The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 16, 2013, 01:48am
Official Forum Member

So THIS is why they tell me to keep my cell on...

I haven't done one of these before but this is so unlikely I wanted to share.

As I was about to get on the bus last night to head into work I see a call from one of my sons on my cell. Since it was 11:45 PM (EDT) I figured it couldn't be good, so I call him. He says, "Dad, your assignor (high school) just called. He said call him because he wants to know if you can work the championship game at the Garden tomorrow (Saturday)." On a good day I don't process things well around midnight so I said, "What?" He said the exact same thing and given the only game at Madison Square Garden on my son's radar was the Big East final, I realized he wasn't joking.

I call my assignor and, grumpy but funny guy that he is, he apologizes for calling me 12 hours before the game but the upshot is someone backed out at the last minute so he reached out to me. I'm trying to calculate the timing as my bus heads towards NYC but I blurt out "Yes, I'll be there" for the noon tip. I call my girlfriend, get off the bus and she drives me back to where I parked my car since I now have to drive in to work and check my bag to make sure I have the right gear...the joys of working boys and girls under two different codes.

So...in about nine hours after I send this I'll lucky and blessed enough to be one of the three officials on the court for the NYC AA public boys' championship game at Madison Square Garden. I don't kid myself to even think I'm one of the top 10-20 boys' basketball officials in NYC let alone one of the top three but I also realize if I hadn't done the job well over the years while not providing headaches for my assignor, he wouldn't have called me. I'll just try to do what I always do: run my butt off and stay out of the kids' way as much as possible.

However, my main goal will be not to fall asleep on the court.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Sat Mar 16, 2013, 02:36am
Official Forum Member

Congrats! Know that I will find a copy of your game and post it all over the forum.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sat Mar 16, 2013, 03:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
Congrats! Know that I will find a copy of your game and post it all over the forum.
Remember, I work in TV. I can make sure all video proof is deleted
Old Sat Mar 16, 2013, 06:27am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Congrats and good for you! Enjoy!!
Old Sat Mar 16, 2013, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

And a happy st pats day to you!

Congrats!!
Old Sat Mar 16, 2013, 09:20am
#thereferee99

Awesome.

Have a great call.
Old Sat Mar 16, 2013, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

It's all about opportunity; make the most of it. Congrats!!!!
Old Sat Mar 16, 2013, 10:38am
Esteemed Participant

That is awesome! Have a blast doing the game! Major congrats to you!
Old Sat Mar 16, 2013, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Since you're an AV guy how about one of those head cams?
Old Sat Mar 16, 2013, 10:55am
Official & Member

Congrats. Don't let the bright lights and cameras rattle you...remember to breathe...and as JRut told me...DFIU!

Please give us the post mortem when it's over. Hopefully we won't be reviewing your game on Youtube.

Last edited by Bad Zebra; Sat Mar 16, 2013 at 11:00am.
Old Sat Mar 16, 2013, 06:57pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

And don't forget the first, er, never mind.
Old Sat Mar 16, 2013, 08:26pm
Official Forum Member

Battle of the Presidents

Since there is no mention of the refs, I would think you had a great game.

Abraham Lincoln boys basketball team wins PSAL Class A championship, beating Thomas Jefferson at Madison Square Garden, 65-52 - NY Daily News
Old Sat Mar 16, 2013, 09:13pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Anyone else notice the story headline says "Class A" while the story and the banner in the picture show class AA? Another typo for the New York Daily Newz. OOOPS!
Old Sat Mar 16, 2013, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

Got in, got out and no one noticed!

The day went better than I could've imagined especially when you factor in that I was awake all night. The first hurdle was getting into the building but all nightmares ending with "Sir, your name isn't on the list" didn't come true. Walking to the dressing room there was a bit of an out-of-body experience. I started thinking, "This is really me heading to the officials' dressing room in MSG. That's pretty cool!" The hardest part before the game was waiting in the dressing room for the countdown clock to start. That's when panic #2 hit me: "OMG, I'm about to forget everything I've ever known about basketball." Then I relaxed myself with the thought, "It's the same game, just in a bigger gym."

My partners had worked stuff like this before (one had been in the state playoffs and both had worked city AA semis, which are held at St. John's). Our R had a great pre-game, especially concerning keeping the coaches in their boxes. We spent the game moving them back but didn't have to get tough since they were coaching as opposed to bothering us. I was the first one to move someone back (Lincoln's coach) since he was standing at midcourt yelling instructions. As I walk him back he says, "But I can't talk that loud! They won't hear me!" which made the scorers' table crack up and relaxed me even more.

The game was uneventful, thank goodness, as you can tell by the newspaper report. I won't have to post anything about myself on YouTube. The kids played and we just called the game. Our assignor came in afterwards and told us we did a great job and that, unlike last year, there's no way the losing team was going to do the, "We lost because of the officials" rant. The most challenging part of the game? Dealing with the Jefferson cheerleaders! They didn't want to stay behind the line they have for them, with one girl saying to me, "I can't cheer from back there! How do you expect me to cheer from back there when I have no room?!" Really, sweetheart?

The most draining part of the day was the complete focus. None of us wants to screw up but the intensity of that game in that environment keeps your brain on alert for the entire, in this case, hour and 45 minutes. The game itself isn't an issue. I've worked games with kids like this before. Add in the environment and what's at stake for the players and after today I truly understand what D1 officials tell us at camps when they say if you're doing your job the way you ought to you should be more mentally than physically tired when the game is done.

Awkward moment of the day? Giving the wrong number of a Jefferson player who committed a foul. I knew who the call was against but just misread the number. I got it corrected about five seconds after the Jefferson coaches started complaining.

Awkward moment of the day, Part II? The officials' dressing area is split into two lounges by a door. The female officials from the girls' game were on the other side doing a post mortem when their assignor comes in, the woman who also assigns me for GV...who, after giving me a pretty good and full schedule, gave me one playoff game this season. (edited)

The most satisfying part of the day? Falling into bed this afternoon

The most satisfying part of the day, Part II? I wrote this in an e-mail to the assignors who put me on the game, thanking them for having faith in me: I may never be lucky enough to do this again but at least I know I can. That's worth everything.

Last edited by JetMetFan; Sun Mar 17, 2013 at 10:42am.
Old Sat Mar 16, 2013, 11:16pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

Great post JMF. Sounds like you had a terrific time and also did a really good job. Triple congrats from me.