LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 24, 2013, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Basketball rule questions

Questions on Rules:

Solved Questions:
Basketball rule questions

Dribbling:
1.After receiving a pass, under what condition can you take the 2 running steps? Can you stand still? Are you allowed to dribble? What if you took only 1 step or 1.5 step after receiving the pass, is it the same as 2 step or you can still dribble?

2.When you dribble, can your wrist touch the ball? Or is it considered grabbing the ball? and is there a hand position on the ball where it's considered holding the ball when you dribble?

3.Is there a limit how high you can dribble the ball?

4.Is there any condition for the 2 step run after dribble?
4a.Can i bounce the ball once without moving my legs, grab it (one or both hands) and quickly do a 2 step run for a layup or hotstep, or must i be in a "moving situation" to be allowed the 2 steps?
4b.Can i take 1 step backwards (or towards the basket but backwards) to trick opponents making them think i'm doing a 1 foot backstep shot and do another forward step for an easy shot? If yes is there a timeframe i must complete the move? I've seen postup players do something similar but they spin backwards with one foot and then take another front step on the other leg for a hookshot.
4c.Can i do something like a eurostep say after dribble step right with a fake layup, then step left with another fake jumpshot then take the real shot, all the while going abit airborne but not high enough to be considered a jump, something like tip toeing but with lots of fakes? I believe this move is pretty unfair as you can fake 2 defenders (3-4 if you pump faked before going in & fake the final step for a pass) and take the shot in between the 3 tip toeing (1st step after the dribble then 2 steps) if they didn't jump for the block.

5.Can you really take 3 steps after dribble (1 leg step then land on both feet the same time)? I know there's a rule stating you can but you cannot pivot after that. Can you do the same with a running pass? To me 3 steps after dribble seems wrong.

6.Can you hotstep immediately after receiving a running pass or you can only take the normal 2 steps?

7.When you dribble and the defender goes for the steal, are you allowed to use the non dribbling hand to block or even swap/push his hand away?

8.When you make a cut, how much elbow/arm movement is allowed? I see some players when they cut they move their non dribbling elbow with great force & speed (like sprinting) so any defender trying to get close would probably end up being elbowed. Others would try to use their arm to push the defender away even though they are infront, either to force their way in or make a room to squeeze through. I know you can lock the defender with your arms or give a small push if you already passed them but pushing/elbowing seems rough.

9.How much fumbling is allowed? Is it considered a fumble if you:
9a.Receive a pass with both hands but somehow you loose the ball after catching it and regain it with no one touching the ball, can you still dribble?
9b.If you finished your dribble and someone touches the ball while you are still holding it, do you get to dribble again or the ball has to leave your hands completely and someone else touching it before you could?
9c.If you finished your dribble and someone poked the ball, you somehow still grabbing the ball but looses it because of the poke earlier and recover the ball, do you get to dribble?
9d.If you go for a rebound with one hand and somehow dragged the ball and bounces to the floor once when you land and you grab it, can you still dribble?
9e.If you go for an intercept and somehow the ball bounces on the floor and you catches it, can you still dribble? What if it was a floor bounce pass and your hand happen to intercept it but the ball bounces on the floor again is it consider a dribble?
9f.Can i continue to fumble all the way to the paint by continuously "dropping" the ball? Or during certain situation where you finished the dribble yet found yourself stucked under the basket can you fake a fumble in order to move to a better position?

Defending:
1.If a person does a fadeaway jumpshot and the defender had to lean forward to block, if the lower body made contact (usually legs) with the shooter is it a shooting foul as usually the shooter's lower body extend forward?

2.If a person shoots and the defender jumps for the block and the shooter hand hits the defender's hand is it consider a shooting foul?

3.If a person goes for a shot and uses his non-shooting arm to block the defender and contact made, is there a foul? Would it be a foul if the defender hit the shooter's blocking hand really hard?

4.How restricted zone works as i believe no charging can be called within the zone? So the offense can do whatever they want in the zone? Must the offense jump towards the basket within the zone for no-charging to apply or they can jump from 3-point line and not worry about any charging if contact made within the zone?

5.If a defender has gained position before the offense and the offense goes for the basket & the defender stays on the ground with arms up, if body contact is made is it a defensive foul? What if the defender jumps up or moved his hands and contact made.

6.If the offense makes a cut to the basket & the defender follows, usually the offense shoulder would make contact with the defender's chest and usually ends with a bump, is it a blocking foul? Or it's a blocking foul only when the defender suddenly dash infront of the offense when he's about to shoot?

7.If the defender jumps late for a jump shot, and body contact made after the ball left the shooter's hand, is it considered a shooting foul or just play on. What if the contact is big for example the defender collides with the shooter after the shooter just landed?

8.After a shooting foul, if the offense is trying to get a foul in, and gets fouled in the process how would it be interpreted? I know the defender can still go for the block but if there's another foul?

9.If the defender goes for a pump fake, jumped (vertical of his position not towards the shooter), the shooter takes this chance and jumps forward into or under him to get a contact is it consider a shooting foul, say if the shooter didn't jump towards the already air born defender there won't be contact?

10.How much contact is allowed before you get called for reach in foul?

11.If a person drives to the basket and jumps, the defender jumps to block, no contacts were made initially but the offense decide to do a switch hand and body contact was made, for example offense arm which he switched to was seriously blocked by the defender's arm/body which obstructed the shot, does it count as a shooting foul?

12.Is it possible to call shooting foul or other foul should significant body contact made only AFTER a shot has been released?
13.Is it possible to call Goal Tending on a Dunk?

Offense:
1.How much bumping is allowed by the offense? Whether it's using shoulder or using their lower back (hip) to bump. Especially during post up & under the rim shots.

2.During post up or box out, how much arm is allowed to prevent the defender from getting close? Are you only allowed to use the arm to "block" or can you outright use your body weight on the arm and "push"?

3.What is "Up Down" rule, can you run the 2 steps in the mean time do fakes or you have to either pass or shoot once your arms in shooting form?

4.How much space must a screener give to make the screen legal? And must you hold both hands at your crouch when screening? What if you just position your arms normally like when you standstill, can you hold your hands to the chest if you see the defender charging into you to protect your body?

5a.If an offensive player runs in between a defender and ball handler is it consider a screen? Say if the player just "passing by". And would it be an illegal screen?
5b.If a offensive player runs infront a shooter & defender to block the defender's path how quickly must he gain position before being called illegal screen should contact made?

6.How does the 3second in the paint timer works? When does it reset? For example you post up in the paint, does it reset once you received the ball, or when you start the dribble, or when you catch the ball after dribble, does the counter still counts if you start doing pump fakes/pivot? When does the 3 second counter stop/reset while you are still in the paint? What if you end up passing the ball does the counter for that player gets reset?

7.5 seconds back to basket, how close do you need to be for the counter to start? under what condition does the counter reset (i.e fake half spin)? does it count when you are not dribbling but back to basket?

10.Is it an offense if you throw a ball at the opponent with full force?

Rebounding:
1.How much contact must be made before over the back foul applies? How to determine if a player is indeed infront?

2.How much arm/elbow can you use while boxing out for rebound? And how much lower back (hip) bump can you use?

3.Are body contacts allowed during jumping for rebounding? Can you slap the opponents hand/arm while on air?

4.Does shooting foul apply for immediate airborne rebound putbacks (grabs rebound and shoots before landing)?

5.How much body contact is allowed for a chase for loose balls? Can i just charge towards the ball and knock the other chaser down if both are close?

That is all i can think of on top of my mind right now.

Also can someone explain the positions for throwing in out of bounds ball?

Last edited by potato; Tue Mar 26, 2013 at 01:01am.
Old Sun Mar 24, 2013, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Here's my contribution:

Under dribbling, #9: Fumble-dribble-fumble is legal. Dribble-fumble-dribble is not.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Sun Mar 24, 2013, 11:36am
Do not give a damn!!

Welcome to the forum.

But a word of advice, this is way too long. Hardly anyone is going to read all of it and answer any one question in one setting. If you have questions break them up into individual topics and ask those questions. I love to read these kinds of questions myself, but this is so long I would not know where to begin. Ask one or two basic questions and you will get a lot of responses, trust me on that one.

Peace
Old Sun Mar 24, 2013, 11:39am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Welcome to the forum.

But a word of advice, this is way too long. Hardly anyone is going to read all of it and answer any one question in one setting. If you have questions break them up into individual topics and ask those questions. I love to read these kinds of questions myself, but this is so long I would not know where to begin. Ask one or two basic questions and you will get a lot of responses, trust me on that one.

Peace
+1

Take your time, we're not going anywhere. Break it down to one or two questions per thread, maybe a couple of threads a day. Otherwise, you're not likely to get good answers to all of your questions.
Old Sun Mar 24, 2013, 11:43am
We don't rent pigs

I have no idea what a hotstep is, but based on context, I suspect it may be illegal.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Mar 24, 2013, 11:44am
Keeper of the HAMMER

I really can't believe I'm saying this, but this may be the perfect time for BillyMac's over-inclusive list of basketball myths. If someone (maybe even Billy) could post that here, the OP could read it and respond with whatever clarifying questions he has.
Old Sun Mar 24, 2013, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

I didn't read much of that but I will say two things: I don't know what a "hotstep" is and steps don't matter in regards to traveling violations.
Old Sun Mar 24, 2013, 11:50am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Meanwhile, here are a couple of basics that should give you some food for thought.

Fumbles are accidental. If the officials rule the player's action was intentional, it's not a fumble, and is considered a dribble.

Traveling is not about the number of steps. It's about the pivot foot. A typical layup is gathered while the player is airborne, and his first foot down is not considered a 'step'. He then steps with the other foot before jumping off of that foot. His pivot foot landed and was lifted, but never came back down.

Contact is typically called with advantage in mind. The bigger, stronger, and more talented the players get, the more contact they can play through. "Over the back" is not a foul, and inside position does not mean anything with regard to deciding whether it's a foul or not. I've called plenty of fouls on the inside player for pushing rather than boxing out.
Old Sun Mar 24, 2013, 11:58am
Esteemed Forum Member

Hey, Somebody Finally Called ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I really can't believe I'm saying this, but this may be the perfect time for BillyMac's over-inclusive list of basketball myths. If someone (maybe even Billy) could post that here, the OP could read it and respond with whatever clarifying questions he has.

The Most Misunderstood Basketball Rules

It is important to know the intent and purpose of a rule so that it may be intelligently applied in each play situation. A player of a team should not be permitted an advantage which is not intended by a rule. Neither should play be permitted to develop which may lead to placing a player at a disadvantage not intended by a rule.

A player cannot touch the ball, ring, or net while the ball is on the ring or within the basket. A player cannot touch the ball if it is in the imaginary cylinder above the ring. These are examples of basket interference. It is legal to touch the ring or the net if the ball is above the ring and not touching the ring, even if the ball is in the imaginary cylinder above the ring. It is legal to hang on the ring if a player is avoiding an injury to himself or herself or another player.

The backboard has nothing to do with goaltending. Goaltending when a player touches the ball during a try, or tap, while it is in its downward flight, entirely above the basket ring level and has the possibility of entering the basket. On most layups, the ball is going up after it contacts the backboard. It is legal to pin the ball against the backboard if it still on the way up and not in the imaginary cylinder above the basket. Slapping the backboard is neither basket interference nor is it goaltending and points cannot be awarded. A player who strikes a backboard, during a tap, or a try, so forcefully that it cannot be ignored because it is an attempt to draw attention to the player, or a means of venting frustration, may be assessed a technical foul. When a player simply attempts to block a shot and accidentally slaps the backboard it is neither a violation nor is it a technical foul.

The front, top, sides, and bottom of the backboard are all in play. The ball cannot legally pass over a rectangular backboard from either direction. The back of a backboard is out of bounds as well as the supporting structures.

The traveling rule is one of the most misunderstood rules in basketball. To start a dribble, the ball must be released before the pivot foot is lifted. On a pass or a shot, the pivot foot may be lifted, but may not return to the floor before the ball is released. A player may slide on the floor while trying to secure a loose ball until that player’s momentum stops. At that point that player cannot attempt to get up or rollover. A player securing a ball while on the floor cannot attempt to stand up unless that player starts a dribble. A player in this situation may also pass, shoot, or request a timeout. If the player is flat on his or her back, that player may sit up without violating.

A player must be holding the ball (with one very rare exception) in order to travel. A player can't travel while dribbling, while tapping the ball, while fumbling it, or while trying to recover a loose ball. During a fumble the player is not in control of the ball, and therefore, cannot be called for a traveling violation. A fumble is the accidental loss of player control when the ball is unintentionally dropped or slips from a player’s grasp. After a player has ended a dribble and fumbled the ball, that player may recover the ball without violating. Any steps taken during the recovery of a fumble are not traveling, regardless of how far the ball goes and the amount of advantage that is gained. It is always legal to recover a fumble, even at the end of a dribble, however that player cannot begin a new dribble, which would be an illegal dribble violation. A player who fumbles the ball when receiving a pass may legally start a dribble.

The shooter can retrieve his or her own airball, if the referee considers it to be a shot attempt. The release ends team control. It is not a violation for that player to start another dribble at that point. When an airborne player keeps control of an attempted shot that is blocked and is unable to release the ball and returns to the floor with it, that player has not traveled; it is a held ball. If, in this situation, the shooter loses control of the ball because of the block, then this is simply a blocked shot and play continues. If, in this situation, the defender simply touches the ball, and the airborne shooter returns to the floor holding the ball, it’s a traveling violation. When an airborne player tries for goal, sees that the try will be blocked, purposely drops the ball, and picks up the ball after it hits the floor, that player has traveled by starting a dribble with the pivot foot off the floor.

Palming or carrying is when the ball comes to rest in the player's hand, and the player either travels with the ball, or dribbles a second time. There is no restriction as to how high a player may bounce the ball, provided the ball does not come to rest in a player’s hand. Steps taken during a dribble are not traveling, including several that are sometimes taken when a high dribble takes place. It is not possible for a player to travel during a dribble.

A player inbounding the ball may step on, but not over the line. During a designated spot throwin, the player inbounding the ball must keep one foot on or over the three-foot wide designated spot. An inbounding player is allowed to jump or move one or both feet. A player inbounding the ball may move backward as far as the five-second time limit or space allows. If player moves outside the three-foot wide designated spot it is a throwin violation, not traveling. In gymnasiums with limited space outside the sidelines and endlines, a defensive player may be asked to step back no more than three feet. A player inbounding the ball may “dribble” the ball on the out-of-bounds area prior to making a throwin. After a goal, or awarded goal, the team not credited with the score shall make the throw-in from any point outside the end line. A team retains this “run the endline” privilege if a timeout is called during the dead ball period after the goal. Any player of the team may make a direct throw-in, or may pass the ball along the end line to a teammate outside the boundary line.

The defender may not break the boundary plane during a throwin until the ball has been released on a throw-in pass. If the defender breaks the boundary plane during a throwin before the ball has been released on a throw-in pass, the defender’s team will receive a team delay warning, or if the team has already been warned for one of the four delay situations, this action would result in a team technical foul. If the defender contacts the ball after breaking the boundary plane, it is a player technical foul and a team delay warning will be recorded. If the defender breaks the boundary plane, and fouls the inbounding player, it is an intentional personal foul, and a team delay warning will be recorded. It is an intentional personal foul if the defender fouls the inbounding player, even without breaking the boundary plane, however, in this specific case, there is no delay of game warning because the defender did not break the boundary plane.

The inbounding player does not have a plane restriction, but has five seconds to release the ball and it must come directly onto the court. The ball can always be passed into the backcourt during a throwin. This situation is not a backcourt violation.

If a player's momentum carries him or her off the court, he or she can be the first player to touch the ball after returning inbounds. That player must not have left the court voluntarily and must immediately return inbounds. That player must have something in and nothing out. It is not necessary to have both feet back inbounds. It is a violation for a player to intentionally leave the court for an unauthorized reason.

After a violation, the ball is awarded to the opponents for a throwin from an out of bounds spot nearest the violation. This is especially true for a backcourt violation, where the ball may not necessarily be put in play at the division line, but, rather, is always put back in play at the spot nearest the violation.

A moving screen is not in and of itself a foul, illegal contact must occur for a foul to be called. If a blind screen is set on a stationary defender, the defender must be given one normal step to change direction and attempt to avoid contact. If a screen is set on a moving defender, the defender gets a minimum of one step and a maximum of two steps, depending on the speed and distance of the defender.

It is legal use of hands to accidentally hit the hand of the opponent when it is in contact with the ball. This includes holding, dribbling, passing, or even during a shot attempt. Striking a ball handler or a shooter on that player's hand that is incidental to an attempt to play the ball is not a foul.

Reaching in is not a foul. There must be illegal contact to have a foul. The mere act of reaching in, by itself, is nothing. If illegal contact does occur, it’s probably a holding foul, an illegal use of hands foul, or a hand check foul. When a player, in order to stop the clock, does not make a legitimate play for the ball, holds, pushes or grabs away from the ball, or uses undue roughness, the foul is an intentional foul.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Mar 24, 2013, 11:59am
Esteemed Forum Member

This List May Be Too Long ...

Over the back is not a foul. There must be illegal contact to have a foul. A taller player may often be able to get a rebound over a shorter player, even if the shorter player has good rebounding position. If the shorter player is displaced, then a pushing foul must be called. A rebounding player, with an inside position, while boxing out, is not allowed to push back or displace an opponent, which is a pushing foul.

A defensive player does not have to remain stationary to take a charge. A defender may turn away or duck to absorb contact, provided he or she has already established legal guarding position, which is both feet on the playing court and facing the opponent. The defender can always move backwards or sideways to maintain a legal guarding position and may even have one or both feet off the playing court when contact occurs. That player may legally rise vertically. If the defender is moving forward, then the contact is caused by the defender, which is a blocking foul.

The mere fact that contact occurs does not constitute a foul. Incidental contact is contact with an opponent which is permitted and does not constitute a foul. Contact, which occurs unintentionally in an effort by an opponent to reach a loose ball, or contact which may result when opponents are in equally favorable positions to perform normal defensive or offensive moves, should not be considered illegal, even though the contact may be severe. Contact which does not hinder an opponent from participating in normal defensive or offensive movements should be considered incidental.

A ten-second count continues when the defense deflects or bats the ball in the backcourt. When a dribbler is advancing the ball into the frontcourt, the ball maintains backcourt status until both feet and the ball touch entirely in the frontcourt.

During a throwin, even under a team’s own basket, if the throwin is deflected, tipped, or batted by an offensive player in the frontcourt to an offensive player in the backcourt; or after a missed field goal attempt or a missed foul shot attempt, if the ball is deflected, tipped, or batted by an offensive player in the frontcourt to an offensive player in the backcourt; these are not a backcourt violations.

During a throwin, or jump ball, any player; or a defensive player, in making a steal; may legally jump from his or her frontcourt, secure control of the ball with both feet off the floor, and return to the floor with one or both feet in the backcourt. The player may make a normal landing and it makes no difference whether the first foot down is in the frontcourt or the backcourt. These three situations are not backcourt violations.

The closely guarded rule is in effect in frontcourt only, when a defender is within six feet of the ball handler. Up to three separate five-second counts may occur on the same ball handler, holding, dribbling, and holding. The count continues even if defenders switch. The five-second count ends when a dribbler gets his or her head and shoulders ahead of the defender.

The intent of the three-second rule is to not allow an offensive player in the lane to gain an advantage. There is no three-second count between the release of a shot and the control of a rebound, at which time a new count starts. There is no three-second count during a throwin. There is no three-second count while the ball is in the backcourt. There is a three-second count during an interrupted dribble. There is a three-second count while an offensive player has one foot in the lane and one foot outside of the lane, and the three-second count continues if this player lifts the foot in the lane so that neither foot is touching inside the lane. To stop the count this player must have both feet touch the court outside of the lane. It’s a violation for a player to step out of bounds in an attempt to avoid a three second violation. Allowance shall be made for a player who, having been in the restricted area for less than three seconds, dribbles in or moves immediately to try for goal.

The head coach may request and be granted a timeout if his or her player is holding or dribbling the ball, or during a dead ball period. A player saving the ball in the air can ask for and be granted a timeout even if that player is going out of bounds. The key is whether or not the player has control of the ball.

On free throws, there is a maximum of two offensive players and four defensive players in the six marked lane spaces. The defense must be in the first marked lane spaces, above the neutral zone marks, on all free throws. The offense must not occupy the first marked lane spaces, above the neutral zone marks. The shooter and all the players in the designated lane spaces must wait until the ball hits rim or backboard before entering the lane. Players, other than the shooter, and the players in the designated lane spaces, are to remain behind the free throw line extended and behind the three point arc, and may not penetrate the free throw line extended and the three point arc until the ball hits rim or backboard. During a free throw, no opponent, including bench personnel, may disconcert the free thrower. For free throws when there are no rebounders in the marked lane spaces, i.e. technical fouls and intentional fouls, the nine nonshooters shall remain behind the free throw line extended and behind the three point arc.

A held ball occurs when opponents have their hands so firmly on the ball that control cannot be obtained without undue roughness. Action of arms and elbows resulting from total body movements as in pivoting or moving to prevent a held ball or loss of control shall not be considered excessive. It is a violation for a player to excessively swing his or her arms or elbows, even without contacting an opponent.

Kicking the ball is intentionally striking it with any part of the leg or foot. An unintentionally kicked ball is never illegal, regardless of how far the ball goes and who recovers it. It is also illegal to hit the ball with a fist.

A player who has been replaced, or directed to leave the game, shall not re-enter before the next opportunity to substitute after the clock has been started properly following his, or her, replacement. In other words, a player who has been replaced must sit a tick of the clock, however, a player doesn’t have to play a tick of the clock.

Players may not participate while wearing jewelry. Religious medals or medical alert medals are not considered jewelry. A religious medal must be taped and worn under the uniform. A medical alert medal must be taped and may be visible.

Headbands and wristbands must be white, black, beige or a single solid school color, provided all team members are wearing the same color for each item for all participants. Only a single item may be worn on the head and/or on each wrist. Sweatbands must be worn below the elbow. Rubber, cloth, or elastic bands, of any color, may be used to control hair. Undershirts must be similar in color to the jersey and shall not have frayed or ragged edges. Arm compression sleeves must be worn for medical purposes and must be white, black, beige or a single solid school color, and must be the same color for each team member.

Officials are not required to explain judgment calls, but they may explain some calls if approached by the head coach in a respectful manner. Officials have been instructed to call technical fouls for profanity, unsporting acts, excessive complaints, or verbal abuse.

Officials are on the court to be the only unbiased arbiters of the game. Officials are not concerned with who wins or loses, but only fairness and safety. Everyone else in that gym cares about winning, and therefore cannot look at the game objectively. Players commit fouls and violations; officials view those infractions, judge the action, and then apply the rules of the game to what they had viewed. The rules then determine the penalty.

Revised 1/12/13
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sun Mar 24, 2013, 12:03pm
Esteemed Forum Member

potato: Welcome To The Jungle ...

Quote:
Break it down to one or two questions per thread, maybe a couple of threads a day. Otherwise, you're not likely to get good answers to all of your questions.
potato: Please edit your original thread to one question, and then add more threads with more questions, one per thread. Do it all at once, or ask a few questions per day. Most of us here on the Forum will be pleased to answer all of your questions, especially now that the off-season has started for many of us. Even using the quote feature, and narrowing down individual questions, I am not going to answer thirty-five questions at one time. Sorry.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Mar 24, 2013 at 12:15pm.
Old Sun Mar 24, 2013, 12:07pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Matthew 7:7 ...

Quote:
I really can't believe I'm saying this, but this may be the perfect time for BillyMac's over-inclusive list of basketball myths.
You said it. It's too late to take it back. A card laid is a card played.

Old Sun Mar 24, 2013, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

I'll take #3. Answer is No. My eyes are tired of reading
Old Sun Mar 24, 2013, 01:10pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Can I Be Hulk Hogan ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triad zebra View Post
I'll take #3. Answer is No
Tag team Forum posting? What a novel idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by potato View Post
8.Does the ball hitting the side of the board means it's out of bound like it would when it hits the top of the board/back of the board?
The ball is not out of bounds when it hits the top of the backboard.

The front, top, sides, and bottom of the backboard are all in play. The ball cannot legally pass over a rectangular backboard from either direction. The back of a backboard is out of bounds as well as the supporting structures.

Notice that I picked an easy one. I'll leave the more difficult questions to esteemed Forum members. They're what you call experts.

Who should I tag next?

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Mar 24, 2013 at 01:47pm.
Old Sun Mar 24, 2013, 01:52pm
NFHS Official

I don't think you can ever take 2 steps without dribbling, can you?
Closed Thread