View Single Post
Old Wed Sep 18, 2013, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

AAU Non Payment Issues

Second year referee here, out of Rochester, NY. I may have a stupid question to ask, but I'm gonna ask it anyways. Is it possible to take legal action for non payment of AAU games? I know AAU games are considered under the table, but would it do any good to take legal action on this? In my situation, maybe its not worth it. The tournament director only owes me $252 ($28 per game for 9 games), but i'm just frustrated with the whole situation. I drove 30+ miles there and back on a saturday and a sunday with nothing in return. The person running the tournament was also a coach in the tournament and i worked one of his games. His team got blown out by 40 and he was furious with the calls i was making that game. Its seems obvious to me, that the guy doesnt want to pay me b/c of how i officated his game. I'ved communicated with the guy through text message for a few months and we've made several arrangements for him to mail me the check or for us to meet up directly and each time he has blown me or made some excuse. I've dealt directly with the assigner that gave me the games and he has been unable to reach this guy. The assigner says he may end up paying me the money out of his own pocket, but it doesnt seem like hes so sure about doing that. Am I making a big deal about this or should i just let this one go and move on?