The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 07, 2013, 06:40pm
Official Forum Member

Pac-12 Officiating

Didn't remember reading it here. The link below gives some insight into what the coaches want in a new Super of Officials. Seems the coaches feel there is some sort of West Coast bias with "big name" officials.

Pac-12 coaches discuss league's officiating mess - college basketball - ESPN
Old Tue May 07, 2013, 06:53pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Coaches always think there's a bias against them. Geno thinks the officials are biased against male coaches, for example. The deck is always stacked, and it's never in my favor.
Old Tue May 07, 2013, 07:00pm
Official Forum Member

The PAC12 coaches have no idea what or who they want.

"We want to get someone who can attract more quality to work our league. The ones we have are very good.''

Absolute nonsense. Why is there a pressing need to attract more top officials who normally work east of the Mississippi, if the ones that they have now are very good?

That article lacks any substance.
Old Tue May 07, 2013, 07:12pm
Do not give a damn!!

Well some people feel that the Pac 10/12 has had some of the worst staffs of all of the major conferences. Now that might be true or not, but guys out East are not going out west unless you give them more money to work those games. Or give them a lot of double dip opportunities working the Pac 12 and then a minor conference on an "off night."

Peace
Old Tue May 07, 2013, 09:48pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Well some people feel that the Pac 10/12 has had some of the worst staffs of all of the major conferences. Now that might be true or not, but guys out East are not going out west unless you give them more money to work those games. Or give them a lot of double dip opportunities working the Pac 12 and then a minor conference on an "off night."

Peace
So let them stay out east. The PAC 12 doesn't need them.
Old Tue May 07, 2013, 10:50pm
beware big brother

Apparently, the pac 12 coaches would disagree with you rocky.
Old Tue May 07, 2013, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

Bring back Richie Ballesteros and Booker Turner.

Not Mark Reisling.
Old Wed May 08, 2013, 01:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
Apparently, the pac 12 coaches would disagree with you rocky.
They may, but every conference's coaches think some other conference has better referees.
Old Wed May 08, 2013, 06:55am
Official Forum Member

So...Pac 12 coaches don't think officials on the East Coast have families, too?

Seven of the 32 D-I conferences have schools in the Western and Mountain time zones (along with two independents). If I live in the Eastern or Central time zones, why the heck would I want to travel that far when I have tons of games thousands of miles closer to me? The Deadspin article posted during the tournament quoted Ed Corbett as saying the travel is the worst part for him and he's generally just going up and down the eastern seaboard. The money the Pac 12 schools would have to fork over for an Eastern guy to go out there would be prohibitive.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Wed May 08, 2013, 07:47am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
So...Pac 12 coaches don't think officials on the East Coast have families, too?

Seven of the 32 D-I conferences have schools in the Western and Mountain time zones (along with two independents). If I live in the Eastern or Central time zones, why the heck would I want to travel that far when I have tons of games thousands of miles closer to me? The Deadspin article posted during the tournament quoted Ed Corbett as saying the travel is the worst part for him and he's generally just going up and down the eastern seaboard. The money the Pac 12 schools would have to fork over for an Eastern guy to go out there would be prohibitive.
They probably want some of Curtis Shaw's big dawgs and maybe some of the Big 10 officials who live west of the Mississippi. Can't see any Eastern Seaboard officials taking up with the PAC 12. Though Tom Eades worked in the PAC 12 this past season.
Old Wed May 08, 2013, 08:51am
big jake

Smile

I would think with the changes at the SEC that some of the ones that left might return. I hope Eades gets over his health problems and is back next year. No need for him to go across the country to call a game when there many in his zip code that he can call.
Old Wed May 08, 2013, 09:53am
Official & Member

This sounds like the coaches simply want what the other power conferences have. They could be the worst officials in D1 ball...but they would still want them just because they work in the east and likely can't have them.

It feeds into the notion of "east coast bias" and the Pac-whatever is desperate for respect and return to glory...so they have to get those big name east coast guys.

Nonsense. I don't believe for a second that they don't already have officials that are equivalent to the Big Ten, Big East or SEC already filling their rosters. All they're interested in is well known names. It's not a quality issue at all.

Last edited by Bad Zebra; Wed May 08, 2013 at 09:55am.
Old Wed May 08, 2013, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Are the names in the Pac 12 not big enough?

You got Dave Hall, Verne Harris, Randy McCall, Greg Nixon, I could go on and on, top guys that go deep into the tourney every year.

I'm sure this is a ploy by coaches to get the eye off their back because they're losing the race on recruiting top 10 guys to east coast teams.
Old Wed May 08, 2013, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODJ View Post
Bring back Richie Ballesteros and Booker Turner.

Not Mark Reisling.
Booker "UCLA" Turner.
Look up the Bruins' record in games he officiated.
Old Wed May 08, 2013, 12:57pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toren View Post
Are the names in the Pac 12 not big enough?

You got Dave Hall, Verne Harris, Randy McCall, Greg Nixon, I could go on and on, top guys that go deep into the tourney every year.

I'm sure this is a ploy by coaches to get the eye off their back because they're losing the race on recruiting top 10 guys to east coast teams.
I think what they are seeing are guys who work in the ACC and/or SEC and/or Big East and/or Big 10 and/or Big XII. With the PAC 12 big dawgs there isn't nearly the crossover with other major conferences.