The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 31, 2013, 06:32pm
Official Forum Member

From the Commissioner...

Stern tells NBC Sports Radio: Andersen should have been ejected for Hansbrough shove

I can see giving Hansbrough the T. Unless he turns his back or when he's approached Hansbrough keeps his mouth shut he's in danger of getting one. What I can't see is allowing Andersen to stay in the game after the inital contact. The NBA's definition of a FF2 is a foul that's "unecessary and excessive." It's hard to believe that contact wasn't determined to meet both those criteria.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)

Last edited by JetMetFan; Fri May 31, 2013 at 06:47pm.
Old Fri May 31, 2013, 07:09pm
Official Forum Member

And hot off the presses...

NEW YORK (AP) - Miami forward Chris Andersen has been suspended for Game 6 of the Eastern Conference finals for his altercation with Indiana's Tyler Hansbrough in Game 5.

The NBA also upgraded Andersen's foul to a Flagrant 2, which would have meant an automatic ejection had it been called at the time.

Andersen knocked Hansbrough to the floor from behind with 9:02 left in the second quarter, then shoved him backward after Hansbrough got up. The NBA also says Friday in a statement that Andersen "resisted efforts to bring the altercation to an end."
Old Fri May 31, 2013, 08:32pm
Official Forum Member

I'm willing to bet in the post-game evaluation, or nightly video conferencing and tape breakdown - not tossing Andersen was pointed out.

I was surprised after Dan Crawford went to the monitor and stuck with just a F1 and T.
Old Fri May 31, 2013, 09:12pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
He actually knocked Hanbrough down with the first body block. Then he shoved him when they came back together. The combination of those 2 things should have earned him an ejection, IMO. I wouldn't be surprised if Birdman is not in the line-up Saturday night.
As I figured he has been suspended.
Old Fri May 31, 2013, 10:37pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Why not?

If Hansbrough is getting a T for what he did, the right thing to do is call Anderson for a live ball personal F1 and a dead ball T. The shove was a completely separate act from the initial foul and deserves its own penalty.
NBA Rules maybe?

Peace
Old Fri May 31, 2013, 10:53pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
NEW YORK (AP) - Miami forward Chris Andersen has been suspended for Game 6 of the Eastern Conference finals for his altercation with Indiana's Tyler Hansbrough in Game 5.

The NBA also upgraded Andersen's foul to a Flagrant 2, which would have meant an automatic ejection had it been called at the time.

Andersen knocked Hansbrough to the floor from behind with 9:02 left in the second quarter, then shoved him backward after Hansbrough got up. The NBA also says Friday in a statement that Andersen "resisted efforts to bring the altercation to an end."
And Hansbrough's T was rescinded. The right decision was (eventually) made, IMO. Watching this in a restaurant last night, I thought it was a horrible decision, especially with video available to get it right the first time.
Old Fri May 31, 2013, 11:23pm
Do not give a damn!!

So if he MF'd Anderson or said something else inappropriate that is OK?

I think that is a horrible precident considering that both had words with each other.

Peace
Old Sat Jun 01, 2013, 01:25am
Official Forum Member

Regarding Hansbrough's T - I agree with JRut. Regardless of what happened to him, he had to option of turning and walking away and he didn't. Even if he just stays down on the floor he's not getting a T. Instead, he square off with Andersen.

That being said, I'm still baffled how the crew could review this one and not toss him. For me, it falls into the category of two areas I consider for an ejection:

1. Sometimes you just forfeit your chance to play.
2. There are some things you don't get the chance to do twice.

BTW, this video has an extra angle. It's also larger.

Old Sat Jun 01, 2013, 01:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
NBA Rules maybe?

Peace
Which one(s)?

The only one I see that is relevant says that the shove wouldn't be a T if the player had already been ejected. Since they didn't call the first contact an F2, Anderson wasn't ejected. Thus, a subsequent T is still possible.

I don't see any reason in what I'm reading that says a player can't get a T for shoving someone if they do it within a certain amount of time of committing a personal foul.

If you know of NBA rules that say otherwise, cite them. And remember, they did call an F1 AND a T on Anderson...and there was no mention in the NBA's followup of the play of that being incorrect.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Sat Jun 01, 2013 at 01:51am.
Old Sat Jun 01, 2013, 08:45am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Which one(s)?

The only one I see that is relevant says that the shove wouldn't be a T if the player had already been ejected. Since they didn't call the first contact an F2, Anderson wasn't ejected. Thus, a subsequent T is still possible.

I don't see any reason in what I'm reading that says a player can't get a T for shoving someone if they do it within a certain amount of time of committing a personal foul.

If you know of NBA rules that say otherwise, cite them. And remember, they did call an F1 AND a T on Anderson...and there was no mention in the NBA's followup of the play of that being incorrect.
I am not an NBA Rules guru. I am under the impression that these acts have to be treated as a double foul when situations take place during a dead ball against opponents. They do not handle these things (to my knowledge) like they do at other codes. And if you noticed, the only issue was whether a foul should have been given, not how many fouls should have been given because of each action.

Now maybe APG or others more versed on the rules can clarify either way, but that is my understanding of why this was handled that way. I am going to assume that the officials at that level know their rules better then most of us here.

Peace
Old Sat Jun 01, 2013, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I am not an NBA Rules guru. I am under the impression that these acts have to be treated as a double foul when situations take place during a dead ball against opponents. They do not handle these things (to my knowledge) like they do at other codes. And if you noticed, the only issue was whether a foul should have been given, not how many fouls should have been given because of each action.

Now maybe APG or others more versed on the rules can clarify either way, but that is my understanding of why this was handled that way. I am going to assume that the officials at that level know their rules better then most of us here.

Peace
OK. so what in my original statement are you disagreeing with again? Or are you just having fun trying to disagree?
Old Sat Jun 01, 2013, 05:05pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
OK. so what in my original statement are you disagreeing with again? Or are you just having fun trying to disagree?
I believe you were suggesting that another T should be called for the same event. Not sure that is something I would do in this situation or proper.

Also I believe my statements were first.

Peace
Old Sat Jun 01, 2013, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
I believe you were suggesting that another T should be called for the same event. Not sure that is something I would do in this situation or proper.

Also I believe my statements were first.

Old Sat Jun 01, 2013, 07:49pm
Official Forum Member

Just my thoughts:

Could the officials have given Anderson two T's for his actions after the flagrant foul? That's nothing that says they can't if they view the squaring up and shove as two separate actions. From what I see during player altercations and how penalties are divided up, I don't think Anderson's actions warranted two T's. The chest bump and push happen bang bang, so I see no issue with only giving one T. As is, I thought Anderson should have been given a flagrant foul penalty two. But if they thought it was a flagrant foul penalty one, then double T to both players with Anderson getting tossed.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sat Jun 01, 2013, 08:00pm
Do not give a damn!!

I just do not believe in principle giving two different Ts there. It is all in the same action and the official got there to stop anything else.

Peace