throws or live action.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2004, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MOFFICIAL
I was at a game and the official bounced the ball to the free thrower and upon receiving the ball the free thrower noticed his own shoe was untied. The thrower set the ball down and began to tie his shoe. The official killed the play with his whistle and then had a couple of words with the thrower. Was there a violation that maybe wasn't called in this instance?

I don't have my rules with me, but if I recall, a free throw shooter cannot commit a traveling, double dribble, etc. violation. The only violation would be a lane violation by the shooter. Also, I would probably whistle the free-throw dead and allow him to tie his shoe. (Equipment Time Out)

Second issue. The band and instruments are considered artificial noise makers and they shouldn't be banging drums or tooting horns during free throws or live action-am I correct?
This is not allowed and you should inform management to stop the activity. Band instruments would fall under the artificial noise makers rule.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2004, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

OOPs, I did the quote wrong and one of my responses came across as a quote - sorry!
Old Fri Jan 09, 2004, 07:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MOFFICIAL
I have no problem with the official doing this preventative piece of officiating. The official probably told the thrower to let him/her know before the free throw next time and he/she would hold the ball until the thrower was ready. Perhaps the official even felt that he/she beared some of the responsibility since he/she perhaps should have noticed the untied shoe before tossing the ball to the thrower.

Unless the thrower crossed the free throw line or left the semi-circle, the only violation that could occur would be the ten-second count. However, sometimes common sense wins out.

Z

Old Fri Jan 09, 2004, 07:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ref18
I wouldn't have killed the play. The thrower had time while everyone was lining up for the shots to tie his shoe. I would've continued my 10 second count and called him for that.
I think I would apply the law of least astonishment here. If you whistle him for the 10 second violation, you might just be the only one in the gym who expects a violation to be called. Considering this is a situation in which there was a reasonable (although not "lawful") stoppage, and no advantage was gained, I think I would blow it down, let him tie his shoe, and then do what everybody does expect (i.e., put the ball in play for a routine free throw).