The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 31, 2002, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Just curious.

Our association assigns games every 2 weeks during the season. You go to the meeting, discuss plays/rules/other business and then get paid from the previous 2 weeks games and then get your assignments for the next 2 weeks. We work individual assignments (not crews) and have the opportunity to accept or reject a game on the schedule.

I know other associations schedule the entire season and then post a master schedule so that you know what games you have, where you will be, and who you're working with.

What's the best way based on everyone's experience? Are there other methods that work better than either of the ones above?
Old Tue Dec 31, 2002, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

We go with the 'book' passed out at our 4th August meeting, usually the week prior to the varsity schedules. It has your varsity, sub varsity and yute schedule, as well as game fees, directions to every school we service, copies of game cards, injury reports (if a kid is transported by ambulance, we have to report it to the state association), rating sheets for rating the sub varsity guys, a chart to keep trac of your games and fees, and turn in sheets. Its pretty comprehensive.

This year, we could turn in games to the JV assignor by e mail. That was convenient.
Old Tue Dec 31, 2002, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

South Carolina

In SC we have a state association which is then broken down into districts. Out Varsity assignments come out of the main office. Everything else is done by the disrtict booking agent. The booking agent is usually a senior official who has been doing it for a long time.

Anyway, back to Varsity assignments. The games are assigned on an individual basis. NOT CREWS. I like it this way, you get to see all kinds of different guys. The Association trys to keep you within a reasonable distance from your home. Now, with that said, I have driven as much as 2 1/2 hours to a game on Friday afternoon. The guy who does these assignments uses a computer program to do it. It sends the officials an e-mail to notify them of the game. The assignments come out in groups of 2 or 3 weeks at a time, depending on what he wants to do. You can also go to a website and see which game you have. This is cool, however,you can also see what games EVERYBODY else has. This can sometimes be a pain for some people who feel that they didn't get the game they deserved. As for payment, the varsity schools usually have a check for you the night of the game. Some others mail the check to you.

As for all the other assignments. The district booking guy just calls you each week to give you the youth assignments. The JV and middle school assignments are done at the start of year. That way you know what you're doin for the entire year. This is cool, and you can usually switch a game with somebody if you have a conflict. And we usually get paid at the gamesite on these games as well. Although, some still mail checks.

Also, we only rate each other in Varsity games. The other games (JV,Middle,youth) we don't rate each other.

All in all, I'm fairly pleased with the way we do our assignments and stuff.

Doc
Old Tue Dec 31, 2002, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

AB & Doc Moore,

Thanks for your feedback.

Our rating system is done POST SEASON. We get (I just got mine) a form in the mail with every official listed and then you rate the ones you've worked with. The score is on a 1-10 scale and if you give a guy a 6 or lower, you have to provide some feedback or the score doesn't count.

Pretty generic system. In my view, doesn't provide enough detail and if you don't keep some notes during the season, you pretty much have to rely on memory. (ouch!)

The ratings then determine who qualifies for Championship, Playoff, Varsity, JV, or Frosh/Youth assignments.

AB, the book sounds pretty comprehensive. Also sounds really convenient to turn in game reports via eamil. When you say "game cards" what is it that you have to turn in?

Doc, your assignor must have the same software that mine does. I think the algorithm goes something like this:

(take the furthest school from an officials home and work, combine with the worst traffic scenario, then add 1 official that throws the most flags in a game, plus 1 senior official that either can't see or runs the 100yd dash in about 5 minutes [maybe you'll get a 2fer if you're real lucky], mix in a Ref who is was an ex-general in the Army and believes in barking orders, and add a rookie wing man that is confused about the term "forward progress". Also, make sure that the chain crew all have kids on the team and could care less about chain administration. And, choose a field where ducks and geese could spend the winter because of the inverse crowning affect in the center of the field. Don't forget a PA announcer that chooses each of your games as his debut into the field of public relations and feels obligated to befriend the crowd by pointing out all of the bonehead calls made by the pinheaded officials. Oh, and choose a locker room the size of a bathroom stall with either an inch of water on the floor or a pile of 30 day old soiled gym clothes.)

Doc, if you get games like this, maybe you're in my association! If you don't, tell your assignor that he's got a bug in his software.
Old Tue Dec 31, 2002, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

The game cards are the cards we give each coach and the PA announcer (when the BJ goes to talk with the clock operator) before the game with the team names (home/visitor) the date, the name of each official and his position. Comes in handy for the coach to single you out on any particular sequence. He can also keep it handy when he rates us - we have the coaches rate us on a 1-5 system, 1 being great. These ratings lag by one year as the ratings from this past year will determine playoff assignments for next season. Conceivably, one could Stevie Wonder his way through a season and wind up with some cherry playoff games based on his rating from the previous year.

Not all the coaches take the time at the end of the year (when they receive the ratings request sent by our association) and their ratings are dubious, at best. We had a guy who took all of last year off due to a preseason knee injury. He moved up 20 spots in the ratings and worked deep into the playoffs this year. I told him to take another year off so he'd be the #1 guy.

The wings seem to take the brunt of the coach's rating wrath as many playoff games are worked by 3 umpires and 2 R's. It's funny watching those U's run the wing. The state playoff games are even worse - those are usually 4 R's and a U.
Old Tue Dec 31, 2002, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for clarification on the game cards. We also have a game/rating card we give to the coaches during the pregame.
We don't get many back.

Playoff ratings are handled the same way as yours. At playoff time, the coaches in the playoff have an opportunity to provide a "Ding List" that would disqualify an official from working their games.
Old Tue Dec 31, 2002, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

We encourage crews in our association but there are many who work assignments. Most of the guys working assignments are trying to find other guys to form a crew. For the assignor, dealing with crews means fewer people to contact for game assignments. The assignor will contact one crew member with their assignments and then the crew member will contact the rest of his crew members. Crews who have worked together for years are usually the ones who get their schedule for the entire season.
Old Wed Jan 01, 2003, 07:21pm
Official Forum Member

In Kansas, we get our assignments before the season and we get paid before the game. We know all of our scheduled games and we turn in a sheet showing our free dates. This way when someone gets sick or has to cancel a game we know everyone that has a free date.
Old Thu Jan 02, 2003, 04:16am
Official Forum Member

CCS, California. Our association has us in 7 to 8 man crews. Crew chiefs get master schedule and set up sub varsity games, depending on the way the leagues are going, some crews will get pulled from vital games and switched with stronger crews. My crew chief is way cool, he'll let all of us whitehat sub varsity and train at different spots, heck, I got 6 varsity games this past season and I am #6 on the depth chart( 2cd year, 92 on test). FED pay is twice per season.
Youth ball, way cool. COD!!! One league pays 42 per game with an extra 10 bucks for 5th quarter, always a double header and all you can eat..... The other youth league, with travel of 45 minutes, pays only 32 a game, but you can get up to 5 games in a day(my feet still hurt!!)FED rules for al our youth league, with the MPR's added in........some nice cash!!!!!!
Old Thu Jan 02, 2003, 07:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JMN
Just curious.

Our association assigns games every 2 weeks during the season. You go to the meeting, discuss plays/rules/other business and then get paid from the previous 2 weeks games and then get your assignments for the next 2 weeks. We work individual assignments (not crews) and have the opportunity to accept or reject a game on the schedule.

I know other associations schedule the entire season and then post a master schedule so that you know what games you have, where you will be, and who you're working with.

What's the best way based on everyone's experience? Are there other methods that work better than either of the ones above?
In central Illinois at the varsity level, the crew has to get their own games. Many times, each conference has an assignor who takes care of getting officials for conference games. Non-conference games and lower level games are often assigned by the school A.D. Sometimes the A.D. gets help from a local officiating association's assignor to fill these games. Around here, after we find a name, we just have to let these people know we are available and interested. Most of these guys fill the Varsity schedules several years in advance. My crew has one game on our schedule for 2007!

For lower level games, we are rarely assigned as a crew (unless we specify we would like to work as a crew).

We've always gotten paid at the game site.

Old Mon Jan 06, 2003, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ABoselli
The game cards are the cards we give each coach and the PA announcer (when the BJ goes to talk with the clock operator) before the game with the team names (home/visitor) the date, the name of each official and his position. Comes in handy for the coach to single you out on any particular sequence. He can also keep it handy when he rates us - we have the coaches rate us on a 1-5 system, 1 being great. These ratings lag by one year as the ratings from this past year will determine playoff assignments for next season. Conceivably, one could Stevie Wonder his way through a season and wind up with some cherry playoff games based on his rating from the previous year.

Not all the coaches take the time at the end of the year (when they receive the ratings request sent by our association) and their ratings are dubious, at best. We had a guy who took all of last year off due to a preseason knee injury. He moved up 20 spots in the ratings and worked deep into the playoffs this year. I told him to take another year off so he'd be the #1 guy.

The wings seem to take the brunt of the coach's rating wrath as many playoff games are worked by 3 umpires and 2 R's. It's funny watching those U's run the wing. The state playoff games are even worse - those are usually 4 R's and a U.
Where is this association?

Stevie Wonder and a couch potato are top officials who make the playoffs.
Old Tue Jan 07, 2003, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

Rochester, NY.

Couch potato missed them this year - hernia.
Old Tue Jan 07, 2003, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Cool Stevie Wonder....

In Hawaii where I work, we assign the varsity games by crew and work the same position all year. For JV and Pop Warner we work different positions with different guys. We receive our assignments every Tuesday at our weekly meetings. We have a senior official in the timer's booth to take notes and critique us at the following meeting.

For state play-off consideration, we need to score 80 percent or higher on the NF tests (closed book), work at least 4 varsity games at the position we will be assigned to for the play-offs, be recommended by our peers in the association, be observed for at least 1 game by the state high school association assigner, and have at least 10 years of experience.

Whoops, I forgot about the pay... Regular season, the league puts all its gate receipts in one big kitty, and pays us at the end of the year... After paying for all other expenses, the league will divide the profits among all the member schools (public and private schools are in the same league here on Maui) to help pay for all the other sports (football and basketball are the main bread-winners).

[Edited by Mike Simonds on Jan 7th, 2003 at 01:37 PM]
Old Sat Jan 25, 2003, 11:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to LittleGiantFan
In Ohio we contract by crew. Our crew is already booked thru 2006 for our Varsity schedule. Most of them are actual game assignments, however some are just league assignments and we find the game out in July before the season.

Playoffs are voted by coaches vote from the prior year. They voted this november for next years playoffs. You have to work at least 8 games, 5 at the position you apply for, the year you work playoffs.