Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to IUgrad92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
The defender when they jumped across the path of the shooter. Good foul call. I'll call that every time.
What exactly is 'the path' of a shooter? Assuming that is different from the path of a dribbler.....
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
Defense doesn't want a foul called on him, close out better and jump straight up and down.
Or better yet, avoid any physical contact. Which, it appears, he did avoid doing.
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUgrad92 View Post
W11 leans left into the defender before starting shooting motion. That was NOT normal offensive movement by W11, thus 4-27-3 applies. W11 could have easily gone straight vertical, as he did for every other shot he took in this game, and there would not have been any contact made by the defender.
The shooter gets to chose how they shoot the ball. The defense has to defend it legally. If the shooter wants to trap the defender in a bad position, the defender has to be smart enough to avoid it.
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by #olderthanilook View Post
Or better yet, avoid any physical contact. Which, it appears, he did avoid doing.
How did he change directions in mid-air then? Was there a big gust of wind? Or was it from the contact with the shooter?
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUgrad92 View Post
What exactly is 'the path' of a shooter? Assuming that is different from the path of a dribbler.....
It is whichever way he wants to go where a defender has not legally obtained a position.
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well you're going to be alone or in the minority in thinking that...definitely contact there IMO.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
How did he change directions in mid-air then? Was there a big gust of wind? Or was it from the contact with the shooter?
Sucked in his gut...curved his spine to make an inverted C.....I don't know how he did it, but the camera angles provided doesn't show any contact. Only results that lead the majority to think there must have been contact.
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Sucked in his gut...curved his spine to make an inverted C.....I don't know how he did it, but the camera angles provided doesn't show any contact. Only results that lead the majority to think there must have been contact.
Sometimes, you don't get the camera angle you need and you have to go by the symptoms...and all the symptoms of contact were there. His path was one that would create contact. The defender's body reacted at exactly the right time as if there were contact. The shooter's body also display a reaction at the same time that was consistent with contact. All that says trust the official who has a better angle than the TV camera.
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 01:32pm
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
Weak call, again from trail who has no angle and is straightlined.
This is the trails call to make all the way. Maybe he was straightlined, maybe he had a better look than you think. Either way, the defender was not in a legal position when contact occurred with jump shooter. This has to be a foul every time.
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If there was literally no contact like you're trying to say, you would see the defender have a much different reaction than what he showed.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 01:36pm
Do not give a damn!!

For the record there was another play where a Michigan player (I believe Robinson) did a fake and a UL player landed on Robinson after the fake. The difference is Robinson did not continue to shoot and dribbled to where he would get contact. The only difference was this play was earlier in the game (based on the thread title) and it involved a shooter. Both players IMO were properly called a foul on the defender for committing and not being an LGP when contact occurred.

Peace
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It is whichever way he wants to go where a defender has not legally obtained a position.
So normal offensive movement is anything the shooter chooses to do? I disagree. That logic removes the necessity of putting 'normal offensive movement' in the rule book then, because nothing is abnormal. Sorry, a shooter jumping sideways towards a defender to shoot the ball is abnormal. If anything, wouldn't common sense say that if he's going to jump sideways, he would have jumped the other way, away from the defender?

I'm looking through the books, can't find what I'm looking for, but I know somewhere I've read that the onus is on the offenvise player to avoid contact. Maybe older wording, but I think fits this specific play perfectly....

Last edited by IUgrad92; Tue Apr 09, 2013 at 01:53pm. Reason: spelling
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If there was literally no contact like you're trying to say, you would see the defender have a much different reaction than what he showed.
The defender showed no reaction other than stand there..... Now the UM coach and bench personnel, they had a reaction... looks kinda like a 'are you kidding me?' type reaction.
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Sometimes, you don't get the camera angle you need and you have to go by the symptoms...and all the symptoms of contact were there. His path was one that would create contact. The defender's body reacted at exactly the right time as if there were contact. The shooter's body also display a reaction at the same time that was consistent with contact. All that says trust the official who has a better angle than the TV camera.
I hold myself to the following standard: Work your arse off to be in position to make calls (move to improve), BUT, never call what can't be seen (aka make shit up aka guessing/ASSuming).

If I can't tell a partner, assignor or a coach what I had - I'm not blowing my whisle.
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Wait a minute, now. I didn't say there wasn't any contact.