The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 20, 2013, 10:12pm
AremRed

NBA mechanics

I watch a lot of NBA games, and I have not been able to figure out some of the NBA mechanics, specifically the switching. Sometimes only two guys switch, sometimes all three. It seems random. Can someone enlighten me?

Last edited by AremRed; Sun Apr 21, 2013 at 11:22pm. Reason: switching!
Old Sat Apr 20, 2013, 11:33pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
I watch a lot of NBA games, and I have not been able to figure out some of the NBA mechanics, specifically the rotations. Sometimes only two guys rotate, sometimes all three. It seems random. Can someone enlighten me?
High school games will look the same way in 3 person. It's based on who calls the foul and whether he will go opposite or table side.
Old Sun Apr 21, 2013, 07:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
I watch a lot of NBA games, and I have not been able to figure out some of the NBA mechanics, specifically the rotations. Sometimes only two guys rotate, sometimes all three. It seems random. Can someone enlighten me?
NBA mechanics are quite different than NCAA or NFHS mechanics. It is not random.

This is a simple summary. Generally when there is a shooting foul, the calling official will become the new trail table side and the two others will switch positions. If it is a non shooting foul, the calling official will become the new trail and put the ball in play (on the side of the floor closest to the foul). The two others switch. On offensive fouls and fouls in the backcourt, the officials slide which means that they do not switch but slide up the floor in the same spots. There are many other parts to it but hopefully this will help a bit.

Last edited by Jay R; Sun Apr 21, 2013 at 07:07am.
Old Sun Apr 21, 2013, 07:36am
Official Forum Member

Jay R has it right...in the front court, the calling official will always become the trail. The other two officials will become a new position (as in lead will be the slot, old trail will move to lead, etc.)

So for example:

Lead opposite calls a shooting foul...Lead will go to table side and become a new trail, slot (center) will move to lead, and the old trail will move down to the slot.

Same play but non-shooting foul:

Lead will report and go to trail opposite table...old trail will move to slot position tableside and the old slot will become the lead opposable
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Apr 21, 2013, 02:34pm
Do not give a damn!!

Are we speaking about dead ball movement (which is called switching) or live ball movement which is actually considered a rotation. During live ball situations all officials can move for all kinds of reasons.

Peace
Old Sun Apr 21, 2013, 11:22pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Are we speaking about dead ball movement (which is called switching) or live ball movement which is actually considered a rotation.
Yes, dead ball switching. My bad.