The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 21, 2013, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
There's liability, and there's negligence. If I don't notice the bandaid, I'm probably negligent. If I notice the bandaid and don't address it, I'm negligent. If I notice the bandaid, ask the player about it, am lied to, and have the coach confirm that his players are legally equipped, I don't believe that I'm negligent, but I'm probably still going to have to deal with the bother of lawyers, courts, IAABO insurance, NFHS insurance, etc.

Disclaimer: I am not an attorney, nor do I play one on television.

Bottom line, I'm addressing the issue, but I'm not asking a player to remove a bandaid. But, as usual, when in Rome, check your local listings.
I'm in the process of becoming one, and I am not quite sure I would agree with this. However if it was, there would be massive amount of contributory negligence on the part of others that would help you.
Old Thu Mar 21, 2013, 05:19pm
Esteemed Forum Member

That's My Story And I'm Sticking To It ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
You made the comment that you do not ask them to take off jewelry.
That's 100% correct, I've made that statement many, many times on the Forum, but did I make it in this thread?

In any case, I think that we agree. Officials should not ask players to remove illegal equipment, we should tell players that they can't play with illegal equipment.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Mar 21, 2013, 05:26pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Where's Judge Judy When You Need Her ???

Quote:
There's liability, and there's negligence. If I don't notice the bandaid, I'm probably negligent. If I notice the bandaid and don't address it, I'm negligent. If I notice the bandaid, ask the player about it, am lied to, and have the coach confirm that his players are legally equipped, I don't believe that I'm negligent, but I'm probably still going to have to deal with the bother of lawyers, courts, IAABO insurance, NFHS insurance, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekent View Post
I'm in the process of becoming one, and I am not quite sure I would agree with this.
Interesting. Can you expound upon this?

If necessary, will you represent me? If so, please send the bill to Mark Padgett, he lives somewhere in Oregon. He's already got my account numbers, PIN's etc.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Thu Mar 21, 2013, 06:39pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
If I see a band aid on anyones ear, I am assuming it is covering an ear ring and asking them about it. Jewelry isn't allowed. Common sense should tell you that it is covering an ear ring. If it isn't they just put a new band aid on. The time and trouble it takes to look and fix is worth not having to deal with a kid getting their ear ripped open because we allowed them to play with jewelry.
I don't disagree with this.

My only point of disagreement is how much I'm going to press the issue. I might even ask him to show me, but if a player was to make the claim that he was told by his doctor to not remove the bandage, I'm not pushing it any further.

Is that extreme? Sure, but frankly, I think this issue doesn't even get debatable until we get to the sasquatch situations.
Old Thu Mar 21, 2013, 06:43pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
You do not ask them to remove them in the first place, you just tell them they cannot play with them if on their body.

Peace
I get the point of this, but I don't worry about the semantics here. It seems a lot like the whole "base line / end line" discussion, or a certain long time member's obsession with whether coaches "call" or "request" timeouts. The next time a player sits out the game rather than take out his earrings will be the first time.
Old Thu Mar 21, 2013, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

Softball - Belly Piercing

Working a softball game a few year ago...highly conteste game but the one coach was clueless. He calls time and comes out to tell me that the batter from the other team had her navel pierced. I said coach I can't see that nor am I interested in looking... he couldn't believe that I wouldn't eject player.

Was by far strangest request from a coach I ever had....
Old Thu Mar 21, 2013, 07:35pm
Official Forum Member

Just consider bandaids on the ears as jewelry. Problem solved!

As far as I know, what is or is not jewelry is not defined anywhere.
Old Thu Mar 21, 2013, 08:41pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I get the point of this, but I don't worry about the semantics here. It seems a lot like the whole "base line / end line" discussion, or a certain long time member's obsession with whether coaches "call" or "request" timeouts. The next time a player sits out the game rather than take out his earrings will be the first time.
Usually in my experience the coach thanks us for telling his player the rule. Usually not much of an issue as I said because the rule is well known.

Peace
Old Fri Mar 22, 2013, 06:39am
Esteemed Forum Member

Philosophical Question ...

If a bandaid falls in the forest, and there are no officials around ...

Old Fri Mar 22, 2013, 06:42am
Esteemed Forum Member

BillyMac's Got A Better Idea ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Just consider bandaids on the ears as jewelry. Problem solved!
Better yet, just consider ears to be jewelry, and make exceptions for medical, or religious reasons. Removing an ear has to be considered to be a medical problem, or there has to be some Commandment being broken?

Old Fri Mar 22, 2013, 06:46am
Esteemed Forum Member

No Definition Needed ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
As far as I know, what is or is not jewelry is not defined anywhere.
The Supreme Court has already ruled on this: "I know it when I see it. (Justice Potter Stewart)

If you don't concur with him, you can always go to Noah Webster's definition.

Old Fri Mar 22, 2013, 07:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Even if there wasn't an earing under the tape?
If they prove to me there's no earring under the tape, then of course they can play with tape over their ears. Geez - is it really necessary to be so literal? You know what I meant. It won't be long before I put you back on my ignore list, I suspect...
Old Fri Mar 22, 2013, 10:33am
This IS My Social Life

Surprized No One Has Said "Don't Be a Plumber" on This Yet

Quote:
Disclaimer: I am not an attorney, nor do I play one on television.
Disclaimer: I am a plumber but to not officiate or enforce the rules like one.
Old Fri Mar 22, 2013, 04:22pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Pants On Fire ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
If they prove to me there's no earring under the tape, then of course they can play with tape over their ears.
Again, I expect officials to do what is the expected standard in their little corner of their state, however.

The player tells you he isn't wearing an erring. The coach tells you that all his players are legally equipped. Yet you still insist that the player pull off his tape. You have just, in essence, accused both the player, and his coach, of being liars, and that's not the way I want my game to go before we've even tossed up the jump ball.

Let's say that after questioning both the player, and the coach, about the tape, the official still insists that the player pull off the tape, and there's no earing, just a cut. Now the official has just, in essence, accused two people of being liars, incorrectly, for no reason. Again, not the way I want to start my game.

Or, let's say that after questioning both the player, and the coach, about the tape, the official still insists that the player pull off the tape, and there is an earing, proving that both the player, and the coach, are, indeed, liars. They've been exposed for what they really are, liars, and also, they're embarrassed liars. Again, not the way I want to start my game.

Again, if asking players to remove tape is the excepted standard in an association, then that's the way you have to do it. I have no problem with that.

Old Fri Mar 22, 2013, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Again, I expect officials to do what is the expected standard in their little corner of their state, however.

The player tells you he isn't wearing an erring. The coach tells you that all his players are legally equipped. Yet you still insist that the player pull off his tape. You have just, in essence, accused both the player, and his coach, of being liars, and that's not the way I want my game to go before we've even tossed up the jump ball.

Let's say that after questioning both the player, and the coach, about the tape, the official still insists that the player pull off the tape, and there's no earing, just a cut. Now the official has just, in essence, accused two people of being liars, incorrectly, for no reason. Again, not the way I want to start my game.

Or, let's say that after questioning both the player, and the coach, about the tape, the official still insists that the player pull off the tape, and there is an earing, proving that both the player, and the coach, are, indeed, liars. They've been exposed for what they really are, liars, and also, they're embarrassed liars. Again, not the way I want to start my game.

Again, if asking players to remove tape is the excepted standard in an association, then that's the way you have to do it. I have no problem with that.
What a bunch of nonsense. I am thanking my lucky stars I don't work in your little corner.