The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 25, 2013, 03:32am
Official Forum Member

Can we juggle the ball while in play?

For example A1 is holding the ball standing still, can he juggle the ball from his left hand to his right vice versa (ball leaves hand before contact with the other hand) like what players tend to do before making their Free Throws?

Also can i do something similar when going for the basket by switching shooting hands by throwing the ball from my left hand to my right before shooting instead of the normal hand switch where the ball is always in contact with one of the hands?
Old Thu Jul 25, 2013, 06:07am
Esteemed Forum Member

In Fac', I Was De Baddest Dribbler In The Whole Neighborhood ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by potato View Post
For example A1 is holding the ball standing still, can he juggle the ball from his left hand to his right vice versa (ball leaves hand before contact with the other hand)?
Sounds legal to me. In fact, it's also legal to stand, while holding the ball, and touch the floor with the ball repeatedly.

"If it's not illegal, it's legal." (Confucius)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Jul 25, 2013, 07:47am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
For example A1 is holding the ball standing still, can he juggle the ball from his left hand to his right vice versa (ball leaves hand before contact with the other hand) like what players tend to do before making their Free Throws?

Also can i do something similar when going for the basket by switching shooting hands by throwing the ball from my left hand to my right before shooting instead of the normal hand switch where the ball is always in contact with one of the hands?
What violation should we be calling?
Old Thu Jul 25, 2013, 08:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Pretty sure the first one is right from the case book.

The second happens all the time, so that answer should be obvious.

Curious -- why are you asking all these questions? are you an official? a player? a coach? ...
Old Thu Jul 25, 2013, 04:19pm
Esteemed Forum Member

4.44.3 Situation D ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Pretty sure the first one is right from the case book.
Always listen to bob.

A1 tosses the ball from one hand to the other while keeping his/her pivot foot in contact with the floor. RULING: Legal.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Jul 25, 2013 at 04:40pm.
Old Thu Jul 25, 2013, 04:23pm
Esteemed Forum Member

4.15 Comment ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
It's also legal to stand, while holding the ball, and touch the floor with the ball repeatedly.
It is not a dribble when a player stands still and holds the ball and touches it to the floor once or more than once.

Old Thu Jul 25, 2013, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Curious -- why are you asking all these questions? are you an official? a player? a coach? ...
He is obviously taking his test in preparation for the Fall season in his location. Perhaps MS ball is played duirng the Fall there.
Old Fri Jul 26, 2013, 08:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
He is obviously taking his test in preparation for the Fall season in his location. Perhaps MS ball is played duirng the Fall there.
I'm not sure it's obvious -- most of the "test prep" questions we get are actual questions.

I think it's more likely that it deals with disagreements that have come up in a "call your own" rec-type game.