The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 04, 2013, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

2013 NCAAW Camp Teaching Points

For those of us getting ready for camp on the NCAAW side of the game. Yes, it's long but the .pdf was too large to make into an attachment.

For those in HS who don't normally do 3-person but would like to this can provide some helpful, basic information.

=================================

1. Court Positioning – Trail.
�� Rebound coverage. Collegiate Commissioners Association (CCA) manual, pages 67-68.
a. Primary rebounding responsibilities- perimeter, strong side and weak side rebounds.
While the ball is on the way to the basket and as the ball comes off the rim, referee all illegal contact such as clamping, grabs, pull downs, riding under, pushing for position with hands, shoulder, and lower body and flailing as shot is taken and until the ball is clearly possessed. Trail often has the open look at weakside rebounds.
b. Complete the current play until transitioning to the Lead.
c. Do not follow the flight of the ball. Referee players.
d. Stay engaged and be no further away than the 28’ line until ball is clearly possessed. Do not drift toward division line when shot is taken.
2. Court Positioning – Center.
�� Transition coverage. CCA manual, pages 72-73.
a. Primary transition responsibilities rear two-thirds of the players in transition.
b. Hold position momentarily after field goal/free throw attempt or change of possession. Be in position to observe all activity.
c. Hold position near division line or in backcourt (no closer than top of the circle) after rebounds and scored baskets and maintain this back-court position whenever 3 or more players are still remaining in this area. You must move into the front-court when only one-on-one coverage in the back-court exists.
d. Center is responsible for on-the-ball coverage as soon as the ball crosses the division line and into the center’s area.
e. Center should not assume a Trail position after he/she crosses the division line. Assume a Center position free throw line extended and referee your area.
f. If the ball is under pressure or trapped near midcourt in the front court, move back to referee the play.
3. Court Positioning – Lead.
a. Starting Position. CCA manual, pages 54-58.
i. Primary Lead responsibilities. When the ball is on the Lead’s side of the court (strongside), the Lead establishes a wide-angle position (two to three steps inside the 3-point arc line extended off the court) mirroring the ball.
ii. When the ball is in the middle of the court or on Center’s side of the court(weakside), the Lead establishes a close-down position (one step outside the free-throw lane line extended off the court).
iii. Once an official establishes appropriate starting positions as the Lead in the half court, the official must then follow all Lead mechanics and court coverage responsibilities as described in the CCA Manual, pages 56-58.
iv. The new Lead must look back over her/his shoulder and observe the status of the game clock, 30-second clock, the ball and players as the play comes toward the new Lead. When leaving the Trail position to become to new Lead, officials must continue to observe players (CCA Manual, page 70).
b. Rebound coverage.
i. When a shot is taken, Lead must adjust positioning for the best rebound coverage.
ii. Lead should never watch the flight of the ball.
4. Referee primary areas of responsibility; know on and off ball responsibilities. (CCA Manual, pages 52-53)
5. Referee Areas of Intersection.
a. The primary coverage official needs to stay with the ball/play until the ball/play clearly leaves the primary coverage area.
b. “Non-verbal communication, eye contact and body language are key in recognizing when a partner assumes responsibility to accept a play.” This requires you to look at your partner. If your partner is looking on ball, go off ball. If your partner is not looking at the ball/play, then stay with the play. (CCA Manual, page 53)
6. Three point coverage.
�� Coverage of the 3-point shot requires that you first adjust position to establish an open angle between the shooter and defender. This coverage will give a better look to see illegal hits on the arm and elbow and keep officials from being straight lined on 3-point attempts. (CCA Manual page 69)
7. Screening.
�� When covering the screen, look for defenders pushing through the screen, defenders holding the cutter or ball-handler attempting to use the screen, screeners holding or impeding the defenders attempting to move around the screen, and defenders holding or impeding the screener. Make sure the screen is legally set. (CCA Manual Page 14)
8. Double whistles.
�� Recognition (B). (CCA Manual page 107)
9. Beckon substitutions onto the court.
a. The administering official will be responsible for bringing in substitute players.
b. All substitutions will occur when the administering official sounds the whistle and beckons the substitute onto the floor. This official will keep her/his hand held high to indicate that the substitution process is not over and use that hand to beckon substitutes.
c. Any official may indicate that subs are at the table by sounding the whistle then relinquishing the substitution to the administering official.
10. Free Throw Violations.
�� Be more aware of all areas of violating restrictions on free throws (i.e. disconcertion, illegally boxing out the free throw shooter, breaking the 3-point arc before the ball hits the rim).
11. Reinforce The Basics.
12. RA/Help Teaching Points.
a. The center official needs to position adjust to referee the legality of the secondary defender when the dribble drive/play is on the strong side.
b. The lead official needs to be no nearer than the close down position to referee the legality of the secondary defender when the dribble drive/play goes down the middle of the lane. Center and Trail can and must position adjust to help on this play.
c. The lead official needs to position adjust to the lane line to referee the legality of the secondary defender when the dribble drive/play coming from the weak side.
13. Ten-second backcourt violation.
a. There will be no visible count.
b. Trail has primary responsibility. Center has secondary responsibility.
c. The 10-second backcourt count will start when the shot clock starts which is on a legal touch by any player. This count will end when the ball has gained front court status, defined as when the ball touches the front court or someone in the front court on a pass, or when the ball and both feet are in the front court on a dribble.
d. A 10-second back court violation occurs when the ball has not gained front court status on the 10th second (e.g., a continuous 10-second count begins with a shot clock at 30 seconds and the violation occurs when the shot clock displays 20).
e. There will be a new 10-second count when a timeout is called, the ball is deflected out of bounds, the ball is deflected into the back court from the front court, or an inadvertent whistle occurs.
f. Officials are to recognize and communicate that a new number on the shot clock will be used anytime a new 10-second count begins.
g. To indicate a 10-second violation, the official will blow the whistle and show 10 fingers with arms shoulder height.
h. In conjunction with the 10-second backcourt violation rule, there will no longer be a 5-second closely guarded violation in the backcourt.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Tue Jun 04, 2013, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

For those of us who don't do very much 3 person - this is a good explanation:
"a. The primary coverage official needs to stay with the ball/play until the ball/play clearly leaves the primary coverage area.
b. “Non-verbal communication, eye contact and body language are key in recognizing when a partner assumes responsibility to accept a play.” This requires you to look at your partner. If your partner is looking on ball, go off ball. If your partner is not looking at the ball/play, then stay with the play. (CCA Manual, page 53)"
Old Tue Jun 04, 2013, 06:23pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
d. Stay engaged and be no further away than the 28’ line until ball is clearly possessed. Do not drift toward division line when shot is taken.
I have noticed myself doing this recently. As Trail, I try to keep all of the players within the triangle made by me and my partners. As such, when long rebounds happen, many players will start running down the court in anticipation of a fast break, which forces me to sometimes "bail" before the rebound is secured.

What takes precedent? Keeping all players inside our coverage or staying where we are until the rebound is secured?
Old Tue Jun 04, 2013, 08:07pm
Official Forum Member

"Do not follow the flight of the ball. Referee players"

I guess the Trail can do this in the women's game because GT and BI is so rare, but this would never work in a HS boys game or for NCAAM.

Also, I can think of one frequent situation when this instruction becomes very poor--a try near the expiration of the shot clock, necessitates that an outside official observe the flight of the ball to determine whether it struck the ring.
Old Wed Jun 05, 2013, 06:06am
Esteemed Forum Member

Let's Be Careful Here ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
"Do not follow the flight of the ball. Referee players". I guess the Trail can do this in the women's game because GT and BI is so rare.
Be careful here. I thought the same thing in a high school girls game, until a three point shot at the buzzer touched a support cable above the backboard.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Jun 05, 2013, 08:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
I have noticed myself doing this recently. As Trail, I try to keep all of the players within the triangle made by me and my partners. As such, when long rebounds happen, many players will start running down the court in anticipation of a fast break, which forces me to sometimes "bail" before the rebound is secured.

What takes precedent? Keeping all players inside our coverage or staying where we are until the rebound is secured?
Which is more likely to cause a problem (require a judgment on a call / no call)? Which can you more quickly adjust to cover?
Old Wed Jun 05, 2013, 08:46am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

Stay and referee the play at hand. Position your body to catch any leakers in your peripheral.
Old Wed Jun 05, 2013, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
We're told officiate what's in front of you not what may happen. If you get beat to the other end it'll probably be by three players at the most and it's not going to happen all game long (or at least it shouldn't). If you can't make it to the end line just find an angle to officiate outside in.

Look at it this way: Where are you more than likely going to have an issue, with the two players running to the other end or the eight players in front of you? I use the same philosophy in two-person and it's helped keep me much more sane.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)