The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 29, 2013, 06:47pm
Official Forum Member

Update

Just an update to you guys! I went to the camp , learned and shined! Receive an invite to his Orlando camp in July aau nationals! So thanks to the good feedback I received and to the negative well you just sound like a angry what if official!!
Old Wed May 29, 2013, 07:50pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy42785 View Post
Just an update to you guys! I went to the camp , learned and shined! Receive an invite to his Orlando camp in July aau nationals! So thanks to the good feedback I received and to the negative well you just sound like a angry what if official!!
Forgive me, but maybe you should be around longer than 2 posts before you worry about what others say to you. I did not recall anyone telling you something that was out of line or not good advice. Good luck at the camp, but that does not mean anything. Many of us have been invited to stuff and it did not mean much of anything but more money out of your pocket.

Peace
Old Wed May 29, 2013, 08:47pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
You think that was negative?

Interesting.
Old Wed May 29, 2013, 08:56pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Some of us work in conferences that pay more than the Big South and Conference Carolinas. Some of us know officials who have chosen not to work for Joe Forte. Some of us know officials who get a lot of games from Joe Forte. Some of us have been to his camps and been picked up. Some of us have been to his camps and not picked up.

All that is irrelevant to the tone of your original post.
Old Wed May 29, 2013, 09:18pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Here's my advice…

Quote:
Just an update to you guys! I went to the camp , learned and shined! Receive an invite to his Orlando camp in July aau nationals! So thanks to the good feedback I received.
Stop there.

Quote:
and to the negative well you just sound like a angry what if official!!
^^^^ Leave that part out.
Old Thu May 30, 2013, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

My .02....

I did not read his initial post as cocky. He probably just didn't want a reply like:

"Have strong mechanics, have a great official look, know the rules, run hard, see the angles, move to improve, and communicate with fellow officials!"

Old Thu May 30, 2013, 02:10pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
My .02....

I did not read his initial post as cocky. He probably just didn't want a reply like:

"Have strong mechanics, have a great official look, know the rules, run hard, see the angles, move to improve, and communicate with fellow officials!"

Well, Forte doesn't care about running hard, but he does care about having a great look. The #1 thing he cares about is getting plays right.

Not many college officials on this site reveal which conferences they work in, so any specific answers as they applied to working for Joe Forte probably weren't going to be very forthcoming. (I don't work for Forte)

This is a question that common sense tells you should have been asked in his local area to officials who already work in the BS and/or CC, not a bunch of anonymous folks on a message board.

Last edited by Raymond; Fri May 31, 2013 at 06:57am.
Old Fri May 31, 2013, 06:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Well, Forte doesn't care about running hard, but he does care about having a great look. The #1 thing he cares about is getting plays right.

Not many college officials on this site reveal which conferences they work in, so any specific answers as they applied to working for Joe Forte probably weren't going to be very forthcoming. (I don't work for Forte)

This is an question that common sense tells you should have been asked in his local area to officials who already work in the BS and/or CC, not a bunch of anonymous folks on a message board.
BNF - He does care about running hard. I believe running hard and hustling to get an angle to see the play to make a decision (call or no call) can be the same or two different things. False hustle and running just to run don't help any of us.

Regarding the official attending Orlando. Did you go to Suwanee back in May to the Gibbons camp? If so who evaluated you and what feedback did you receive. That will help you decide what you need to work on when you attend the STP in Orlando. It will also help me help you in making recommendations. I would also recommend you inform you clinicians prior to each game the 1 or 2 things you intend to work on that game so they can take note and provide feedback

Be genuine, staff can see right through the campers that talk just to talk. Big turn off.
Old Fri May 31, 2013, 10:40pm
In Time Out

also be sure to correct your supervisors. They like that. Trust me

(But really I've had conflicting advice a few times. Just roll with it and learn.
And become cocky and confident. Like many of the NBA refs
Old Sat Jun 01, 2013, 09:09am
Esteemed Forum Member

Sugar And Spice ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
Just roll with it and learn.
Do not, I repeat, do not roll your eyes, and under no circumstances, and I mean no circumstances, state, "Whatever", at the same time. I've got two daughters so I'm used to it. Your supervisors may not be, and may react in a negative manner.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Jun 01, 2013 at 09:30am.
Old Tue Jun 04, 2013, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

feedback, at suwanee

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachbasket View Post
BNF - He does care about running hard. I believe running hard and hustling to get an angle to see the play to make a decision (call or no call) can be the same or two different things. False hustle and running just to run don't help any of us.

Regarding the official attending Orlando. Did you go to Suwanee back in May to the Gibbons camp? If so who evaluated you and what feedback did you receive. That will help you decide what you need to work on when you attend the STP in Orlando. It will also help me help you in making recommendations. I would also recommend you inform you clinicians prior to each game the 1 or 2 things you intend to work on that game so they can take note and provide feedback

Be genuine, staff can see right through the campers that talk just to talk. Big turn off.
yes i did go to the gibbons camp in may. the first two days I worked for 3 older gentleman that eye out talent for his staff, and 1 NBA offcial. The last day I worked in front of Joe, and heater and two more on his staff for the semi finals for the 17 age group and a Joe did the feedback for that game. any feed back from you will be appreciated
Old Tue Jun 04, 2013, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
My .02....

glad you saw what i was saying in the post. not cocky but confident. I feel you need that at a higher level of officiating. thanks and i Appreciate all feedback and work on things I am told. not just a hard headed youngster thinking he knows everything!
Old Tue Jun 04, 2013, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Forgive me, but maybe you should be around longer than 2 posts before you worry about what others say to you. I did not recall anyone telling you something that was out of line or not good advice. Good luck at the camp, but that does not mean anything. Many of us have been invited to stuff and it did not mean much of anything but more money out of your pocket.

Peace
Nothing was out of line that they said. I think some just misunderstood me as thinking i was cocky. I was simply saying im not GREEN. your right it might not mean anything but when 15 officials got invited from previous suwanee camp out of 100 officials there, it give you hope and determination to work hard on the feedback you receive so I can make the roster. I appreciate all feed back at every level and not cocky. I am how ever confident with my officiating and I carry that on the court. I think it is something that is needed at higher levels of officiating. Thanks
Old Tue Jun 04, 2013, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

I don't know you... I only know you by what you write. But you don't come across as confident, you come across as cocky. Perhaps this might help:

Confidence is an internal thing more than an external thing.
Cockiness is an external thing more than an internal thing.

Confidence is often seen in your actions, and your reactions.
Cockiness is often seen in your words.
And if you're truly confident, and not cocky, you don't need those words.

Your ending statement in your first post, no matter how you try to wrap it up, comes across as 100% cockiness, not confidence.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Jun 04, 2013, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
I don't know you... I only know you by what you write. But you don't come across as confident, you come across as cocky. Perhaps this might help:

Confidence is an internal thing more than an external thing.
Cockiness is an external thing more than an internal thing.

Confidence is often seen in your actions, and your reactions.
Cockiness is often seen in your words.
And if you're truly confident, and not cocky, you don't need those words.

Your ending statement in your first post, no matter how you try to wrap it up, comes across as 100% cockiness, not confidence.
perhaps I am a little bit of both! My original post was sent out asking about a certain camp mainly looking for guys who have attended. I was simply stating things so they wouldnt say run hard, have strong mechanics, etc. I was just saying im not GREEN. You are right, I think I do carry a bit of both.