The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 16, 2013, 01:06am
Official Forum Member

Inadvertent Whistle?

On one of those awful multi-purpose courts that is marked for every sport imaginable...

A1 is dribbling backwards and steps on a line near the division line that the T mistakes as actually being the division line. T blows his whistle, mechanically signals backcourt and verbalizes "Backco..." at which point he realizes his mistake and looks at L with a deer in the headlights look. They talk it over and T comes out, calls an inadvertent whistle and gives the ball back to A at the POI.

B coach goes crazy. "I officiated for X years, you can't do that!" Coach's rationale was that the mechanic had been given and official had begun verbalizing backcourt.

I know it is not a CE, but is an inadvertent whistle allowed here? Admittedly, I am rather weak in this area.
Old Tue Apr 16, 2013, 01:09am
We don't rent pigs

Sure it's allowed. Mechanics are a means of communication. By rule the mechanic itself means nothing.

I can't think of any place where the rule book states that a signal commits one to a call.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Apr 16, 2013, 01:11am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekent View Post
I know it is not a CE, but is an inadvertent whistle allowed here? Admittedly, I am rather weak in this area.
Absolutely. "Coach, be quiet. Inadvertent whistle, ball OOB right here". The faster you resume play the better. Don't listen to the coach, just correct the mistake and move on.
Old Tue Apr 16, 2013, 01:15am
Official Forum Member

I thought it was rather absurd, but at what point there can the official realize he screwed up? Anytime before the completion of the throw-in by B that would have resulted from the backcourt call (or in more general terms, before the ball becomes live again)?
Old Tue Apr 16, 2013, 01:19am
AremRed

Quote:
I thought it was rather absurd, but at what point there can the official realize he screwed up? Anytime before the completion of the throw-in by B that would have resulted from the backcourt call (or in more general terms, before the ball becomes live again)?
If he screws up he will either know immediately like in your original story, or he will realize it once the coach who the call is going against colorfully reminds him.
Old Tue Apr 16, 2013, 01:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
If he screws up he will either know immediately like in your original story, or he will realize it once the coach who the call is going against colorfully reminds him.
Coach apparently had checked out for a few moments and didn't say a word. The player stopped, looked down and pointed at his feet, but wasn't sure what to do because he didn't want to get T'd. (very fast trigger official).

Luckily I wasn't on-court for this one, just watching. I keep waiting for my brilliant screwup like this one (hopefully not worse)...
Old Tue Apr 16, 2013, 01:27am
AremRed

Quote:
I keep waiting for my brilliant screwup like this one (hopefully not worse)...
My brilliant screwup happened a few months ago. I was T, tableside, team A has the ball, coach B says "timeout". I didn't check who was calling the timeout, just blew my whistle. I swear coach B was trying to trick me because he knew I was a green official. Coach A went beserk, yelling "he can't do that!!!" I knew the rule was I had to administer the timeout once I granted it so I had to deal with it. Embarrassing to say the least. If that happens again, I will just yell "inadvertent whistle, ball OOB" and try to get the ball back into play before anyone realizes.
Old Tue Apr 16, 2013, 01:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If that happens again, I will just yell "inadvertent whistle, ball OOB" and try to get the ball back into play before anyone realizes.
Although at that point the ball is dead anyway and B coach can still call his timeout so you will likely have to listen to it from A coach regardless.
Old Tue Apr 16, 2013, 01:36am
AremRed

Quote:
Although at that point the ball is dead anyway and B coach can still call his timeout so you will likely have to listen to it from A coach regardless.
Correct. I am more vigilant now
Old Tue Apr 16, 2013, 02:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If that happens again, I will just yell "inadvertent whistle, ball OOB" and try to get the ball back into play before anyone realizes.
Are you advocating not following what you know to be the proper ruling in a situation simply to save yourself some embarrassment? I can't condone that.
Old Tue Apr 16, 2013, 02:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Sure it's allowed. Mechanics are a means of communication. By rule the mechanic itself means nothing.

I can't think of any place where the rule book states that a signal commits one to a call.
I can think of one!
Bad Woody, bad, bad. (Channeling my inner JR in his memory.)
Old Tue Apr 16, 2013, 03:03am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I can think of one!
no you can't

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Apr 16, 2013, 06:15am
Esteemed Forum Member

Is It The Infamous Blarge ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I can think of one!
4.19.8 SITUATION C: A1 drives for a try and jumps and releases the ball.
Contact occurs between A1 and B1 after the release and before airborne shooter
A1 returns one foot to the floor. One official calls a blocking foul on B1 and the
other official calls a charging foul on A1. The try is (a) successful, or (b) not successful.
RULING: Even though airborne shooter A1 committed a charging foul, it
is not a player-control foul because the two fouls result in a double personal foul.
The double foul does not cause the ball to become dead on the try. In (a), the goal
is scored; play is resumed at the point of interruption, which is a throw-in for
Team B from anywhere along the end line. In (b), the point of interruption is a try
in flight; therefore the alternating-possession procedure is used. (4-36)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Apr 16, 2013, 06:55am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
....B coach goes crazy. "I officiated for X years, you can't do that!" Coach's rationale was that the mechanic had been given and official had begun verbalizing backcourt.

That coach was not an official any amount of years if he's trying to pass along that line of bulls**t.
Old Tue Apr 16, 2013, 07:07am
Official Forum Member

This makes me wonder how certain violations can be changed after signaled, but others can't.

It is generally accepted that a mistake (official blows whistle using the wrong line) can be taken back as an inadvertant whistle.

An official can reverse an out of bounds violation call (based on information from his/her partner).

Can an official reverse a travel or double dribble call ... I've never seen it done. Say the Trail is in the back court on a fast break and calls what appears from his view to be a double dribble. The Center/Lead who is in front of the play has a better view is 100% certain (perhaps along with the coaches) that the play was not a double dribble. Can the Center/Lead approach his/her partner and offer information that would allow them to change the call?

And are there any fouls where the call can be changed after the fact? I know you can upgrade to a Intentional/Flagrant after discussing with partners, but I can't think of any situation where you could reverse a foul call to a no call based on additional information.