The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 24, 2013, 06:30pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Well it was not that simple. He kind of went on and on and was a little unreasonable about it. He made it sound like there is no way the officials should have missed that. And Kenny and Greg Anthony were basically talking Charles off the ledge. Just like they were giving him crap about his position about the Big Ten. And when John Adams came on and said what he felt about the call, Charles had nothing to say. Not sure if he was not in the room or he just was asked not to say anything, but Charles had nothing to ask or say about John's comments.

Peace
I give Charles credit, when he's wrong, he's emphatically and spectacularly wrong.
Old Sun Mar 24, 2013, 07:38pm
Official Forum Member

I'm glad I wasn't crazy when I thought the first play was a shooting foul.
Old Mon Mar 25, 2013, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
Same reason he's on countless ads, people like him, he's honest. Why do you feel he's a buffoon?

He's only honest with saying what he's thinking not the facts.
Old Mon Mar 25, 2013, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Well it was not that simple. He kind of went on and on and was a little unreasonable about it. He made it sound like there is no way the officials should have missed that. And Kenny and Greg Anthony were basically talking Charles off the ledge. Just like they were giving him crap about his position about the Big Ten. And when John Adams came on and said what he felt about the call, Charles had nothing to say. Not sure if he was not in the room or he just was asked not to say anything, but Charles had nothing to ask or say about John's comments.

Peace
I must have missed the whole exchange, so I'm wrong. I'll defend Charles whole body of work though, but it sounds like he went overboard
Old Mon Mar 25, 2013, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
I watched it to the end...he went on and on about how bad a call it was. Others on the panel, including Gumbel, were defending the official because of how close/borderline and fast the play was...they showed repeated replays with Craft's foot hovering over the RA...in chimes Charles...It was turrible.

I must have missed that exchange. Still a Charles fan, no filter, which is refreshing from some of the other suits(Bilas)
Old Mon Mar 25, 2013, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

I love the NBA analysts on the NCAA tournament, including Charles. He did go overboard criticizing this call, which by the way is incredibly hard at real speed. I don't know how the Lead could have seen the heel over that line by maybe an inch. Either way, he is entertaining and that is what the networks want. The other guys in the studio defended the officials, and talked about how they miss calls, players make mistakes, coaches make mistakes...It's all part of the game.
Old Mon Mar 25, 2013, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

1. its all about the gather - he has started his shooting motion
2. fast or slow I got a block - it is very close
Old Mon Mar 25, 2013, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
I love the NBA analysts on the NCAA tournament, including Charles. He did go overboard criticizing this call, which by the way is incredibly hard at real speed. I don't know how the Lead could have seen the heel over that line by maybe an inch. Either way, he is entertaining and that is what the networks want. The other guys in the studio defended the officials, and talked about how they miss calls, players make mistakes, coaches make mistakes...It's all part of the game.
I thought Chuck took it way too personal, he was tired of his criticisms of the Big Ten blowing up in his face and latched onto this like it was the holy grail of why ISU got screwed. Kenny and Greg Anthony were pretty reasonable, but Gumbel teased it all day as the "CONTROVERSIAL" call. Not a once was it mentioned that this came with 1:41 left in the game, not 20 seconds or something.
Old Mon Mar 25, 2013, 01:52pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrounge View Post
I thought Chuck took it way too personal, he was tired of his criticisms of the Big Ten blowing up in his face and latched onto this like it was the holy grail of why ISU got screwed. Kenny and Greg Anthony were pretty reasonable, but Gumbel teased it all day as the "CONTROVERSIAL" call. Not a once was it mentioned that this came with 1:41 left in the game, not 20 seconds or something.
According to my bracket it was a great call.
Old Mon Mar 25, 2013, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post

2. That's where the C is supposed to come in and help but I can see why he wouldn't if he wasn't 100% sure. That being said, my guess is someone asked the C after the game if there was a chance for him to pick up the RA.
That was my first thought as well. However, after looking at the play again, I can see why the officials stayed with the PC. The lead rotates as the ISU player begins his drive. The old T/new C is hustling to get into position, but he is a long ways away at contact, and on the move. He probably isn't sure and rightfully leaves it alone. The old C/new T has two defenders and the shooter between him and the secondary defender. He has a PC and knows the L does too, based on his body language after the whistle. The L is focused on the shot being challenged as his eyes are looking up the entire time. He has no idea how close the secondary defender is to the RA. He sees the aftermath of the collision and signals the PC, which he believes to be correct. Tough break for the Cyclones, but as stated in this thread, nearly impossible to get correct at real speed. I don't think you can hold this one against the official/crew.

On a side note, the local sports radio in Iowa wasn't that distraught over it (at least not on my commute this morning). Nothing like the KU block/charge, that's for sure.
Old Mon Mar 25, 2013, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
I have a foul on 1 white, prior to the block/charge.
I wouldn't call that foul. The contact is minimal at best and doesn't cause the shooter to crash into the defender. The collision is going to happen regardless of the contact by #1. The block/charge is the elephant on the play and the needs the whistle.
Old Mon Mar 25, 2013, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
According to my bracket it was a great call.
Me too