The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 17, 2004, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

These both came from a subvarsity game we had the other night:

1. We had an officials time-out for an injury. During the TO the coach from my sideline visited his injured player. While the player was still on the ground he went near his team's huddle, then realized his error and moved towards his team's bench. As he was walking back to the bench area the opposing coach was "chased" out of his huddle by the referee (I must admit, I did not know the coach was in there). The coach on my sideline said to me "why is he allowed out there?" My response was something to the effect of "he's been told to leave." My question is how do I handle this in the future?

2. That team did not have a water boy, so a player often carried the water out during a TO, and he was often the 12th player in the huddle. Once the players took the water bottles, I had him move away from the huddle during the TO. At the end, he collected the bottles and went back to the bench. Again, how should this be handled? I don't want to be "prissy" about this, and at the same time, I don't want them to "hide" 12 in the huddle.

Thanks in advance for your answers.
Old Sat Sep 18, 2004, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim S Send a message via AIM to Jim S
Your response was OK, with one addition. "He was ALSO told to leave, coach." That puts them both on the same footing, and reinforces the fact that he has to go.

As far as a player carrying water, I wouldn't worry about it too much. First off this kid is probably on the 19th team, and this is as much field time as he's going to get all year. Hey, he may get double credit as a team manager and thereby earn his letter.

Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2!
Old Sat Sep 18, 2004, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

1. Agree with Jim S

2. You didn't mention where the conference was being held. If it is in front of the team bench, that is legal this year 2-6-2a. They may have as many players involved as they want - even if it is to hand out water.