The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 01:50pm
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUgrad92 View Post

I'm looking through the books, can't find what I'm looking for, but I know somewhere I've read that the honous is on the offenvise player to avoid contact. Maybe older wording, but I think fits this specific play perfectly....

Let us know if you find "honous" in any book you have from the bible to the rule book and possibly the dictionary
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to IUgrad92
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
So when a shooter fades away or jumps at an angle, that is not a foul when contact occurs because they normally jump in another direction? I guess by that logic we should never call a foul on a jump shooter that tries to make a lay up based on normality of the player involved.

Peace
You can give general situations all day. I can only comment on specific plays, like this one. Each play is different and unique coach....

On this play I am applying the incidental contact rule based on what is normal offensive movement of a shooter in W11's position.
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 01:51pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
So normal offensive movement is anything the shooter chooses to do? I disagree. That logic removes the necessity of putting 'normal offensive movement' in the rule book then, because nothing is abnormal. Sorry, a shooter jumping sideways towards a defender to shoot the ball is abnormal. If anything, wouldn't common sense say that if he's going to jump sideways, he would have jumped the other way, away from the defender?

I'm looking through the books, can't find what I'm looking for, but I know somewhere I've read that the honous is on the offenvise player to avoid contact. Maybe older wording, but I think fits this specific play perfectly....
Well that reference only applies to incidental contact. You also cannot forget what is legal for a defender to do either in the rulebook. And when contact occurs and the defender is not legal, they are responsible. That is why the rules talks about what is legal for the defender to do and when.

Peace
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
Let us know if you find "honous" in any book you have from the bible to the rule book and possibly the dictionary
It's on the same page as "tummy" and "crouch".
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 01:53pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
You can give general situations all day. I can only comment on specific plays, like this one. Each play is different and unique coach....

On this play I am applying the incidental contact rule based on what is normal offensive movement of a shooter in W11's position.
I only gave those examples because you are using "normal" as if we have to judge what is normal based on how they jump or shoot. That sounds like an irrelevant point to me.

Peace
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
Damn, thought I'd gotten away from my grammar teacher... I fixed it Mrs. Belcher....
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 01:56pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
W11 leans left into the defender before starting shooting motion. That was NOT normal offensive movement by W11, thus 4-27-3 applies. W11 could have easily gone straight vertical, as he did for every other shot he took in this game, and there would not have been any contact made by the defender.
So I will post again:
So instead of jumping what if the offensive player took one dribble over to that spot and the defensive player landed on him? Would you still not want a foul called?

If the defensive player stays vertical he doesn't have to worry about a foul call.
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I only gave those examples because you are using "normal" as if we have to judge what is normal based on how they jump or shoot. That sounds like an irrelevant point to me.

Peace
I am only using 'normal' because the rule books uses 'normal'. No other reason...
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 01:59pm
beware big brother

Quote:
Damn, thought I'd gotten away from my grammar teacher... I fixed it Mrs. Belcher....
Apparently the academic standards at IU aren't what they once were
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 02:02pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I am only using 'normal' because the rule books uses 'normal'. No other reason...
The book talks about normal movement being changed because of contact. It does not say that the movement before the contact has to be "normal." The rule talks about movement when contact occurs. This is why your reference does not wash with me and others. There is nothing in the rules that says that a player cannot fake and move to allow himself to be contacted. If it did I am sure there would be a case play or A.R to justify your point of view. And the NCAA would have also used video to illustrate that point as well considering these kinds of fouls are called often.

Peace
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 02:02pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by #olderthanilook View Post
Sucked in his gut...curved his spine to make an inverted C.....I don't know how he did it, but the camera angles provided doesn't show any contact. Only results that lead the majority to think there must have been contact.
Unfortunately there's no angle from either endline to examine. From the angle above you can't tell if there is or isn't contact.
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by #olderthanilook View Post
I hold myself to the following standard: Work your arse off to be in position to make calls (move to improve), BUT, never call what can't be seen (aka make shit up aka guessing/ASSuming).

If I can't tell a partner, assignor or a coach what I had - I'm not blowing my whisle.
Then why are you guessing on this one?
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
So I will post again:
So instead of jumping what if the offensive player took one dribble over to that spot and the defensive player landed on him? Would you still not want a foul called?

If the defensive player stays vertical he doesn't have to worry about a foul call.
So are we only protecting an offensive player who's in the air, allowing him to land, without someone stepping underneath him?

Not me, that philosophy applies to both an offensive and a defensive player.
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 02:04pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
...I'm looking through the books, can't find what I'm looking for, but I know somewhere I've read that the onus is on the offenvise player to avoid contact. Maybe older wording, but I think fits this specific play perfectly....
The only rule remotely close to what you are talking about is when there is less than 3ft between the defender and the side/end line and the offensive player tries to squeeze through. Definitely has nothing to do with this play. Rule 4-7

Last edited by Raymond; Tue Apr 09, 2013 at 02:12pm.
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So are we only protecting an offensive player who's in the air, allowing him to land, without someone stepping underneath him?

Not me, that philosophy applies to both an offensive and a defensive player.
So you think that if a defender gets in the air first, they get the right to land?

Lets say you have a shooter driving from the top of the key and you have a defender rotating from the corner. The defender, while running to get in front of the shooter jumps. Then the shooter continues and jumps (maybe even stepping to the side to get a better angle, but could have easily pulled up for a mid-range jumper too). The two collide. Do you think the defender is legal because they got in the air first? Seems like that is what you're claiming. And you would be correct if the shooter was guarding the defender or setting a screen on the defender, but that isn't what is happening.