The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 10, 2003, 07:10am
In Memoriam

Question

Yesterday, I checked out the Pan-Am games briefly, once I found them on our Canadian channel across Gitchee Gumee.

Women's game Canada and Cuba.
Canada's ball for a front court, endline throw-in.

Ca1 saw Cu1 facing another player, away from Ca1, about 6' off the endline. Ca1 threw the ball off Cu1's glutius maximus, ran in-bounds, retreived the ball on the first bounce, and started to elevate for an 8' jumper when the whistle blew.

There was no explanation of why the whistle blew by the Canadian announcers, who are typically better-versed in sports that are very cold. Maybe something happened off-ball.

Is that thrown-in legal, or illegal, when the trapezoidal free-throw lane is used?

mick
Old Sun Aug 10, 2003, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

I referee FIBA rules most of the time. The situation you described would be no different than NF or NCAA. That throw-in is certainly legal. The only thing I could think of as an explanation is that the Canadian player was still standing out-of-bounds when she retrieved the ball. By your description, that does not seem to be possible. Like you said, perhaps it was something off the ball.

My experience in watching international ball is that some of the officials do not sell their calls very well. In that situation, you would think the ref would want everyone to know why he blew the whistle.

As far as Canadian announcers are concerned, they are not always well-versed in basketball rules. Of course all the American announcers are faultless in their knowledge of the rules. Billy Packer leading the way.

Old Sun Aug 10, 2003, 10:15am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Yesterday, I checked out the Pan-Am games briefly, once I found them on our Canadian channel across Gitchee Gumee.

Ca1 saw Cu1 facing another player, away from Ca1, about 6' off the endline. Ca1 threw the ball off Cu1's glutius maximus, ran in-bounds, retreived the ball on the first bounce, and started to elevate for an 8' jumper when the whistle blew.

There was no explanation of why the whistle blew by the Canadian announcers, who are typically better-versed in sports that are very cold. Maybe something happened off-ball.

Is that thrown-in legal, or illegal, when the trapezoidal free-throw lane is used?

mick
The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they call Gitchigumi.

Thanks for the reminder, mick. I've saying to myself for years that I wanna visit Detroit where the church bell rang 29 times.

Do you happen to know who or where the official was/from? An Ontario FIBA official is at those games. However, if the whistle was indeed called for an illegal throw-in not because the player still had OOB status, I can't believe that my friend would kick that call.

[Edited by JugglingReferee on Aug 10th, 2003 at 10:19 AM]
Old Sun Aug 10, 2003, 11:22am

Quote:

mick
This game is on (obviously) replay on CBC Country Canada - I will watch for the play. It's only 5 min in the game so far...
Old Sun Aug 10, 2003, 12:14pm

Just saw the play... it appears that the ref kicked the call.
Old Sun Aug 10, 2003, 01:05pm
In Memoriam

Smile Neato!

Quote:
Originally posted by JugglingReferee
Just saw the play... it appears that the ref kicked the call.
Cool.
Thanks.
mick
Old Sun Aug 10, 2003, 09:06pm
Administrator

Quote:

mick

I did not see the play you are talking about but I did watch some a good portion of the second quarter and I was not impressed with the female official, it looked like she was wearing a gold bracelet on her right wrist. Which official made the call in your play.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Aug 10, 2003, 09:19pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Quote:

mick

I did not see the play you are talking about but I did watch some a good portion of the second quarter and I was not impressed with the female official, it looked like she was wearing a gold bracelet on her right wrist. Which official made the call in your play.
Mark T.,
I think it was she.
mick