View Single Post
Old Sun Mar 24, 2013, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Basketball rule questions

Questions on Rules:

Solved Questions:
Basketball rule questions

Dribbling:
1.After receiving a pass, under what condition can you take the 2 running steps? Can you stand still? Are you allowed to dribble? What if you took only 1 step or 1.5 step after receiving the pass, is it the same as 2 step or you can still dribble?

2.When you dribble, can your wrist touch the ball? Or is it considered grabbing the ball? and is there a hand position on the ball where it's considered holding the ball when you dribble?

3.Is there a limit how high you can dribble the ball?

4.Is there any condition for the 2 step run after dribble?
4a.Can i bounce the ball once without moving my legs, grab it (one or both hands) and quickly do a 2 step run for a layup or hotstep, or must i be in a "moving situation" to be allowed the 2 steps?
4b.Can i take 1 step backwards (or towards the basket but backwards) to trick opponents making them think i'm doing a 1 foot backstep shot and do another forward step for an easy shot? If yes is there a timeframe i must complete the move? I've seen postup players do something similar but they spin backwards with one foot and then take another front step on the other leg for a hookshot.
4c.Can i do something like a eurostep say after dribble step right with a fake layup, then step left with another fake jumpshot then take the real shot, all the while going abit airborne but not high enough to be considered a jump, something like tip toeing but with lots of fakes? I believe this move is pretty unfair as you can fake 2 defenders (3-4 if you pump faked before going in & fake the final step for a pass) and take the shot in between the 3 tip toeing (1st step after the dribble then 2 steps) if they didn't jump for the block.

5.Can you really take 3 steps after dribble (1 leg step then land on both feet the same time)? I know there's a rule stating you can but you cannot pivot after that. Can you do the same with a running pass? To me 3 steps after dribble seems wrong.

6.Can you hotstep immediately after receiving a running pass or you can only take the normal 2 steps?

7.When you dribble and the defender goes for the steal, are you allowed to use the non dribbling hand to block or even swap/push his hand away?

8.When you make a cut, how much elbow/arm movement is allowed? I see some players when they cut they move their non dribbling elbow with great force & speed (like sprinting) so any defender trying to get close would probably end up being elbowed. Others would try to use their arm to push the defender away even though they are infront, either to force their way in or make a room to squeeze through. I know you can lock the defender with your arms or give a small push if you already passed them but pushing/elbowing seems rough.

9.How much fumbling is allowed? Is it considered a fumble if you:
9a.Receive a pass with both hands but somehow you loose the ball after catching it and regain it with no one touching the ball, can you still dribble?
9b.If you finished your dribble and someone touches the ball while you are still holding it, do you get to dribble again or the ball has to leave your hands completely and someone else touching it before you could?
9c.If you finished your dribble and someone poked the ball, you somehow still grabbing the ball but looses it because of the poke earlier and recover the ball, do you get to dribble?
9d.If you go for a rebound with one hand and somehow dragged the ball and bounces to the floor once when you land and you grab it, can you still dribble?
9e.If you go for an intercept and somehow the ball bounces on the floor and you catches it, can you still dribble? What if it was a floor bounce pass and your hand happen to intercept it but the ball bounces on the floor again is it consider a dribble?
9f.Can i continue to fumble all the way to the paint by continuously "dropping" the ball? Or during certain situation where you finished the dribble yet found yourself stucked under the basket can you fake a fumble in order to move to a better position?

Defending:
1.If a person does a fadeaway jumpshot and the defender had to lean forward to block, if the lower body made contact (usually legs) with the shooter is it a shooting foul as usually the shooter's lower body extend forward?

2.If a person shoots and the defender jumps for the block and the shooter hand hits the defender's hand is it consider a shooting foul?

3.If a person goes for a shot and uses his non-shooting arm to block the defender and contact made, is there a foul? Would it be a foul if the defender hit the shooter's blocking hand really hard?

4.How restricted zone works as i believe no charging can be called within the zone? So the offense can do whatever they want in the zone? Must the offense jump towards the basket within the zone for no-charging to apply or they can jump from 3-point line and not worry about any charging if contact made within the zone?

5.If a defender has gained position before the offense and the offense goes for the basket & the defender stays on the ground with arms up, if body contact is made is it a defensive foul? What if the defender jumps up or moved his hands and contact made.

6.If the offense makes a cut to the basket & the defender follows, usually the offense shoulder would make contact with the defender's chest and usually ends with a bump, is it a blocking foul? Or it's a blocking foul only when the defender suddenly dash infront of the offense when he's about to shoot?

7.If the defender jumps late for a jump shot, and body contact made after the ball left the shooter's hand, is it considered a shooting foul or just play on. What if the contact is big for example the defender collides with the shooter after the shooter just landed?

8.After a shooting foul, if the offense is trying to get a foul in, and gets fouled in the process how would it be interpreted? I know the defender can still go for the block but if there's another foul?

9.If the defender goes for a pump fake, jumped (vertical of his position not towards the shooter), the shooter takes this chance and jumps forward into or under him to get a contact is it consider a shooting foul, say if the shooter didn't jump towards the already air born defender there won't be contact?

10.How much contact is allowed before you get called for reach in foul?

11.If a person drives to the basket and jumps, the defender jumps to block, no contacts were made initially but the offense decide to do a switch hand and body contact was made, for example offense arm which he switched to was seriously blocked by the defender's arm/body which obstructed the shot, does it count as a shooting foul?

12.Is it possible to call shooting foul or other foul should significant body contact made only AFTER a shot has been released?
13.Is it possible to call Goal Tending on a Dunk?

Offense:
1.How much bumping is allowed by the offense? Whether it's using shoulder or using their lower back (hip) to bump. Especially during post up & under the rim shots.

2.During post up or box out, how much arm is allowed to prevent the defender from getting close? Are you only allowed to use the arm to "block" or can you outright use your body weight on the arm and "push"?

3.What is "Up Down" rule, can you run the 2 steps in the mean time do fakes or you have to either pass or shoot once your arms in shooting form?

4.How much space must a screener give to make the screen legal? And must you hold both hands at your crouch when screening? What if you just position your arms normally like when you standstill, can you hold your hands to the chest if you see the defender charging into you to protect your body?

5a.If an offensive player runs in between a defender and ball handler is it consider a screen? Say if the player just "passing by". And would it be an illegal screen?
5b.If a offensive player runs infront a shooter & defender to block the defender's path how quickly must he gain position before being called illegal screen should contact made?

6.How does the 3second in the paint timer works? When does it reset? For example you post up in the paint, does it reset once you received the ball, or when you start the dribble, or when you catch the ball after dribble, does the counter still counts if you start doing pump fakes/pivot? When does the 3 second counter stop/reset while you are still in the paint? What if you end up passing the ball does the counter for that player gets reset?

7.5 seconds back to basket, how close do you need to be for the counter to start? under what condition does the counter reset (i.e fake half spin)? does it count when you are not dribbling but back to basket?

10.Is it an offense if you throw a ball at the opponent with full force?

Rebounding:
1.How much contact must be made before over the back foul applies? How to determine if a player is indeed infront?

2.How much arm/elbow can you use while boxing out for rebound? And how much lower back (hip) bump can you use?

3.Are body contacts allowed during jumping for rebounding? Can you slap the opponents hand/arm while on air?

4.Does shooting foul apply for immediate airborne rebound putbacks (grabs rebound and shoots before landing)?

5.How much body contact is allowed for a chase for loose balls? Can i just charge towards the ball and knock the other chaser down if both are close?

That is all i can think of on top of my mind right now.

Also can someone explain the positions for throwing in out of bounds ball?

Last edited by potato; Tue Mar 26, 2013 at 01:01am.