The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 27, 2013, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member

Jump Stop and the Pivot Foot

I've been reading lots of the threads going back some time regarding jump stops, the pivot foot and traveling. Everyone has done a great job educating me on the specifics of traveling (NCAA and high school) so I don't have a question about the rules. What I do have a question about is a clarification to what appears to be "exceptions" to traveling with regards to establishing the pivot foot. And those are the parts of the NCAA definition relating to "jump stops".

Conceptually speaking, when executing these moves, is the established pivot foot actually being relocated, thus in reality creating a traveling violation or is there not a pivot foot established? Or is the parts of the rule relating to jump stops merely exceptions to what would be a travel because the pivot foot was relocated?

Hope my question is not too vague, it just appears the rules carve out certain exceptions for jump stop moves and I can't get my head around picturing the sequences and if there are pivots established or not.
Old Wed Mar 27, 2013, 08:52pm
Official Forum Member

In the case where a player jumps off a foot and lands on both feet, the player never had a pivot foot as the pivot foot is established when the second foot touches.

In the case where a player catches or ends his dribble with both feet on the floor and lands on two feet, there was no pivot foot either.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Mar 27, 2013, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

i found this video that illustrate the rules & provide visual demonstration.

Jump stop rule - YouTube
Old Thu Mar 28, 2013, 12:58pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by potato View Post
i found this video that illustrate the rules & provide visual demonstration.

Jump stop rule - YouTube
I haven't watched the video, so this comment is not directed towards this video specifically, but these videos are typically made by coaches. Coaches often do not understand the rules. Be careful.
Old Thu Mar 28, 2013, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I haven't watched the video, so this comment is not directed towards this video specifically, but these videos are typically made by coaches. Coaches often do not understand the rules. Be careful.
That clip was made by poster jump stop on here I believe.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Mar 28, 2013, 01:05pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
And looking at the video I am not sure every situation was accurate. I would have to review it again, even if created by a poster.

Peace
Old Thu Mar 28, 2013, 01:14pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
A father, not an official. I'd have to go back and watch again, but I don't recall it showing what he intended to show.
Old Fri Mar 29, 2013, 07:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
And looking at the video I am not sure every situation was accurate. I would have to review it again, even if created by a poster.

Peace
Hey........... thats me, I would love for you to point out the situations that are incorrect, thats why I made this video to clarify the jump stop. I'm saying they are all correct. I love a good debate. Here is why I made the video because of calls like this
Old Fri Mar 29, 2013, 07:56am
Official Forum Member

Very hard to tell from this video, but it looks to me like she ends her dribble with the right foot on the floor (just outside the three-point line). Steps with the left (just inside the line) and then jump stops (at about the FT line extended).

that's a travel.

Now, if you judge that she didn't end the dribble until the right foot left the floor, you'd have a different call.
Old Fri Mar 29, 2013, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jump stop View Post
Hey........... thats me, I would love for you to point out the situations that are incorrect, thats why I made this video to clarify the jump stop. I'm saying they are all correct. I love a good debate. Here is why I made the video because of calls like this
Your video is outstanding. If anyone tries to discredit you because you don't wear a striped shirt--then that's on them.
Old Fri Mar 29, 2013, 08:44am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse James View Post
Your video is outstanding. If anyone tries to discredit you because you don't wear a striped shirt--then that's on them.
That's not what I said.
Old Fri Mar 29, 2013, 08:51am
Do not give a damn!!

The video quality is not great, but it looks close and probably a travel based on the situation Bob was referring to, but without a better quality video it is hard to judge IMO when the dribble stopped. Also if I recall in the other video there were a couple of situations that were not quite accurately rules legal moves. I would have to go back and look at it again, but I remember there was some debate here over some situations. My point is there are better videos with actual breakdown of pivot foot and replay and graphics to show what is legal and what is not.

Peace
Old Fri Mar 29, 2013, 08:57am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jump stop View Post
I was able to watch the video this morning. That's a good video, and my only (minor) critique is that it's a bit redundant.
Old Fri Mar 29, 2013, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

As others have said the video quaility makes it difficult however I think it's a good ruling.
Old Fri Mar 29, 2013, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

How do you determine that she ended her dribble when the ball was on her hand when she was on her right foot, and that she wasn't still in dribbling motion and ended her dribble by holding the ball when she steps on the left foot and jump stops.

I know the taboo of using steps to count but another fellow forummer official said he'll call it travel for "more than 2 steps" & that means counting from the right foot when we can argue she was still in dribbling motion & the ball hasn't rest on her hand.

I've seen another video that even though the ball has been on the handler's hand and they only consider the dribble has ended and pivot foot establish when the ball is resting on his hand which in that scenario was the 2nd step he took in our case is the left foot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Very hard to tell from this video, but it looks to me like she ends her dribble with the right foot on the floor (just outside the three-point line). Steps with the left (just inside the line) and then jump stops (at about the FT line extended).

that's a travel.

Now, if you judge that she didn't end the dribble until the right foot left the floor, you'd have a different call.