The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Syracuse-Indiana clips(s) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/94579-syracuse-indiana-clips-s.html)

JetMetFan Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:01am

Syracuse-Indiana clips(s)

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1hgYsH6EcTI?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ballgame99 Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:18am

Play 1 - am I missing something? I see a guy making a layup.

Play 2 - looks like a shuffle, but its really quick and official is running in transition with the play, that would be a tough call to make on the fly.

zebraman Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:21am

I don't see anything close to a travel on play #1.

Play #2 might be a travel if we were allowed to ref games while they were shown to use in slo-motion. If it is a travel, it's hard to detect at full speed.

MD Longhorn Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:26am

During the broadcast, they went on and on about that first play being a missed travel. I didn't think it was in real time... and then every time they replayed it I was even more sure.

It's back to the difference between the rule (Gather, pivot, etc) and the perception of the rule (3 steps!)

bob jenkins Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:38am

If you stop the video at 11 seconds, the player has both hands on the ball and the left foot on the ground (just outside the FT circle).

When the left foot touches again, it's a travel.

ballgame99 Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 887547)
If you stop the video at 11 seconds, the player has both hands on the ball and the left foot on the ground (just outside the FT circle).

When the left foot touches again, it's a travel.

From this angle you can't tell the exact moment the gather takes place, but I'm placing it at the free throw line, at which time his left toe may be on the ground.

VaTerp Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:41am

On replay play #1 MIGHT be a travel.

And that's why it wasn't and shouldn't be called.

The announcers don't know what they are talking about. And the reasoning in the other thread that it was an obvious travel b/c of the distance covered is flawed. Good basketball players get to the basket on two dribbles all the time from 28' in.

Johnny Ringo Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:01pm

Play #1 is a travel. I actually DVR this play when it happened. He has ended his dribble (gathered two hands on the ball) with left foot on the ground, making it the pivot. A travel occurs when pivot foot returns to the floor and ball is still in his grasp - this happened in this play.

APG Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by VaTerp (Post 887554)
On replay play #1 MIGHT be a travel.

And that's why it wasn't and shouldn't be called.

The announcers don't know what they are talking about. And the reasoning in the other thread that it was an obvious travel b/c of the distance covered is flawed. Good basketball players get to the basket on two dribbles all the time from 28' in.

Distance covered is an awful way to try to adjudicate these type of plays (and I know it wasn't you that brought this up). If you're 6'6 (as is listed for the player in the clip above), of course you're very easily going to cover a lot of distance.

JRutledge Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:39pm

Sorry, not seeing a travel here.

Peace

Zoochy Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:43pm

I am not going to be 'That Guy' calling travel.
Just because it might look bad, does not indicate that it is a violation!
And not all athletic moves are legal!;)

JRutledge Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:48pm

I clearly have his right foot as the pivot foot. I do not even know how you think the left foot is his pivot foot as he had not gathered the ball yet. Both hands do not hit the ball until his left foot is on the ball. Do people really consider the ball coming to "rest" any earlier than that? And if you do, are you going to make that determination that fast?

If that is called, I can only wonder what other bad travels people call?

Peace

OKREF Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:56pm

I thought play one was a travel when I saw it live. In my humble opinion the replay confirms it for me. He picks the ball up with his left foot on the floor. steps with right, steps with left and doesn't shoot or pass before it hits again.

Raymond Fri Mar 29, 2013 02:22pm

#1: He gathers with his right hand and with left foot on ground, followed by right foot on ground, followed with left foot on ground again.

#2: In transition it's very hard to catch that shuffle at full speed.

JRutledge Fri Mar 29, 2013 02:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 887592)

#2: In transition it's very hard to catch that shuffle at full speed.

I agree. It might have been seen as a dribble or not complete control of the ball. And this was much more "obvious" than the first play.

Peace