The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 10, 2013, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

Ok, I can accept being in the minority opinion on the T...after a multiple defender, dual area, RA vicinity, pass-crash play like this, I know I wouldn't have the awareness to say with certainty what her intent was.

But, when the Louisville or CAL coach asks what she did to earn the T, you say what?

"In my opinion she intended to kick her"?

Then CAL coach asks, isn't that 'fighting' by rule?

Now what?
Old Wed Apr 10, 2013, 04:08pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizanno View Post
Ok, I can accept being in the minority opinion on the T...after a multiple defender, dual area, RA vicinity, pass-crash play like this, I know I wouldn't have the awareness to say with certainty what her intent was.

But, when the Louisville or CAL coach asks what she did to earn the T, you say what?

"In my opinion she intended to kick her"?

Then CAL coach asks, isn't that 'fighting' by rule?

Now what?
"If she would have connected or a skirmish ensued we would get her for fighting, but since neither happened we're only getting her for an unsporting T"
Old Wed Apr 10, 2013, 04:11pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
"If she would have connected or a skirmish ensued we would get her for fighting, but since neither happened we're only getting her for an unsporting T"
yep, pretty simple, actually, since most coaches aren't going to ask for that. The ones that do know the answer ahead of time anyway, they're just trying to see what they can get away with.
Old Wed Apr 10, 2013, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
"If she would have connected or a skirmish ensued we would get her for fighting..."
4-26 Art. 2. A fight is a confrontation involving one or more players, coaches or other team personnel wherein (but not limited to) a fist, hand, arm, foot, knee or leg is used to combatively strike the other individual.

Art. 3. When during a confrontation, an individual attempts to strike another individual with any of the actions defined in Art. 2, whether there is contact is irrelevant. The perpetrator shall be deemed to have been involved in a fight.

Quote:
"...but since neither happened we're only getting her for an unsporting T"
This is the part I especially like. I don't think we consider the option of unsporting T (whether there was contact or not) often enough. Not all contact is a foul, even during deal ball.
Old Wed Apr 10, 2013, 05:21pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizanno View Post
4-26 Art. 2. A fight is a confrontation involving one or more players, coaches or other team personnel wherein (but not limited to) a fist, hand, arm, foot, knee or leg is used to combatively strike the other individual.

Art. 3. When during a confrontation, an individual attempts to strike another individual with any of the actions defined in Art. 2, whether there is contact is irrelevant. The perpetrator shall be deemed to have been involved in a fight.

This is the part I especially like. I don't think we consider the option of unsporting T (whether there was contact or not) often enough. Not all contact is a foul, even during deal ball.
There really isn't a confrontation here. Had that kick landed, there probably would have been a confrontation, and then the fighting stuff would kick in. In this case - as others have said - we should have had a PC followed by a T.
Old Wed Apr 10, 2013, 07:20pm
Official Forum Member

It is sort of like the difference between shoving and punching. They're done with very different levels of intensity even if they're with the same part of the body.
Old Wed Apr 10, 2013, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

She did not slide over when dribbler was in the air. Thats clear. Easy call. Charge it