The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 02, 2013, 04:13pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
Maybe not "damaged", but you can bet EVERY coach from D1 down to U10 AAU is going to think "Those guys have it in for me" (just like they did for the Arizona coach) every time he/she gets rung up for acting like a jacka$$.
I attend a camp every single year that is a college camp for D2 and every year with college officials there are coaches thrown out of a game at an AAU tournament. And the coaches often do not know they are dealing with experienced officials and do not realize we are all not from the same place. So what else is new?

Quote:
In some sense, this is worse than the Donaghy saga because he was involved with organized crime and betting...two concepts that were pretty unlikely and far removed from a high school game. "Targeting" a coach for inappropriate behavior is a concept that almost every HS coach can own and relate to. Next season should be interesting.
This will not even last until the summer in media coverage.

Peace
Old Tue Apr 02, 2013, 04:14pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

If coaches think we hold grudges, you'd think they'd behave themselves better.
Old Tue Apr 02, 2013, 04:24pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
If coaches think we hold grudges, you'd think they'd behave themselves better.
Yep. You do not have to worry about a grudge when you behave professionally and sportsmanlike.

Peace
Old Tue Apr 02, 2013, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
if it doesn't have to do with tobacco, taunting, or profanity...we're pretty much on our own to define it.
Nevermind that they also don't define "profanity" and everyone's line there differs as well.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Apr 02, 2013, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Yep. You do not have to worry about a grudge when you behave professionally and sportsmanlike.

Peace
Not really. That's sort of the point of a grudge. A coach could slap his hands together after a whistle because his player did something stupid. The official thinks he's smacking his hands because he didn't like the call. If they have a grudge, they are giving the T.
Unless you propose coaches just sit there and have no reaction to plays from their team......
Old Tue Apr 02, 2013, 04:52pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judtech View Post
Not really. That's sort of the point of a grudge. A coach could slap his hands together after a whistle because his player did something stupid. The official thinks he's smacking his hands because he didn't like the call. If they have a grudge, they are giving the T.
Unless you propose coaches just sit there and have no reaction to plays from their team......

If a coach sits and is very respectful, does not yell or asks reasonable questions every game, then it would be hard for me or anyone to develop an grudge against you in the first place. I know several coaches that are like that and when they do question a call, they are like EF Hutton when they speak.

And some people would feel that doing what you described as over the top and should be T'd in the first place. Again, you do not have to worry about it if you act appropriately. I see too many coaches that hardly say a word to officials good or bad and no one seems to have a grudge or even mentions them as a problem.

Peace
Old Tue Apr 02, 2013, 04:54pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Do coaches really think grudges come from something like this? I find that hard to believe.
Old Tue Apr 02, 2013, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

Honestly, I wonder why it's acceptable for coaches to yell at (kick dirt on, etc) referees at all. Does it EVER get a call changed? HELL no. Does it possibly make things WORSE for the coach in the long run? Probably. Seems a rather pointless activity to me, and one that all sports would benefit from getting out of the game.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Apr 02, 2013, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Do coaches really think grudges come from something like this? I find that hard to believe.
Probably not. But what may be appropriate to one may not be appropriate to others. Officials are people, and some have lower threshholds then others.
Old Tue Apr 02, 2013, 05:12pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Probably not. But what may be appropriate to one may not be appropriate to others. Officials are people, and some have lower threshholds then others.
For a T, certainly. And this might be why some coaches think there's a grudge, if I call a T for less than he got away with last week with another official.

My point is, if coaches really thought we held grudges, they should behave as if we might. They don't, so I don't think they really think that. I think they know better, and would rather say the ref had a grudge than admit he'd been getting away with poor sportsmanship until he ran into the official ready to take care of it.
Old Tue Apr 02, 2013, 05:27pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
For a T, certainly. And this might be why some coaches think there's a grudge, if I call a T for less than he got away with last week with another official.

My point is, if coaches really thought we held grudges, they should behave as if we might. They don't, so I don't think they really think that. I think they know better, and would rather say the ref had a grudge than admit he'd been getting away with poor sportsmanship until he ran into the official ready to take care of it.
I have had coaches that act just like that, tell partners I do not like them (usually a bad coach of a bad team), then get every call from me the next time. So I love it when coaches actually think I care about them. Most of them will not be around long enough or at best I will get them when they have no control I will show up, like post season or a tournament.

Peace
Old Tue Apr 02, 2013, 05:46pm
Courageous When Prudent

This reminds me of a thread we had a while ago where we discussed professionalism by officials and professionalism by coaches.

One poster said as officials we always have to be aware of what we say b/c it can come back to bite us in the a$$. He said we have to watch what we say even when we're in the locker room b/c you never know who is on the other side of the door. Another poster derided his position as ridiculous and nothing ever said in that kind of environment would ever have any repercussions.

Well guess that poster wasn't so ridiculous after all.

Last edited by Raymond; Tue Apr 02, 2013 at 06:21pm.
Old Tue Apr 02, 2013, 07:12pm
Official Forum Member

No problem with what Ed Rush said. Now did the official who called the T get the money or trip? I would take the money. I hope he did. Its no difference than other officials at the half talking about certain plays and to watch out for certain players who may be too aggressive etc. So they just T Sean Miller when it was appropriate. Much to do about nothing.
Old Tue Apr 02, 2013, 07:39pm
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroonx View Post
No problem with what Ed Rush said. Now did the official who called the T get the money or trip? I would take the money. I hope he did. Its no difference than other officials at the half talking about certain plays and to watch out for certain players who may be too aggressive etc. So they just T Sean Miller when it was appropriate. Much to do about nothing.
Interesting. I completely disagree with every statement in this post. Are you actually an official? Or did you just post this nonsense to see the reaction?
Old Tue Apr 02, 2013, 07:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroonx View Post

You are kidding right?

There is a big difference between saying, "this coach has done things that should have been T'd up this season" and "the first guy to T him gets a trip to Hawaii." C'mon man!