Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 02, 2013, 12:39pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebraman View Post
This is going to be fun to watch.
I will use the term "interesting," vice "fun" for how I will watch in unfold. I will take no pleasure in it, regardless of how it turns out. Makes me answer more questions at work......hey, what do you think of.........

Last edited by grunewar; Tue Apr 02, 2013 at 12:41pm.
Old Tue Apr 02, 2013, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Let us not go on about what the public thinks. Many of the public felt the NFL had no right to penalize the Saints for their actions either. I put little stock in what the public thinks on an issue where they never have direct knowledge of how a profession works.

Peace
Unfortunately, public perception IS what matters. If the public is aware of this, and it is being discussed nationally, it hurts the credibility of not only PAC 12 officials, but officials in general. The correlation is similar to the Donaughy betting scandal. The NBA sought to distance itself as far as possible from it. If the public believes that officials are being directed to target individuals that is their reality. If they think officials are affecting the games, they will stop going.

Rush planted a seed that Miller should get a TF. The reward was probably the only thing that might have been a joke. In the end, Miller got a TF, he predisposed the officials (put a hair trigger on the game) about a specific individual.

Of course had this information not been "leaked" we would not even know about it.
Old Tue Apr 02, 2013, 12:49pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
...What pisses me off is that the "integrity of the officials" is being called into question. We get Sean Miller on TV saying "All I said was "He touched the ball" and I get a T for that..." We don't get to hear the officials side of the story and we won't ever get to.
Miller's T was an irrelevant news story until Rush's comments came out. It's Rush's fault if Pac-12 officials take an intergrity hit.
Old Tue Apr 02, 2013, 12:56pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallfouls View Post
Unfortunately, public perception IS what matters. If the public is aware of this, and it is being discussed nationally, it hurts the credibility of not only PAC 12 officials, but officials in general. The correlation is similar to the Donaughy betting scandal. The NBA sought to distance itself as far as possible from it. If the public believes that officials are being directed to target individuals that is their reality. If they think officials are affecting the games, they will stop going.

Rush planted a seed that Miller should get a TF. The reward was probably the only thing that might have been a joke. In the end, Miller got a TF, he predisposed the officials (put a hair trigger on the game) about a specific individual.

Of course had this information not been "leaked" we would not even know about it.
It matters to a point. It is not the end all be all of anything.

So you have never been told by anyone that a specific behavior is to be penalized? Better yet you have never heard a coach or specific situation described as something that needs to be addressed?

You never in a pre-game talked about the antics of the coaches or a specific coach as it relates to the game in question?

Peace
Old Tue Apr 02, 2013, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Miller's T was an irrelevant news story until Rush's comments came out. It's Rush's fault if Pac-12 officials take an intergrity hit.
My point was that we will never know the whole story of why the T was issued. All we have is Miller's comments about what he said....we don't know what he may have left out or what he did or said that earned the T.

This story comes out and now he can play the "they're out to get me" card, when the T may have been rightly deserved.

If this official was one that didn't routinely issue T's, doesn't that make it seem like this T was earned? That's my take and I will support the officials.
Old Tue Apr 02, 2013, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
My point was that we will never know the whole story of why the T was issued. All we have is Miller's comments about what he said....we don't know what he may have left out or what he did or said that earned the T.

This story comes out and now he can play the "they're out to get me" card, when the T may have been rightly deserved.

If this official was one that didn't routinely issue T's, doesn't that make it seem like this T was earned? That's my take and I will support the officials.
Ill support the official too.
Old Tue Apr 02, 2013, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

It doesn't surprise me that the majority here support the official or even Rush.

What does surprise me is the lack of understanding that our profession has taken a hit over this. THAT is what is wrong with what Rush said.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Apr 02, 2013, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I think that speaks to BNR's point. Rush's comments make it seem just as likely that the official was compelled to give the T against Miller and it may not have been earned.

I don't really have an issue with Rush's comments in and of themselves but in this day and age you just can't make those comments at a meeting like that with so many ears. And it really does compromise the integrity of the officials in many people's views and, like it or not, that has some consequences. At the end of the day, I don't think Rush will, or necessarily, should survive this.

But the real issue I have is with whatever official leaked what was said in the meeting. As others mentioned it sounds like someone wasn't happy with their schedule or had some other axe to grind. But the comments were made and now that they're out there.......I don't know. I think they will end up costing Rush his job here. It's unfortunate but that's how it goes some times.
Old Tue Apr 02, 2013, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

When one of the top 3 officials in the conference quits citing "personal differences with the direction of the officiating program in the Pac-12" prior to this incident going public, and anonymous sources spilling the beans to the media regarding Rush being a "bully", the organization is in big trouble not from just public perception, but from within as well. Rush tried to change the culture too quickly, and with his general lack of people skills, screwed himself. If an official made that comment? They'd be gone. Even worse from a supervisor. Integrity and character is defined by what you do when nobody is looking. Well, a disgruntled person pulled the curtain back on Ed Rush. So be it.
Old Tue Apr 02, 2013, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Damage Control

Email from Rush's son, Ed, Jr.:

Here at the Court Club, we have received several messages in regard to the recent news stories surrounding (and in support of) Ed T. Rush Sr.

In an effort to clear the air ... and to be open with our members, I thought it would be appropriate to address you directly to dispel any rumors and clear any doubt.

Here is the official report from Pac-12 conference commissioner Larry Scott,

"I can confirm that following the Pac-12 Men's Basketball Tournament, we received a complaint that Pac-12 Coordinator of Officials Ed Rush offered game officials inappropriate incentives for being stricter with Pac-12 coaches," Commissioner Scott said on Monday.

"I consider the integrity of our officiating program to be of the highest importance and immediately ordered a review of the matter. Based on the review, we have concluded that while Rush made inappropriate comments that he now regrets during internal meetings that referenced rewards, he made the comments in jest and the officials in the room realized they were not serious offers. Following our review, we have discussed the matter with Rush, taken steps to ensure it does not happen again, and communicated our findings to all of our officials."

You can read the entire post on the PAC-12 website:
Pac-12 commissioner responds to officiating complaint > Pac-12 Conference > Basketball (M)

In other words, the comments were not intended to be serious. Nor were they taken as serious. The Pac-12 did not take them as serious. And nor should you.

In retrospect, having to do it over again, would Ed Rush Sr. have made those comments?

Of course not.

But then again as officials, we all make hundreds of comments a year in the locker room, which are never intended for the ear of the public media.

All I recommend is to keep a clear mind, think independently, and perhaps even place yourself in the situation.

Last, you should always remember that officials are together on everything that happens in the public eye. A bad call or a mis-spoken word can often bring a level of undeserved of discredit to the officiating community at large. These are things you will hear from the sidelines and from the stands.

How you react this situation will be your decision...and I am confident that you will let integrity be your guide.

As such, I encourage you to be in support of your fellow colleagues and to be circumspect when thinking through allegations from the nameless and anonymous.

Best,
Ed Rush Jr.

P.S. This letter was written by Ed Rush Jr, not Ed Rush Sr.
It was my initiative and was written by me alone. So, if
anyone other than a Court Club member is reading this (i.e.
anyone from the media), you do not have my permission to use
this article, nor to mistakenly quote Ed Rush Sr. from of this article.
We have the same name, but mine ends in "Jr." so be sure to
get that straight.

P.P.S. To our many Court Club members who have responded
with phone calls, letters, and texts of support, I offer my
sincerest thanks. You are why we do what we do...and I
appreciate you all more than you know.
Old Tue Apr 02, 2013, 01:34pm
beware big brother

Officiating basketball is not a profession for most, if not all, of the posters here. Since we do not make a living doing this it is an avocation. More importantly, this incident will have little to no impact on any of us as officials. The people in the stands already have their minds made up about the overall quality and integrity of officials before they walk into the gym. The people (fans, coaches, adminstrators, and players) involved in the game that are going to be problems to deal were going to be jackasses whether or not this incident ever came to light.
Old Tue Apr 02, 2013, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
It doesn't surprise me that the majority here support the official or even Rush.

What does surprise me is the lack of understanding that our profession has taken a hit over this. THAT is what is wrong with what Rush said.
My point exactly
Old Tue Apr 02, 2013, 01:40pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post

I do not think supporting the officials or not is the point. I just know in experience I have had that things are said behind closed doors and the public would be surprised if they heard those comments.

I also do not think the profession has not taken any more of a hit than anything else. Just go to a fan site and you would see a lot worse said about official for things that are assumed and never public when it comes to an accusation of a conspiracy. There are people in this world that will think everyone is out to get them or has some conspiracy going on and it will involve politicians, the media or officials. I do not think anything has been damaged by this anymore than other things.

Peace
Old Tue Apr 02, 2013, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

VaTerp, are you a Court Club member?

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Apr 02, 2013, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Whatever your opinion on this, I think we ALL can agree that Ed Rush forgot the three forms of communication:

1) Telephone
2) Telefax
3) Tell-a-ref