The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 17, 2010, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Looking for Help with Some Basic Questions

Hello All,

New here and relatively new referee. I have reffed for over 5 years but it's been almost 10 years since I started up again this month. I currently ref in a middle school rec league and need some help with some basic questions. I have NFHS's Rules by Topic book but couldn't find these scenarios in it nor could I find answers when googling - perhaps, too basic? Anyway, I appreciate any help and look forward to reading your answers.

1. A1 is dribbling with her right hand while being guarded. A1 loses control of her dribble and the ball bounces away from her. She takes several steps to catch up to the ball and without grabbing or touching the ball with two hands, she continues her dribble with her right hand. The play occurred right in front of me and I let it go. However, my partner blows his whistle and calls a traveling violation, explaining she passed the ball to herself. All I can say is considering A1's basketball ability and IQ, there is no way she intentionally passed the ball to herself -- she most certainly lost control of it. Is this a traveling violation?

2. A free throw shooter jumps in order to try his foul shot. Before the ball hits the rim, his front foot's toe lands on the free throw line (about an inch onto it) but does not go beyond it in any way. Is this a violation?

3. Same scenario as number two but this is with a player lined up along the lane. His toe steps onto but not over the lane line before the ball hits the rim. Is this a violation?

4. B1 is defending A1. Every time A1 gets the ball, B1 starts yelling obnoxiously in order to distract A1. B1 does not taunt or curse or even really use words; she just yells. Is this allowed? Is this a technical foul? Is this behavior allowed during free throws? Is this allowed in any scenario?

5. Team B scores a made basket and decides to press Team A. It takes Team A four seconds to inbound the ball. Team A, then, still has the ball for another six seconds in their backcourt. Has team A committed a ten-second violation? When does the ten second count actually begin?

6. I have read in the NFHS book that hand checking, especially if persistent, is a foul. I infer this to mean that persistent hands on a player who has the ball should be called even if it's not clear if the defender is gaining any advantage by having his hands there, correct? This seems to differ from other foul calls a ref would make where he is deciding if the contact gains an advantage for the player.

7. A1 and B1, both grab a rebound simultaneously. Before a jump ball is called, A1 starts moving both his feet (takes steps) in order to maintain contact with the ball, while B1 holds his left perfectly still on the floor. Is this a jump ball or a traveling violation on A1?

8. Same scenario as seven but this time A1 maintains a pivot foot with his left foot but steps out of bounds with his right foot before a jump ball is called. Is this out of bounds on A1, ball goes to team B?

9. Last one...A1 is dribbling in his frontcourt and B1 knocks the ball away from him and it bounces into the backcourt. A1 runs and retrieves the ball in the backcourt, touching it first. Has a backcourt violation occurred? What if A1 had merely touched it while it was still in the frontcourt after B1 had knocked it away and then finally gained control of it after it entered the backcourt?

Thanks again. Even after playing and watching basketball for decades, it's amazing how little confidence one can have in some basic rules of the games. It gives me a new found respect for what refs go through and how much they know!!
Old Fri Dec 17, 2010, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
1. A1 is dribbling with her right hand while being guarded. A1 loses control of her dribble and the ball bounces away from her. She takes several steps to catch up to the ball and without grabbing or touching the ball with two hands, she continues her dribble with her right hand. The play occurred right in front of me and I let it go. However, my partner blows his whistle and calls a traveling violation, explaining she passed the ball to herself. All I can say is considering A1's basketball ability and IQ, there is no way she intentionally passed the ball to herself -- she most certainly lost control of it. Is this a traveling violation?
One can't travel during an interrupted dribble. This is not a travel. Also, by definition, one can not pass the ball to oneself.

Quote:
2. A free throw shooter jumps in order to try his foul shot. Before the ball hits the rim, his front foot's toe lands on the free throw line (about an inch onto it) but does not go beyond it in any way. Is this a violation?
The restrictions on the free throw shooter end when the ball hits the rim. Part of this restriction includes not having his foot break the vertical plane of free throw line (the portion furthest away from the basket).

Quote:
3. Same scenario as number two but this is with a player lined up along the lane. His toe steps onto but not over the lane line before the ball hits the rim. Is this a violation?
No violation. Player didn't leave his marked spot.

Quote:
4. B1 is defending A1. Every time A1 gets the ball, B1 starts yelling obnoxiously in order to distract A1. B1 does not taunt or curse or even really use words; she just yells. Is this allowed? Is this a technical foul? Is this behavior allowed during free throws? Is this allowed in any scenario?
In of itself it's not unsporting. Depending on what the player is saying, a T could be issued. If this is during a free throw, it would be considered disconcertion and disallowed and if the free throw is missed, a replacement free throw will be given due to disconcertion.

Quote:
5. Team B scores a made basket and decides to press Team A. It takes Team A four seconds to inbound the ball. Team A, then, still has the ball for another six seconds in their backcourt. Has team A committed a ten-second violation? When does the ten second count actually begin?
The ten second count begins when a team is in control of the ball while the ball has a backcourt location. Remember there is no team control during a throw-in.

Quote:
6. I have read in the NFHS book that hand checking, especially if persistent, is a foul. I infer this to mean that persistent hands on a player who has the ball should be called even if it's not clear if the defender is gaining any advantage by having his hands there, correct? This seems to differ from other foul calls a ref would make where he is deciding if the contact gains an advantage for the player.
We still do use advantage/disadvantage on this play. An advantage will be seen when it affects a player's speed, quickness, rhythm, or balance. Also generally, two hands on a dribbler is disallowed.

Quote:
7. A1 and B1, both grab a rebound simultaneously. Before a jump ball is called, A1 starts moving both his feet (takes steps) in order to maintain contact with the ball, while B1 holds his left perfectly still on the floor. Is this a jump ball or a traveling violation on A1?
By rule you could call a jump ball. If I see this happen though, it's a jump ball every time.

Quote:
8. Same scenario as seven but this time A1 maintains a pivot foot with his left foot but steps out of bounds with his right foot before a jump ball is called. Is this out of bounds on A1, ball goes to team B?
By rule you could have an out of bounds violation. I think most officials would just call the jump ball.

Quote:
9. Last one...A1 is dribbling in his frontcourt and B1 knocks the ball away from him and it bounces into the backcourt. A1 runs and retrieves the ball in the backcourt, touching it first. Has a backcourt violation occurred? What if A1 had merely touched it while it was still in the frontcourt after B1 had knocked it away and then finally gained control of it after it entered the backcourt?
Criteria for backcourt violation:
1. Team control
2. Ball achieves a front court status
3. The team in control is last to touch the ball in the front court before it goes into the backcourt
4. The team in control is the first to touch the ball after it goes into the backcourt.

So with that, the first play would not be a violation while the second play would.

Quote:
Thanks again. Even after playing and watching basketball for decades, it's amazing how little confidence one can have in some basic rules of the games. It gives me a new found respect for what refs go through and how much they know!!
In addition to getting a rules by topic book, I'd suggest getting the actual rule book and case book. A lot of your questions can be found and answered in the case book.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Dec 17, 2010, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

AllPurpose,

In reference to your answer to #3, the player's lane space is marked by the plane of the line just like on a free throw. A toe on (or over) the line would, by rule, constitute leaving the marked lane space.
Old Fri Dec 17, 2010, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018 View Post
AllPurpose,

In reference to your answer to #3, the player's lane space is marked by the plane of the line just like on a free throw. A toe on (or over) the line would, by rule, constitute leaving the marked lane space.
You know, that was in the back of my mind haha...thanks for the clarification.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Dec 17, 2010, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for all your help!

It's interesting that generally a player always has to be behind a line for something to count and for there not to be a violation, except when inbounding the ball, a player is allowed to step on the boundary line without crossing it. I guess this is because the line is considered part of out of bounds.

I just ordered a rules book and cases book. Thanks for the tip.

I also have a question that can't be answered by a rules book. What do you do with a partner ref who clearly makes mistakes or bad calls? I'm sure I've been that ref as well as the partner of that ref. If, for example, he calls a ten-second backcourt violation because he thinks the period of time during the throw in counts, do you overrule him or let it go and bring it up during a break? Normally, I'd be in favor of huddling up to discuss it and persuade him to change his call, but sometimes because of game situations this seems really uncomfortable. Is it more important to stick by your partner or to get the call right, no matter what?
Old Fri Dec 17, 2010, 05:22pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearningREF View Post

It's interesting that generally a player always has to be behind a line for something to count and for there not to be a violation, except when inbounding the ball, a player is allowed to step on the boundary line without crossing it. I guess this is because the line is considered part of out of bounds.

I just ordered a rules book and cases book. Thanks for the tip.

I also have a question that can't be answered by a rules book. What do you do with a partner ref who clearly makes mistakes or bad calls? I'm sure I've been that ref as well as the partner of that ref. If, for example, he calls a ten-second backcourt violation because he thinks the period of time during the throw in counts, do you overrule him or let it go and bring it up during a break? Normally, I'd be in favor of huddling up to discuss it and persuade him to change his call, but sometimes because of game situations this seems really uncomfortable. Is it more important to stick by your partner or to get the call right, no matter what?
Generally, you have to trust your partner. If my partner calls a 10 second violation, I won't have any clue whether he's even close to right. I'm not counting. I only consider offering information on glaring errors.
Old Fri Dec 17, 2010, 05:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Actually, the line is where inbounds and OOB meet. So if the player steps on that line, it's a violation. The OOB boundary could be two inches wide or two feet wide.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Dec 17, 2010, 06:01pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Actually, the line is where inbounds and OOB meet. So if the player steps on that line, it's a violation. The OOB boundary could be two inches wide or two feet wide.
I think he's talking about a thrower OOB legally stepping on a boundary line. I think.... too many commas...
Old Fri Dec 17, 2010, 06:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
I think he's talking about a thrower OOB legally stepping on a boundary line. I think.... too many commas...
That is correct. I should have been clearer.
Old Fri Dec 17, 2010, 07:56pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
That is correct. I should have been clearer.
The point is, though, the only part of that line that matters is the "inside" edge. The OOB line itself is the inside edge of whatever boundary line is painted. Some courts don't paint a line, they simply have contrasting colors for IB and OOB. I've seen courts that had a line that seemed like it was about 5 feet wide.
Old Fri Dec 17, 2010, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
The point is, though, the only part of that line that matters is the "inside" edge. The OOB line itself is the inside edge of whatever boundary line is painted. Some courts don't paint a line, they simply have contrasting colors for IB and OOB. I've seen courts that had a line that seemed like it was about 5 feet wide.
Oh. Got ya. That makes sense, especially picturing courts without lines.