The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 05, 2003, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Player A's team last touched the ball, and it is heading out of bounds. Player A runs and grabs the ball, jumps and is in the air, throws it back into play to a teammate, but before he threw the ball, he had passed over the sideline and broken the "plane" of what is out of bounds. Do you call him OUT before he threw it, or is the ball live because he hasn't come back down yet out of bounds? This should be simple, but I was conducting a referee training yesterday, and one of the trainees said that the PIL league here in Oregon is calling that out of bounds and dead ball if the player has broken the sideline plane. I don't know. Comments?
Old Tue Aug 05, 2003, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MO_Ref
Not OOB

The player is not out of bounds if you use NFHS Rule 7-1(also refering to 4-35).
Old Tue Aug 05, 2003, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Re: Not OOB

Agreed. For a player in the air, "you are where you were." So if the player was inbounds before becoming airborne, then he's inbounds the whole time he is in the air.
Old Tue Aug 05, 2003, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GregAlan
I don't know. Comments?
Sure you do. Greg, if you've watched any basketball at all, you've seen hundreds of plays where a player saves the ball from going OOB by doing exactly what you describe. You've also seen plays where the player requests TO in this sitch. A player isn't OOB until he touches OOB.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Aug 05, 2003, 12:34pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
but I was conducting a referee training yesterday, and one of the trainees said that the PIL league here in Oregon is calling that out of bounds and dead ball if the player has broken the sideline plane. I don't know. Comments?
I've worked with dozens of officials who work the PIL. None of them I've ever met is that dumb (except one who told me a player's status is determined by his "center of gravity").

I doubt very highly that Howard Mayo ever taught this to any PBOA official.

BTW - there are no separate rules for the PIL. They use standard NF rules as adopted by the OSAA.
Old Tue Aug 05, 2003, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:
but I was conducting a referee training yesterday, and one of the trainees said that the PIL league here in Oregon is calling that out of bounds and dead ball if the player has broken the sideline plane. I don't know. Comments?
I've worked with dozens of officials who work the PIL. None of them I've ever met is that dumb (except one who told me a player's status is determined by his "center of gravity").

I doubt very highly that Howard Mayo ever taught this to any PBOA official.

BTW - there are no separate rules for the PIL. They use standard NF rules as adopted by the OSAA.
GregAlan--
PIL would be Portland Interscholastic League, in Portland Oregon, correct? I've been IN the PBOA (Portland Basketball officials' Association) for four years. We cover all the PIL games, boys, girls, Freshman, JV and Varsity. All their scrimmages, pre-season, play-off and tournament games. I've never heard of such a thing. I'd be curious if you'd privately e-mail me who the person was that said that. I'm sure someone in our association would like to discuss with him his interpretation of the rule, and his read on what he is being told.

By the way, where are you, and what training was it? Perhaps some of us Portland-Vancouver forum members already know you and we could chat some time.
Old Tue Aug 05, 2003, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

When the entire ball breaks the plane it is OOB and dead,... under NFHS SOCCER rules!
Old Wed Aug 06, 2003, 05:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
When the entire ball breaks the plane it is OOB and dead,... under NFHS SOCCER rules!
Not true unless the rules have changed in the 2 years since I stopped doing HS soccer. The ball can break the plane completely and come back in (in the air), except on a corner kick.
Old Wed Aug 06, 2003, 06:02am
In Memoriam

Thinking ... outside of the lines.
Old Wed Aug 06, 2003, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dblref
Quote:
Not true unless the rules have changed in the 2 years since I stopped doing HS soccer. The ball can break the plane completely and come back in (in the air), except on a corner kick.
NVRef is correct.

Old Wed Aug 06, 2003, 11:50pm
Official Forum Member

sorry

im sorry about that. im the one that greg asked the question for. i must have been severly confused (or the referees didnt explain the entire situation to me). please forgive my mistake
Old Thu Aug 07, 2003, 05:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Quote:
NVRef is correct.
Tony: I'm not following you on this. I'll have to dig out my soccer rule book, but as I remember it, if a player kicks the ball forward and it goes completely over the line (OOB) and never touches anything OOB, it can come back across the line and remain in play.
Old Thu Aug 07, 2003, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

NevRef is right

. . . unless NFHS has changed a fundamental rule of soccer.

From FIFA's Laws of the Game
Law 9, Ball In and Out of Play
Ball Out of Play
The ball is out of play when:
it has wholly crossed the goal line or touch
line whether on the ground or in the air
play has been stopped by the referee

I played, coached and reffed soccer and know of no league where this is not the rule.
Old Thu Aug 07, 2003, 02:48pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Red face

Holy nil, Batman. Why don't you guys take this Euro discussion over to the French (read: soccer) board?

Old Thu Aug 07, 2003, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Quote:
NVRef is correct.
Tony: I'm not following you on this. I'll have to dig out my soccer rule book, but as I remember it, if a player kicks the ball forward and it goes completely over the line (OOB) and never touches anything OOB, it can come back across the line and remain in play.
If the ball completely breaks the sideline plane, it's out, whether grounded or airborne.