The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 28, 2013, 04:21pm
Esteemed Forum Member

It's A Question, Notice The Question Mark ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
A dribble is an action done by a player in control of the ball. If the dribbler loses control and then touches the ball once or more in an attempt to regain control, that player is not dribbling again and the dribble is still interrupted ...
... and if said player steps on, or over, a boundary line, then it isn't an out of bounds violation, according to 4-15-6-D (During an interrupted dribble: Out-of-bounds violation does not apply on the player involved in the interrupted dribble)?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Jun 28, 2013 at 04:24pm.
Old Fri Jun 28, 2013, 04:23pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Better ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Once he touches the ball the dribble is no longer interrupted, and all bets are off.
Quote:
Not true. A dribble is an action done by a player in control of the ball. If the dribbler loses control and then touches the ball once or more in an attempt to regain control, that player is not dribbling again and the dribble is still interrupted.
Once he dribbles the ball the dribble is no longer interrupted, and all bets are off.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Jun 28, 2013 at 04:28pm.
Old Fri Jun 28, 2013, 04:27pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Closure ???

Quote:
The player involved with the interrupted dribble cannot be called for an out of bounds violation.
Quote:
Considering the section heading (Out of Bounds), it seems that the illegal action listed in article three makes your above statement false.
So who's right, Nevadaref, or BillyMac. I say BillyMac, but of course, I always side with the handsome, intelligent guys.

Old Fri Jun 28, 2013, 07:23pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
So who's right, Nevadaref, or BillyMac. (deleted the fluff)
I think Nevadaref was misreading the OP.
Old Fri Jun 28, 2013, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I think Nevadaref was misreading the OP.
Nope, I read the OP just fine.
However, I never responded to it or commented on anything in it.
What I did was take exception with a statement that BillyMac posted and wrote a reply to that. You are the one who misread my post as evidenced by your first reply in this thread.
Old Fri Jun 28, 2013, 09:40pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Nope, I read the OP just fine.
However, I never responded to it or commented on anything in it.
What I did was take exception with a statement that BillyMac posted and wrote a reply to that. You are the one who misread my post as evidenced by your first reply in this thread.
Not the first time that's happened.
Old Fri Jun 28, 2013, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

Billy, let me try to clarify this for you. The only rule which a player involved in an interrupted dribble is exempt from is the Note directly under 9-3-1 and that is because he simply is NOT a dribbler! All other rules apply to this player as normal.

Quote:
4-15-6-D: During an interrupted dribble: Out-of-bounds violation does not apply on the player involved in the interrupted dribble.
I guess it was unclear to some folks back in the day, if a player violated per 9-1-3 Note during an interrupted dribble, so the NFHS attempted to clarify by crafting this. Of course, this language was written long before 9-3-3 was added to the books. As you know it was previously a technical foul to deliberately leave the court during playing action. So the wording has now gone from poor to very poor. The NFHS should never have written that the player isn't subject to an OOB violation. We have given several examples which demonstrate that he is. What they should have written was that the provision listed for a dribbler in 9-3-1 Note does not apply to a player involved in a interrupted dribble. That's it.

Quote:
9-3-1-Note: The dribbler has committed a violation if he/she steps on or outside a boundary, even though he/she is not touching the ball while he/she is out of bounds.
Old Fri Jun 28, 2013, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Not the first time that's happened.
And not a big deal. Just wanted to clarify for you that all of my comments in this thread pertain to BillyMac's sentence which I put in red.
I think that I need a nap now.
Old Fri Jun 28, 2013, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Once he touches the ball the dribble is no longer interrupted, and all bets are off.
Quote:
Not true. A dribble is an action done by a player in control of the ball. If the dribbler loses control and then touches the ball once or more in an attempt to regain control, that player is not dribbling again and the dribble is still interrupted.
Quote:
Once he dribbles the ball the dribble is no longer interrupted, and all bets are off.
Nobody is disagreeing with this. But that's NOT what you wrote. Read your original post. You wrote, "Once he TOUCHES the ball..."

Touching the ball does not automatically constitute a dribble NVRef and Camron have both previously pointed this out.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Jun 29, 2013, 12:01pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Corrēctiō ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
But that's NOT what you wrote. Read your original post. You wrote, "Once he TOUCHES the ball..."
Agree on the original post. Maybe you missed the title of the second post in which I stated, "Once he dribbles the ball the dribble is no longer interrupted, and all bets are off". The title: "Better ???", meaning, is the correction an improvement from the original post?

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Jun 29, 2013 at 12:29pm.
Old Sat Jun 29, 2013, 12:06pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Closure ???

Quote:
The provision listed for a dribbler in 9-3-1 Note does not apply to a player involved in an interrupted dribble ...
... because an interrupted dribbler is no longer a dribbler. So 4-15-6-D (During an interrupted dribble: Out-of-bounds violation does not apply on the player involved in the interrupted dribble.) is correct.

Are we in agreement?

Old Sat Jun 29, 2013, 12:17pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Closure ...

Quote:
If the dribbler loses control and then touches the ball once or more in an attempt to regain control, that player is not dribbling again and the dribble is still interrupted ...
... and if said player, an interrupted dribbler, contacts the ball, and touches out of bounds, at the same time, that player has committed an out of bounds violation.

Are we in agreement?

Old Sat Jun 29, 2013, 12:28pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Rain In Spain Stays Mainly In The Plain ...

Player A1, while dribbling near a sideline, touches the boundary, but not at the same time that he is touching the dribbled ball. Violation 9-3-1 Note.

Player A2, while dribbling near a sideline, bounces the ball off his foot, becomes an interrupted dribbler, and while attempting to regain control of the ball, touches a boundary, when he is not in contact with the ball. No violation 4-15-6-D.

Player A3, while dribbling near a sideline, bounces the ball off his foot, becomes an interrupted dribbler, and while attempting to regain control of the ball, touches a boundary, when he is in contact, but not in control, of the ball. Violation 9-3-2.

"By George, I think she's got it."

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Jun 29, 2013 at 12:46pm.
Old Mon Jul 01, 2013, 03:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Player A1, while dribbling near a sideline, touches the boundary, but not at the same time that he is touching the dribbled ball. Violation 9-3-1 Note.

Player A2, while dribbling near a sideline, bounces the ball off his foot, becomes an interrupted dribbler, and while attempting to regain control of the ball, touches a boundary, when he is not in contact with the ball. No violation 4-15-6-D.

Player A3, while dribbling near a sideline, bounces the ball off his foot, becomes an interrupted dribbler, and while attempting to regain control of the ball, touches a boundary, when he is in contact, but not in control, of the ball. Violation 9-3-2.

"By George, I think she's got it."
I concur.