View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 05, 2003, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:
Originally posted by GregAlan
but I was conducting a referee training yesterday, and one of the trainees said that the PIL league here in Oregon is calling that out of bounds and dead ball if the player has broken the sideline plane. I don't know. Comments?
I've worked with dozens of officials who work the PIL. None of them I've ever met is that dumb (except one who told me a player's status is determined by his "center of gravity").

I doubt very highly that Howard Mayo ever taught this to any PBOA official.

BTW - there are no separate rules for the PIL. They use standard NF rules as adopted by the OSAA.
GregAlan--
PIL would be Portland Interscholastic League, in Portland Oregon, correct? I've been IN the PBOA (Portland Basketball officials' Association) for four years. We cover all the PIL games, boys, girls, Freshman, JV and Varsity. All their scrimmages, pre-season, play-off and tournament games. I've never heard of such a thing. I'd be curious if you'd privately e-mail me who the person was that said that. I'm sure someone in our association would like to discuss with him his interpretation of the rule, and his read on what he is being told.

By the way, where are you, and what training was it? Perhaps some of us Portland-Vancouver forum members already know you and we could chat some time.