The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 29, 2013, 02:49pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

On #1, the point at which you'd call a shooting foul is the point where he gathers the ball. It's hard to tell whether his left is still on the floor, or whether it's just barely off the floor. If I can't tell, I'm not calling it.
Old Fri Mar 29, 2013, 03:34pm
We don't rent pigs

I was the one that remarked on the distance covered. Of course no one would make the call based on that alone, but it is further evidence. Not saying it can't be done, but somebody show video of a layup, in traffic, where the last dribble was right at the 3 point arc.

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Mar 29, 2013, 03:42pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
I was the one that remarked on the distance covered. Of course no one would make the call based on that alone, but it is further evidence. Not saying it can't be done, but somebody show video of a layup, in traffic, where the last dribble was right at the 3 point arc.
That is one of the worst judges of a travel or even evidence as anything. A tall player that is well over 6 feet tall can cover a lot of distance in a couple of steps and moving at full speed. Either you judge which one is the pivot foot or you don't. But how far someone moves is very silly. Because I would think a college player can cover more distance than a JH player doing the same move. Sorry, but that part of this discussion is lame. If you want to debate when he gathered the ball and which one is the pivot foot then OK, that part at least has merit.

Peace
Old Fri Mar 29, 2013, 03:48pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
That is one of the worst judges of a travel or even evidence as anything. A tall player that is well over 6 feet tall can cover a lot of distance in a couple of steps and moving at full speed.
That's the whole point he covered a lot of distance. But when the pivot is at the top of the key, a couple of steps is a travel.

Seriously, this thread seals the deal for me.

He hadn't/may not have finished "gathering" the ball. This, it seems, translates to "do not call a travel."

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Mar 29, 2013, 03:54pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
That's the whole point he covered a lot of distance. But when the pivot is at the top of the key, a couple of steps is a travel.

Seriously, this thread seals the deal for me.

He hadn't/may not have finished "gathering" the ball. This, it seems, translates to "do not call a travel."
No, the rules are clear what a player does to stop a dribble. It does say it must come to rest in that one hand or both hands must touch the ball. He did not have both hands come to the ball and it does not appear the ball came to rest in that one hand when the foot you claim was when that point took place. I am just saying that is awful quick to make that determination and in the "real world" with athletes this big and fast, you better be sure. And it is totally in doubt when the dribble actually stopped.

Peace
Old Fri Mar 29, 2013, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I have never used distanced cover and never heard anyone use that as any criteria. And it think it's an even sillier piece of evidence to use when you consider even the caliber of athletes in some high school games.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Mar 29, 2013, 04:08pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
I have never used distanced cover and never heard anyone use that as any criteria. And it think it's an even sillier piece of evidence to use when you consider even the caliber of athletes in some high school games.
I have never used it to make the call either, but physics plays a part in most things. Show me a video and I may say, "Gee, you're right. That's easier than I thought."

But the play at hand is still a travel.

Period

Anybody that can look at this is slow motion and argue it? I don't get it.

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Mar 29, 2013, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

#1 the problem with the travel on the finishing steps is is going to come down to determination of when the player gathered. I actually think there may be a travel on the inital take of as he appears to jump with both feet and reach out with the ball but not actually push in to the floor until he's left the floor and is moving past defense.

#2 Probably a shuffle in there but hard to see at speed and as a transitioning official.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Fri Mar 29, 2013, 04:15pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
No, the rules are clear what a player does to stop a dribble. It does say it must come to rest in that one hand or both hands must touch the ball. He did not have both hands come to the ball and it does not appear the ball came to rest in that one hand when the foot you claim was when that point took place. I am just saying that is awful quick to make that determination and in the "real world" with athletes this big and fast, you better be sure. And it is totally in doubt when the dribble actually stopped.

Peace
1. It had come to rest in one hand while the left foot was still flat on the floor.

2. He had both hands on the ball before the right foot ever passed the free throw line. The pivot was still very firmly on the floor.

3. I gotta back the announcers. This was a pretty easy call in real time.

Yes, one will fool you on occasion, but on this one the video proves the violation. But, that's fine. This is what the powers that be want "at this level" apparently. When in doubt, no call, and you can doubt anything.

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Mar 29, 2013, 04:27pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Tough Call, Either Way ...

Play #1: I think that the right foot is the pivot foot, and, thus, no travel.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Mar 29, 2013, 05:17pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
1. It had come to rest in one hand while the left foot was still flat on the floor.
+1. The ball is in his right hand, dribble stopped, with his left foot on the floor.

Last edited by OKREF; Fri Mar 29, 2013 at 05:22pm.
Old Fri Mar 29, 2013, 05:28pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
If you stop the video at 11 seconds, the player has both hands on the ball and the left foot on the ground (just outside the FT circle).

When the left foot touches again, it's a travel.
Exactly. This is clearly a travel, I thought it was when I saw it live.
Old Fri Mar 29, 2013, 05:53pm
Official Forum Member

Let the discussion...continue

"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Fri Mar 29, 2013, 05:57pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
If that isn't the end of a dribble, what is? Left foot on the floor. He is going to take three steps, right, left, right.
Old Fri Mar 29, 2013, 06:14pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Where's The Bear ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
If that isn't the end of a dribble, what is? Left foot on the floor. He is going to take three steps, right, left, right.
Nice photo. I stand corrected.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)