The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 06, 2013, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
Definitely a brief discussion as she saunters by...good move to have her retrieve it initially. As a singular act, I don't see it rising to a T-worthy level.
It wasn't singular ... setting the ball down was singular. Kicking it ... I see as T-worthy
Old Mon May 06, 2013, 06:55pm
Official Forum Member

My whistle is getting air when she puts her foot on the ball. She got her "break'"when I told her to retrieve the ball. She is doing that to show up the officials. I won't be an enabler for that behavior.
Old Mon May 06, 2013, 07:04pm
Certified Non-Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ref3808 View Post
My whistle is getting air when she puts her foot on the ball. She got her "break'"when I told her to retrieve the ball. She is doing that to show up the officials. I won't be an enabler for that behavior.
I agree with this.
Old Mon May 06, 2013, 07:17pm
Official Forum Member

T when she kicks the ball. All day every day.
Old Mon May 06, 2013, 08:25pm
Official Forum Member

Definite T. This falls into the category of something you don't let a player do twice.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Mon May 06, 2013, 09:20pm
Do not give a damn!!

The ball would keep rolling. I would not pick up the ball or stop it in any way on purpose. If anything I would just stick her and get it over with. I doubt that was the first problem I would had with her.

Peace
Old Mon May 06, 2013, 10:02pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
In this situation she should have been T'd as soon as she placed the ball on the floor. It is obvious that the new L is asking her for the ball as she does that, so go ahead and ring her up.
Personally, I think the set-down is much worse than using her foot to push the ball to the official after he tells her to get it. I didn't see it as a kick, to be honest.

If I passed on the first T, I don't see calling her for the soccer move unless there's some body language or facial expression I missed the first time I watched it.
Old Tue May 07, 2013, 01:53am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Personally, I think the set-down is much worse than using her foot to push the ball to the official after he tells her to get it. I didn't see it as a kick, to be honest.

If I passed on the first T, I don't see calling her for the soccer move unless there's some body language or facial expression I missed the first time I watched it.

I could see myself using the "go get the ball" tactic. When she pushed the ball with the foot, it's whack time.
Old Tue May 07, 2013, 06:21am
Esteemed Forum Member

Knuckleheads ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
That's not the appropriate or professional manner to handle this.
I see your point, but I'm always going to keep a close eye on the knuckleheads in the game. These are the players (usually football players trying to stay in shape during the winter) who are always blurring the "lines in the sand. These are the players who, very often, are involved with intentional "hard" fouls, flagrant fouls, and verbal confrontations, as well as physical fights. It's in the best interest of the officials to keep an eye on these types of players. I'm not saying to "make up" any calls, but if they do something illegal, then, by all means, don't think about passing on it.

In the case of the young lady in the video. Maybe she caught me by surprise, and maybe I passed on the technical foul the first time, but I can be sure that I won't pass on something similar again.

Let's flip this around. I've heard a philosophy to "protect the stars", that is, to pass on any some calls to keep the star players in the game. I do not agree with this philosophy.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue May 07, 2013 at 06:24am.
Old Tue May 07, 2013, 07:24am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Looks like he had a word with her to knock it off. I'm fine with that approach. If it's the cherry on top of a lot of bad behavior that might be enough to whack but I'd have to be there to know for sure.
This.

No need to elevate to a T if this is the first "incident" with this girl/team.

If they'd been doing nonsense before, I could see myself T'ing this, but I would work hard to prevent it. Then I may issue a direct warning to the white team while in the paint.
Old Tue May 07, 2013, 07:28am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

The L says something to the girl as she walks through the key after the L picks up the ball. I'd bet twoonies to doughnuts* that it was about kicking the ball.

* doughnuts cost a dollar these days, so this phrase had to be amended
Old Tue May 07, 2013, 07:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I could see myself using the "go get the ball" tactic. When she pushed the ball with the foot, it's whack time.
I agree. The setting the ball down wasn't necessarily showing up the officials -- I saw it more with frustration and not in and of itself worthy of a T.

But using her feet to push the ball back ... that is showing up the official (after being warned) and I'm giving her a T right then.
Old Tue May 07, 2013, 05:35pm
Esteemed Forum Member

More On Knuckleheads ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I would definitely be keeping an eye of #32 for the rest of the game. She's one of those knuckleheads that we keep talking about here on the Forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
That's not the appropriate or professional manner to handle this. Never allow your judgment on decisions to be influenced by anything. That compromises the integrity of the game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I'm always going to keep a close eye on the knuckleheads in the game. These are the players (usually football players trying to stay in shape during the winter) who are always blurring the "lines in the sand. These are the players who, very often, are involved with intentional "hard" fouls, flagrant fouls, and verbal confrontations, as well as physical fights. It's in the best interest of the officials to keep an eye on these types of players. I'm not saying to "make up" any calls, but if they do something illegal, then, by all means, don't think about passing on it.
Remember this (below) from last year? This kid is the kind of knucklehead that's getting some extra attention from me in my game. I'm not going to make stuff up, but he's not getting a pass on anything illegal either.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue May 07, 2013, 05:52pm
Official Forum Member

It depends. If that's the first time I'm addressing her not a T. In fact I would have gone and picked up the ball and been clear to her that next time I won't be so nice. I also won't make a big deal of the whole thing.

Asking her to pick up the ball and her pushing it to you (I mean I don't see it as a kick) then T'ing her up, eh I don't know. If you felt so disrespected, T it when you first feel that (i.e. when she put the ball down).

Also I don't think she put the ball down with attitude, she just put it down. What do you do if a team calls a TO and the player with the ball does the same?

This seems like looking for trouble if this is the first time you are addressing this player and it's with a T here. I'm in the pool with Adam on how I would look at this play as far as the T.
Old Tue May 07, 2013, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

And I still disagree with what you are advocating.

In the case of the boys game from last year, some of the individual acts depicted in the video should have been penalized with either intentional or flagrant fouls, but the officials shouldn't have been looking for anything extra to assess to those players. That isn't within our job description. We are there to enforce the rules, not to selectively penalize certain individuals because we don't like something which they did previously.
Your entire method of thinking on this is flawed.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Wed May 08, 2013 at 10:46am.