The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 24, 2013, 03:44pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
I'm going to continue to call it in my games despite the fact that it is (improperly by rule) not called at higher levels.
That is great, but many of us do not call what we think we see at the higher levels. I call travels often and never call what I cannot describe or can process in my mind. And I still miss calls on this end.

Now I can tell you that in a playoff game I had this year I had a situation where a certain player would do the same move every single time. I called like 5 travels on him in the same spot when I was in position or had on-ball coverage. My partners did not see it or were not calling it and I looked like the bad guy. Well the same crew had this same team two nights later and for some reason that move was almost never done again in the next game. Again, this was HS basketball, not anything on TV or with the eyes that we see in these games.

Peace
Old Sun Mar 24, 2013, 03:44pm
Official & Member

That's one long laundry list...

I'll grab another easy one:

Offense
9.Is it considered a kick ball if the ball handler throws the ball at the defender's foot? Does it apply to all parts of the legs?

To be a KICK, the official has to judge the defender's action to be intentional. Thus, in your scenario, it would not be considered a KICK unless, for example, the defender lifts the foot to stop the ball. Also, it applies to the entire leg (shins, feet, knees, thighs)
Old Sun Mar 24, 2013, 03:49pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
That is great, but many of us do not call what we think we see at the higher levels.

The problem is when we do call what everybody sees at higher levels, but it doesn't get called there.

Quote:
I had this year I had a situation where a certain player would do the same move every single time. I called like 5 travels on him
I've done this. It makes me feel bad for the kid. He didn't just learn that move tonight. He obviously been allowed to make the move without a call other places.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Mar 24, 2013, 04:10pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
The problem is when we do call what everybody sees at higher levels, but it doesn't get called there.

I've done this. It makes me feel bad for the kid. He didn't just learn that move tonight. He obviously been allowed to make the move without a call other places.
I honestly do not know many officials that justify travels or not calling travels they call related to what happens at the other level.

And no I do not think what we called had anything to do with what he had been allowed to do. I think he just lost his fundamentals and did not learn after the first call. He somehow learned the next time. Players make mistakes, not everything they do has to do with us and what we call. And it certainly is not always about what others call at a level that everyone does not watch as closely as others.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 25, 2013, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Yes, the gym ceiling.
Never thought about it that way before, lol
Old Tue Mar 26, 2013, 12:36am
Official Forum Member

hi guys, thanks for the reply, i think i will keep this thread instead of opening multiple threads.

i will continue to add questions on 1st page & mark those that has been solved so we can continue to discuss the outstanding questions.

Any of you guys have similar questions do post here and i'll try to add it into the 1st post.

hopefully one day this thread can become the ultimate basketball myth thread.
Old Tue Mar 26, 2013, 12:40am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by potato View Post
We already have a bunch of those. One question per thread is still the best way to go.

Trust us.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Mar 26, 2013, 12:48am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by potato View Post
hi guys, thanks for the reply, i think i will keep this thread instead of opening multiple threads.

i will continue to add questions on 1st page & mark those that has been solved so we can continue to discuss the outstanding questions.

Any of you guys have similar questions do post here and i'll try to add it into the 1st post.

You can try it, but you're not likely to get satisfactory answers to all of your questions.
Old Tue Mar 26, 2013, 12:54am
Official Forum Member

so are we allowed to take 1 step (after your foot lands not inc 1/2 step) after receiving a running pass (you run towards the basket at full speed & receive a pass and you go for a layup. Or you have to jump the moment your foot lands on the ground after receiving the pass. Or dribble.
Old Tue Mar 26, 2013, 12:58am
Official Forum Member

Solved Questions:

Offensive:

8.Does the ball hitting the side of the board means it's out of bound like it would when it hits the top of the board/back of the board?
Basketball rule questions

9.Is it considered a kick ball if the ball handler throws the ball at the defender's foot? Does it apply to all parts of the legs?[/COLOR]
Basketball rule questions

Last edited by potato; Tue Mar 26, 2013 at 01:00am.
Old Tue Mar 26, 2013, 01:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
I didn't read much of that but I will say two things: I don't know what a "hotstep" is and steps don't matter in regards to traveling violations.
a hotstep (hopstep?) is the person does a quick hop/leap with both legs then landing with both legs right after picking up his dribble, which is considered 2 steps.

which makes me wonder, after the hopstep, can you still choose your pivot foot and pivot?

Last edited by potato; Tue Mar 26, 2013 at 01:10am.
Old Tue Mar 26, 2013, 01:09am
Official Forum Member

just wanna let you guys know you guys are free to take your time to answer, you can just choose a question on the list (or not on the list) and we can discuss about it. i will move the answered question to another post.

treat it like ur 10000 movie collection that you gonna watch it as time goes by...
Old Tue Mar 26, 2013, 01:17am
Official Forum Member

hi Adam, regarding your "pivot" foot, do you mean as long as the pivot foot leaves the ground and doesn't touch the ground again you won't be called for travelling?

for example a guy finishes his dribble, took a step with his left foot (now pivot), then a right. Now both legs are on the ground, he lifts off his left pivot foot so he can extend his body further right with his right foot (since the left foot is off the ground he can move further right), and it's legal?

in this case he can turn around, moving his non pivoting foot around and even extend his non-pivot foot even further right, releases his left pivot foot and gain a +1 step range advantage.

i always though the pivot foot have to leave the ground after the non pivot, or at least the same time in such scenario?

also for a normal 2 step layup, after his pivot foot leaves the ground, he can stand one leg on his non-pivot foot forever until he gets called for 3 secs/shotclock violation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Meanwhile, here are a couple of basics that should give
Traveling is not about the number of steps. It's about the pivot foot. A typical layup is gathered while the player is airborne, and his first foot down is not considered a 'step'. He then steps with the other foot before jumping off of that foot. His pivot foot landed and was lifted, but never came back down.
Old Tue Mar 26, 2013, 01:24am
Keeper of the HAMMER

If a player picks up his dribble with one foot on the floor, that foot is his pivot and if he lifts that foot, he must shoot, pass, or request timeout prior to putting it back on the floor. If he picks up his dribble while airborne, his first foot down is the pivot. If he lands on both, or picks up his dribble with both feet on the floor, either foot can be the pivot.
Old Tue Mar 26, 2013, 01:36am
Official Forum Member

still confusing.

in ur case you said after the pivot foot (let's assume left) leaves the ground you can take another step (right) (2 step after dribble run), does it mean as long as the pivot foot that is airborne doesn't touch the ground you can still stand on the non pivot foot? In this case can't you keep hopping with your non pivot foot that is on the ground while the pivot foot is still in the air?

also in my example, the player sets left as his pivot foot then sets his right foot on the ground (so both feet on the ground), this means he can extend his right non pivot foot to as far as he can, lift off his left pivot foot 1st then jumps on his right non pivot foot to get maximum lateral extension?

is there another rule to govern such cases?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
If a player picks up his dribble with one foot on the floor, that foot is his pivot and if he lifts that foot, he must shoot, pass, or request timeout prior to putting it back on the floor. If he picks up his dribble while airborne, his first foot down is the pivot. If he lands on both, or picks up his dribble with both feet on the floor, either foot can be the pivot.
Closed Thread